• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God, losing that "e" is a dangerous game......

Posted Images

Just now, Dan1234 said:

Trying to look at it from a neutral perspective I just can't see why on earth you go from Boro to Burnley. 

We have some really good young players coming through, Burnley are a ageing poor squad. They didn't spend any money in the prem so I'd be really surprised if they spent anything after getting relegated. In fact I can see Burnley doing a bit of a Sunderland. I'd say our transfer budget will be higher than theirs after selling Spence or whoever.   

Thats what I've always thought, its a move that doesn't make a lot of sense. Burnley have dodgy American owners who have apparently borrowed money to buy the club and are using the clubs income to service the debt. 

Why leave here to go to a club who are likely to be in our division anyway next season, and to work for a tinpot version of the Glazers. 

• Like 1

I cant find exact article but Gazette confirmed Wilder signed a 2.5yr deal with us until the end of the 2024 season.

The article below has a list of when all the Boro players are out of contract and it has our management team as being here until 2024.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-squad-contract-expiry-dates-22201169.amp

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Johnmfc81 said:

Let's face it even if he joins Burnley and they do get relegated, their transfer budget is still likely to be bigger than ours.

I'm not sure that is correct. 

Wilder can only be considering this in the hope of keeping Burnley up so he can spend lots of money in the summer. There's no other draw I can see.

In the Championship, Burnley are a smaller club with an ageing squad, an inferior youth setup, inferior training facilities, a smaller stadium, foreign owners and more pressing debts. It simply isn't an upwards step, or even a sideways one, if - as looks likely - they get relegated. Having a bigger transfer budget - if they even do compared to us selling Spence and maybe one or two other saleable assets - won't count for much given the scale of rebuilding required at Burnley.

It's not even as though Wilder would have more job security at Burnley. What they did to Dyche after nine years of overperforming was pretty shabby considering they're only three points off safely.

Just now, Johnmfc81 said:

Parachute payments surely will be larger than what we would have to spend? 

Like I said I'm pretty sure their owners need to take money out of the club each season to service the debt they built up when they acquired the club. 

I'm not sure they're gonna come down and suddenly start throwing money around. They haven't really done it in the Premier league and id be surprised if they did it in the 2nd tier. Also a lot of parachute payments are usually swallowed up by Premier league wages. 

I'd like to think that we might have a bit of money to spend ourselves with the Spence sale and maybe removing a couple of others from our wage bill. 

I might be totally wrong of course, even if the Burnley owners tell Wilder he can use money from player sales as his transfer budget that could be enough for a pretty decent budget. 

Maybe selling Pope and Tarkowski would be enough to buy 5 or 6 players st our level. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Like I said I'm pretty sure their owners need to take money out of the club each season to service the debt they built up when they acquired the club. 

I'm not sure they're gonna come down and suddenly start throwing money around. They haven't really done it in the Premier league and id be surprised if they did it in the 2nd tier. Also a lot of parachute payments are usually swallowed up by Premier league wages. 

I'd like to think that we might have a bit of money to spend ourselves with the Spence sale and maybe removing a couple of others from our wage bill. 

I might be totally wrong of course, even if the Burnley owners tell Wilder he can use money from player sales as his transfer budget that could be enough for a pretty decent budget. 

Maybe selling Pope and Tarkowski would be enough to buy 5 or 6 players st our level. 

I hope Wilder doesn't leave, as I like the guy and the improvement in the way we play, (well not the last 4 games anyway) but overall its been good. Just seems odd for them to sack Dyche out of the blue, then suddenly we have all the Wilder talk. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I also don't really get the draw other than they currently are a prem team. Just trying to find some logic behind it all.

Daniel Farke signed up to manage a Ukrainian club in January but hasn't actually managed them thanks to Vlad's Spring Break down on the Odessa Coastline. He seemed a reasonable well adjusted Manager during his time at Carrow Road, Farke that is not Putin!