oneBoro Forum

I like rhinos

2 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Our dear departed friend Juninho10 was probably into grime, judging by his 'urban' language, but we kicked him off the forum.

Bloody Gen Z-ers, coming on here, bringing their modern cultural tropes, unable to remember a time when you had to ring the internet to get connected, or a time when you could only troll people through the letters page of the local paper.

For many of us on here the Trimphone was the ultimate in future Technology! (maybe still is for some).

• Haha 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God, losing that "e" is a dangerous game......

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

What's your point?  Somebody else brought Charlton/Karanka into it, not me.  I'm saying I'd rather it wasn't a version of what happened then, not that I'm expecting it to be.  Maybe read what I'm actually writing, and use some of that critical thinking you were talking about earlier, if you're capable of it.

My point lad is that you've consistently railed against people being reactionary on here but you seem to have failed to do so in this situation. 

You keep mentioning that burnley have done this or that, x y or z has happened here when there's no evidence of it at all. You said your thinking logically but I disagree. I think you've accepted the worst possible scenario as the likeliest because your an arch-cynic, and that's your default.

1 minute ago, Smogzilla said:

My point lad is that you've consistently railed against people being reactionary on here but you seem to have failed to do so in this situation. 

You keep mentioning that burnley have done this or that, x y or z has happened here when there's no evidence of it at all. You said your thinking logically but I disagree. I think you've accepted the worst possible scenario as the likeliest because your an arch-cynic, and that's your default.

No, I keep mentioning what I think has happened.  I'm pretty clear about that, I don't think I've ever suggested I know what has been going on.  I'm not ITK and have never claimed to be.

I haven't been reactionary.  For one thing I don't care if Wilder is or isn't the manager.  I'd be no more bothered about it if he'd walked into the press conference today and announced that he was off to Burnley, which I think makes me different to about 99% of the people on here, including yourself.  My interest has simply been about what the truth is.  Not finding a truth that somehow works best for Boro, just what the actual truth is.  I don't believe that having been asked twice, he couldn't find a way to give a more definitive answer, unless there was something to it, and he didn't want to lie.  People have suggested that he was so upset after the Huddersfield game that this was governing his thinking.  However that doesn't explain being asked after the Bournemouth game, and it doesn't explain the silence this week while all this was going on.  I'm not on social media so the nonsense on there doesn't influence my opinion, I've got no idea about betting odds cos I've never bothered to look, precisely cos I wasn't bothered whether he was staying or going.  I've just based everything on what he himself has said, the chronology of it all, and bit of knowledge about how things operate in football.

There was no worst case scenario for me cos I didn't, and don't care even now, whether Wilder is our manager or not.  There was a worst case scenario for you however, that of Wilder potentially being interested in another job, and you were completely unwilling to countenance it, which isn't thinking logically with respect.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

The daft thing is that he's just told you that he had a long meeting with Gibson yesterday.  Do people really think that this is just coincidence?  Think about it.

"It is understood that the meetings on Thursday were planned in advance and were not a reaction to the Burnley links with Wilder."

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wilder-steve-gibson-middlesbrough-meeting-23758858

And he said himself that the meeting was about summer plans and about the future of the club.

Whether or not you want to believe that is up to you. 

• Like 3

The same article in the Gazette also said:

"While the speculation and Wilder's future was absolutely discussed at the meeting amid Burnley's interest, the get together had always been planned to look ahead to the future beyond the current season, with Gibson and Wilder first meeting privately before the pair were then joined by head of football Kieran Scott, chief executive Neil Bausor, and two of Wilder's trusted lieutenants who came to the club with him, assistant Alan Knill and analyst Mike Allen".

You can take out of that article whatever your bias is seeking and just digest the bits you want to hear and believe in deeply  whilst skimming over the other bits that might not fit with a particular narrative. Bottom line is that Wilder has spilt the fan base with his behaviour, then stuck it back together as best he could with sticky backed tape this morning.

Consequences are that there are now two extremes to the scale, those with their rose tinted specs and foam hands insulating themselves from anything that might upset their sensitivities and love for CW and those at the opposite end with a more than distrusting, cynical, disbelieving view of the weeks proceedings and watching on now with caution just looking and waiting for a slip. Hopefully most fans emotions will fall somewhere in the middle area at least for the time being until or unless he proves himself to be whatever it is you want him to be.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

"It is understood that the meetings on Thursday were planned in advance and were not a reaction to the Burnley links with Wilder."

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wilder-steve-gibson-middlesbrough-meeting-23758858

And he said himself that the meeting was about summer plans and about the future of the club.

Whether or not you want to believe that is up to you. 

I'm not sure I do believe that mate, no.  I believe that's what the club has told the Gazette certainly but do we need to go through examples of the club lying about stuff to the Gazette or can we accept that the Gazette get whatever MFC want the truth to be?  I don't think I'm being overly harsh or cynical there am I?  I think it is an amazing coincidence that they held a meeting yesterday, the day before Wilder was scheduled to speak to the press again, and that this was planned long before it.  It could definitely be the case, I do accept that for what it's worth, but you'd have to say it was fortunate timing if it was.

If this was simply a strategy meeting about summer plans then I'm confused as to why the director of football wasn't present?  It was clearly stated that the meeting was with Gibson only, and that they went for a meal later with Bausor and Scott.  I'm assuming here that Scott is central to our summer plans but this assumption could be incorrect of course, which probably leads to some different questions or certainly should do.  I'm confused about why we're doing it now when we don't know what division we will be in?  Again, I have to assume that the division we are in will be a major determinant on our summer plans.

From reading the articles, it is claimed that the Burnley situation was discussed in this meeting.  What situation?  There was no situation apparently, so were they discussing that there was nothing to discuss?  Not the most efficient use of time you'd think.

I just don't see why some people are so adamant that there is nothing to all of this?  As though it's impossible that someone on behalf of Burnley contacted Wilder's agent to ask if he might be interested in the job, and that Wilder wouldn't immediately dismiss it out of hand, that he might at least be interested in what they had to say - his salary, their plans, their budgets or whatever.  This is his career, why wouldn't he listen to someone talking to him about a potential job offer?  Most people would at least hear them out, right, whatever line of work you're in?  We'll have done the same when we were after Monk.

9 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Brilliant post!

Yep exactly the same with Sporar even though hes a poor mans Szilard Nemeth for me.... Cant wait for when/if he gets his move to Spain 🙂.

I'm not a fan at all. I called it after about 3 games watching him. Not good enough in any department. Strange because he has 10-15 minutes the odd game where he looks a good player. I honestly just don't think he has the desire or drive to play at the top level... 'heart of a pea' I think the term is.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

No, I keep mentioning what I think has happened.  I'm pretty clear about that, I don't think I've ever suggested I know what has been going on.  I'm not ITK and have never claimed to be.

I haven't been reactionary.  For one thing I don't care if Wilder is or isn't the manager.  I'd be no more bothered about it if he'd walked into the press conference today and announced that he was off to Burnley, which I think makes me different to about 99% of the people on here, including yourself.  My interest has simply been about what the truth is.  Not finding a truth that somehow works best for Boro, just what the actual truth is.  I don't believe that having been asked twice, he couldn't find a way to give a more definitive answer, unless there was something to it, and he didn't want to lie.  People have suggested that he was so upset after the Huddersfield game that this was governing his thinking.  However that doesn't explain being asked after the Bournemouth game, and it doesn't explain the silence this week while all this was going on.  I'm not on social media so the nonsense on there doesn't influence my opinion, I've got no idea about betting odds cos I've never bothered to look, precisely cos I wasn't bothered whether he was staying or going.  I've just based everything on what he himself has said, the chronology of it all, and bit of knowledge about how things operate in football.

There was no worst case scenario for me cos I didn't, and don't care even now, whether Wilder is our manager or not.  There was a worst case scenario for you however, that of Wilder potentially being interested in another job, and you were completely unwilling to countenance it, which isn't thinking logically with respect.  

Not I agree with the total post but I think you have your point across really well.

I don't believe the fafzette I mean gazette for one minute.. They once again have sat on the fence all week and changed their opinions based on social media including this forums reaction... 

Just now, Guffie said:

Very off topic but Nathan Fisher is on the bench tonight for U23s

Are you confusing him with the injured Darnell Fisher?

• Haha 1

I'm fairly sure there will have been informal contact somewhere along the line.

The Bournemouth answer I'm quite happy to excuse as him not wanting to disrespect Dyche and discuss a job he doesn't think should be available.

I could understand the post Huddersfield answer as just anger/irritation, but his quotes today certainly don't outright refute any initial interest in the Burnley job.

I'll happily accept he's committed to the club now, but I think it's more complicated than just a misinterpretation of words.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1