oneBoro Forum

Chris Wilder - The full lowdown

I haven’t watched EastEnders for years either ‘Codge. Last time I did it was packed brimful of lies, deceit and ridiculous storylines…something Teacider clearly finds attractive in his managers press conferences 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning everyone. I'm a Sheffield United supporter and have seen with interest that you've appointed Chris Wilder. I'm a season ticket and have been for the last 20 years, and I'm a regular at mo

Just saw this one on Twitter... Before Wilder, Boro created more than 3.0 xG twice in 200 games. Wilder has done it in six. 

Just for balance, I had my booster 3 weeks ago and had a slightly sore arm for a few hours, but that was all, don’t let any possible side effects put you off, they are quite rare. 

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Yeah I'm with @Humptyon this one. Anyone who actually enjoyed Warnock's pressers for anything other than playing "blatant lie" bingo needs their head examining.

I'm with TeaCider24, when he said maybe try not being a *** all the time?

Many fans enjoyed his press conferences, at many clubs.

But Humpty and DZ are the arbiters of what we can enjoy.

I'll get myself checked in for an appointment, I apologise for enjoying them.

7 minutes ago, mj south said:

What was it about his pressers that you liked?

I found them to become very repetitive and boring with blaming refereeing and "the foreigners" for every result that went against us

I obviously did not enjoy them at the end, nobody did.

His excuses wore thin and it started to become clear he was edging towards an exit in the near future, but I found them very enjoyable when things weren't going wrong.

Warnock could be very charismatic and charming when he wanted to be, he obviously defaulted to blaming the officials and throwing individual players under the bus when he was struggling.

I've yet to see Wilder struggling with us, so I don't know how press conferences would be in those circumstances.

But I found peak Warnock press conference more enjoyable than the current Wilder ones, and we're doing quite well right now.

I'm very happy Wilder is our manager, and I was so pleased when he was appointed, press conferences are only a small part of being a manager.

That's not even me saying that I'm not enjoying Wilder's, they're far better than Monk's, I found Karanka's press conferences dreadful, I wasn't a huge fan of Pulis' either, Mowbray's were very dour too.

• Like 3

Warnock was all about the 'bantz'.

I could only accept it and perhaps enjoy it when things were going well to begin with. Early on when it was keeping us up and winning every other game in the process, you've got to enjoy it. We'd had an awful time that year and coming in during the initial return from lockdown to keep us up shouldn't be forgotten.

But last season, we went through some really tough spells. We started alright but it soon when down the *** pan. When that happens, the first thing you want to see is some sense of accountability, responsibility, action, etc. Warnock was at the time, continued to be and remains so far up his own backside that he was never going to look at it that way. When it was injuries, it was nothing to do with him or his staff despite bringing in his own fitness person. When it was recruitment, it was nothing to do with him or his staff despite him sending Blackwell and Jepson to watch players.

Once that became clear that in those times he was going to absolve himself of any blame, that's when I was done with it. Once I experienced that, I pretty much knew I couldn't take it during the good times either. Especially this season, those 3 games we won on the bounce, I could give him only the tiniest amount of credit for it because he was so bloody selfish in how he portrayed it, he couldn't wait to get a dig in at those who saw anything but progress and wanted him out after the Hull game because he's not remotely magnanimous in victory or introspective in defeat.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Warnock was all about the 'bantz'.

I could only accept it and perhaps enjoy it when things were going well to begin with. Early on when it was keeping us up and winning every other game in the process, you've got to enjoy it. We'd had an awful time that year and coming in during the initial return from lockdown to keep us up shouldn't be forgotten.

But last season, we went through some really tough spells. We started alright but it soon when down the *** pan. When that happens, the first thing you want to see is some sense of accountability, responsibility, action, etc. Warnock was at the time, continued to be and remains so far up his own backside that he was never going to look at it that way. When it was injuries, it was nothing to do with him or his staff despite bringing in his own fitness person. When it was recruitment, it was nothing to do with him or his staff despite him sending Blackwell and Jepson to watch players.

Once that became clear that in those times he was going to absolve himself of any blame, that's when I was done with it. Once I experienced that, I pretty much knew I couldn't take it during the good times either. Especially this season, those 3 games we won on the bounce, I could give him only the tiniest amount of credit for it because he was so bloody selfish in how he portrayed it, he couldn't wait to get a dig in at those who saw anything but progress and wanted him out after the Hull game because he's not remotely magnanimous in victory or introspective in defeat.

replace Warnock with Johnson, and it still makes sense.

36 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Just saw this one on Twitter...

Before Wilder, Boro created more than 3.0 xG twice in 200 games.

Wilder has done it in six. 

This is a crazy stat. It shows what a massive impact he has had straight away. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Just saw this one on Twitter...

Before Wilder, Boro created more than 3.0 xG twice in 200 games.

Wilder has done it in six. 

I still don't really "get" xG or why it's become so prevalent in football analysis but that sounds impressive!

51 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I still don't really "get" xG or why it's become so prevalent in football analysis but that sounds impressive!

You and me both!

Just another statistic which some seem to place great faith in for some reason.

2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

You and me both!

Just another statistic which some seem to place great faith in for some reason.

54 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

It tries to measure the quality of your chances on a scale of 0-1, which is something that was never really measured previously. Before xG, a shot was a shot. So now, a tap in might be given an xG of 1 as a player would almost always be expected to score, whereas a 40 yard screamer might have an xG of near to zero.

For example if a team had five shots on target you may think they were unlucky not to score - but if they were all daisy-cutters from 30 yards that the keeper saved with his eyes shut, the overall xG would be low. Whereas when Watmore skies a literal open goal and it's recorded as a single shot off target... The high xG will suggest we were unlucky not to score. 

xG is not perfect by any means and stats never tell the full story, but it has it's uses in combination with other stats to build a picture of a game.

Long story short, we're creating multiple high quality chances per game. 

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Whereas when Watmore skies a literal open goal and it's recorded as a single shot off target... The high xG will suggest we were unlucky not to score. 

It didn't though.

We had an xG of 0.34 against Stoke when Watmore missed an open goal from a few yards out.

2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

It didn't though.

We had an xG of 0.34 against Stoke when Watmore missed an open goal from a few yards out.

Yeah that was a weird one. Should have been close to 1 only for that chance alone.