oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, final thoughts and messages to our former boss...........

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any competent manager would have kept that squad up.  Your football was awful.  Your press conferences were worse.  You set the club back a few years by staying on as long as you did.

Thanks for being the person that kept us from relegation, a task anybody but Woody could manage with that team.  So what I really say is, thanks for not being Woody, I guess ...   

He didn't manage them though did he?  Can never really understand that point when it's made.  We had players whose contracts ended and they left.  During the season he couldn't get a tune out of them

Posted Images

Thank you Neil for coming in our time of need you didn't have to answer Gibsons call when we were in crisis 6 weeks from League 1. But you did and you managed to motivate the squad to keep us up as God knows what would of happened if we went down so I really thank you. 

I also thank you massively on restructuring the squad to provide a platform for Wilder to now push on. Meanwhile your work and engagement with fans can not be understated. They was never a dull press conference with you! You kept fans engaged in covid times with your massively charamatic character. 

I hope you enjoy a great retirement and hope you come watch many boro games in the future! 

• Like 3

I read NW is doing the media rounds gloating about his achievements. One thing stood out for me was his take on his importance stating he never looked at clubs or players but measured himself against other managers rating himself higher. I’m better then him. He certainly has a lot of belief and a huge ego. 
Just wonder if the media round is his final swan song.  

14 hours ago, Leesider said:

You might have to fill me in on that. With who? When? I thought he said he wasnt even involved in negotiations with our targets.

He mentioned it numerous times... "We won't hang around for these lads." "If they can't decide whether they they want to play for a club like Middlesbrough then we don't want them." I'm paraphrasing but this was trotted out a fair bit during the summer.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Humpty said:

He mentioned it numerous times... "We won't hang around for these lads." "If they can't decide whether they they want to play for a club like Middlesbrough then we don't want them." I'm paraphrasing but this was trotted out a fair bit during the summer.

Aye and his first summer. He said the players he was talking to had a week to decide and this was in the very first week of the transfer window being open. And everyone was loving him for it.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I read NW is doing the media rounds gloating about his achievements. One thing stood out for me was his take on his importance stating he never looked at clubs or players but measured himself against other managers rating himself higher. I’m better then him. He certainly has a lot of belief and a huge ego. 
Just wonder if the media round is his final swan song.  

Matches up to his press conferences and interviews, pre and post-match. All those times he made a situation sound like it was against him or that it was somebody else's fault when he had a problem and never his own, that comes from his ego and that belief in himself. Perhaps unsurprising considering every bloody time we were on Sky (as an example), they couldn't help but ram his achievements down everybody's throat. In the game he's clearly held in high regard for what he's done and that's fair enough but at this point it seems like it's just helped to create this persona that doesn't even acknowledge personal fault and that can only be to the detriment of the club he's managing.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Matches up to his press conferences and interviews, pre and post-match. All those times he made a situation sound like it was against him or that it was somebody else's fault when he had a problem and never his own, that comes from his ego and that belief in himself. Perhaps unsurprising considering every bloody time we were on Sky (as an example), they couldn't help but ram his achievements down everybody's throat. In the game he's clearly held in high regard for what he's done and that's fair enough but at this point it seems like it's just helped to create this persona that doesn't even acknowledge personal fault and that can only be to the detriment of the club he's managing.

Believing your own hype is never a good thing.

But I suppose its hard to avoid if the media are basically reflecting your own opinions back at you.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

He dangles the retirement card to give of this persona he will come back to the game for the love of the game.  

My impression is he does it to maximise one last cash in. 

Personally I'd rather have a more hungry and younger manager motivated by ambition rather than an old man who claims to be retiring for the last 5 years 

Is his record really that impressive, beside longevity? Not knocking it at all as the number of games is an achievement, but I've never quite understood the aura around him as this ultimate Championship manager. 

One promotion in the last ten years. Nothing of note in the PL in his whole career. Win % isn't amazing for a career in the lower leagues.

Wilder has had three promotions since 2016. 

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Is his record really that impressive, beside longevity? Not knocking it at all as the number of games is an achievement, but I've never quite understood the aura around him as this ultimate Championship manager. 

One promotion in the last ten years. Nothing of note in the PL in his whole career. Win % isn't amazing for a career in the lower leagues.

Wilder has had three promotions since 2016. 

David Moyes has just broken the 1,000 game barrier. If he sticks around another 10 years or so, he could get close to Warnock's record...

3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I tend to agree but don’t understand why in this day and age the media find his bullying as acceptable or even funny. It seems to be justified as OK because players and staff highly regarded him, but most victims do out of fear of reprisals or even blame themselves. 
Mind you I find it difficult to judge people on there past against today’s acceptable quality because the environment and culture was so much different. I guess we could look at several examples including Alex Ferguson. 

Edited by sanddancer
15 hours ago, AllBoro10 said:

Anyone heard from Craig Johns today? Last I heard he was running round Cornwall naked shouting Neil Warnocks red and white army 

They'll just think he's a druid or a crazy hermit.

Fairly normal behaviour for that part of the world. 😁