oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock, final thoughts and messages to our former boss...........

37 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

What an illuminating and balanced article. And what a shame the Gazette couldn't publish something like that.

Heh. I suspect job security factors into their editorial decision making... 😉

• Like 1
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any competent manager would have kept that squad up.  Your football was awful.  Your press conferences were worse.  You set the club back a few years by staying on as long as you did.

Thanks for being the person that kept us from relegation, a task anybody but Woody could manage with that team.  So what I really say is, thanks for not being Woody, I guess ...   

He didn't manage them though did he?  Can never really understand that point when it's made.  We had players whose contracts ended and they left.  During the season he couldn't get a tune out of them

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

That article makes me wonder about those players he dismissed last summer because he could tell they weren't good players after 30 seconds of footage. He clearly didn't have an open mind about any players apart from the ones he identified himself until they were forced on him this season. God knows what kind of quality we missed out on. 

Precisely and the conflict of interests aren't exactly hard to spot. In the clubs defence over the years they've learnt that managers cannot be trusted to be given full reigns over who's signed or not.

It's too much power in one mans hands especially now in more recent history where they have family members working within the industry as agents. 

Ultimately Gibson has to balance two industries. One in industrial transportation and one where it's a murky world of jobs for the boys. 

I personally believe the club could have had a superior start to this season under different management, let alone said manager mouthing off publicly that the club failed to show him respect or give him the power he craved.  

Not exactly the bubbly grandad image he likes to portray 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, captainSK said:

They are a large company who happen to represent quite a number of our summer targets (Pelts, Kean Bryan, Paul Mullin, Tommy Doyle at least). A lot of these were targets we “couldn’t get over the line” or that the club “dithered”.

Damnit, missed James Collins off that list too.

2 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

What an illuminating and balanced article. And what a shame the Gazette couldn't publish something like that.

Craig Johns is too close to Warnock to ever write something this critical. Not sure about Dom Shaw...

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

It'll be interesting to see how players like Payero, Siliki and Sporar react to a manager that is less oldschool like Warnock and apparently a lot more progressive and puts more emphasis on technique and keeping the ball on the floor. It seems so weird that a player with Silikis pedigree has had such a poor start. He must have been think "what have I signed up to here". Hopefully a change of manager and tactics will help.

I wonder how easy his obligations to buy are to hit? I wonder if we've said to him "look don't worry, this guy will be gone soon..."

I will say if Siliki is gonna have to play in a team that passes the ball quickly, he's gonna have to improve from what we've seen. His passing and touch have been less effective than Tav's decision making, sometimes the simplest of passes that he's had on have evaded him whilst he's put a couple of really good crosses into the box on occasion.

He won't even be getting the benefit of being part of the early Wilder work either as he's off on international duty again. Then Cameroon are hosting the AFCON through most of January and early February so he's likely going away again.

I don't feel like he's been integrated properly at all.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing the article. Clearly things went very wrong this year, Warnock wasn’t even taking subtle digs at the recruitment team and failing to get these deals over the line did seem deliberate at times. Don’t want to think about who we might have missed out on last season. 
Interesting that the two comments under the article both take Warnock’s side! We will need patience with the new recruitment approach but I’m really looking forward to see how things go. 

20 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I will say if Siliki is gonna have to play in a team that passes the ball quickly, he's gonna have to improve from what we've seen. His passing and touch have been less effective than Tav's decision making, sometimes the simplest of passes that he's had on have evaded him whilst he's put a couple of really good crosses into the box on occasion.

He won't even be getting the benefit of being part of the early Wilder work either as he's off on international duty again. Then Cameroon are hosting the AFCON through most of January and early February so he's likely going away again.

I don't feel like he's been integrated properly at all.

You're right of course, but then we're criticising his short passing, touch etc when we know there's been very minimal effort to work on that kind of play in training. So we don't know how hell integrate when we actually practice and set up to play in that way. 

• Like 1

Glad to see the back of Warnock, his job was to get us out of a mess and he did that, but I don't think the club wanted to see this as a wasted season given its the beginning of a FFP cycle and the  investment this summer.

I don't disagree with him about us  being a couple of players away from a team that can challenge.

Wilder looks to be  another brought in inline with a long term plan. I am looking forward to seeing the team develop under someone progressive  and seeing how he gets the best out of Payero , Sporar Siliki and Tav.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Leesider said:

Spot on that man, This seems to have turned out be a character assassination rather than a reflection on his time at the club, That it seems to be based  on conjecture, speculation, rumour ,guesswork & what was said down the chipper by somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody in the club leaves a sour taste. 

My post wasn't based on conjecture, speculation, rumour, or guesswork.  I stuck to the facts.  Our results under him weren't that good, our signings either haven't been that good, or simply haven't played well enough to be seen as good.  He got the best out of very few players really - maybe that one is less factual and more opinion but I think it's about right.

20 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

You're right of course, but then we're criticising his short passing, touch etc when we know there's been very minimal effort to work on that kind of play in training. So we don't know how hell integrate when we actually practice and set up to play in that way. 

I agree, just hope that the next 6 weeks from when they return is enough for him to actually get going before he gets called back up for AFCON. Probably wouldn't mind so much if he was actually playing for his country but I don't think he is, is he? Is he just gonna be sat on the bench for another month there?

48 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I agree, just hope that the next 6 weeks from when they return is enough for him to actually get going before he gets called back up for AFCON. Probably wouldn't mind so much if he was actually playing for his country but I don't think he is, is he? Is he just gonna be sat on the bench for another month there?

yep pretty much.

Neil just cant help himself eh, calling out players and management not giving him what he wants, but yet saying we are good enough for promotion and he built a good team. 

If we have any success this season Warnock will take credit for it season end, guaranteed. 

If is definitely the word and whilst he can point to the improvement in Bola and to an extent Dijksteel, and the emergence of Jones and Coburn, there are still problems in other areas that were there when he arrived, such as an obvious first-choice goalkeeper, an established playmaker and a solid centre-back pairing, so the team is still very much a work in progress and hopefully over the next few months the work will progress..  and if they can reduce the constant repetitive injuries, then that would be a major step forward. Main thing is that hopefully will be less "me" and more "we"..    and we start to see more smiles than frowns                                         UTB  

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Old Codger said:

If is definitely the word and whilst he can point to the improvement in Bola and to an extent Dijksteel, and the emergence of Jones and Coburn, there are still problems in other areas that were there when he arrived, such as an obvious first-choice goalkeeper, an established playmaker and a solid centre-back pairing, so the team is still very much a work in progress and hopefully over the next few months the work will progress..  and if they can reduce the constant repetitive injuries, then that would be a major step forward. Main thing is that hopefully will be less "me" and more "we"..    and we start to see more smiles than frowns                                         UTB  

You mention Dijksteel and though partly agree with you I have to say that I am not impressed with his throw in capability nor his passing skills moving forward certainly the WBA game being an example.

That aspect I hope will get better

• Like 1