oneBoro Forum

I like rhinos

This conversation is so unnecessary. Of course Wilder is going to be interested in other jobs - he wouldn't turn down Barcelona to stay at the Boro - but if he's not considering the Burnley job THIS WEEK, all he had to do yesterday was say "I'm not interested" or "I'm staying here" or "Middlesbrough is my only focus for this season" or literally anything else.

What he actually said was basically a coded "come and get me" to Burnley. And that's pretty poor considering this late stage in the season, what's at stake, and all his previous comments.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God, losing that "e" is a dangerous game......

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

The thing that concerns me with Wilder is that his Sheffield United team hit a massive brick wall and by all accounts he just kept smacking his head against it until it broke him.

He's gone away and had a few months away from football to look at what went wrong, what he could do differently, how he could apply a different style of football to his next team and... just done exactly the same thing.

He's coming across like a massive one-trick pony right now - which I guess is one of the issues in having a manager who's assistant seems to be the brains behind the operation.

It hit a brick wall because the inept Football Director started to bring in players that Wilder didn't want/need for his style of play. By all means that could be the same with us regarding Conolly and Balogun and Sporar (who was already here though). 

• Like 1
Just now, Borodane said:

It hit a brick wall because the inept Football Director started to bring in players that Wilder didn't want/need for his style of play. By all means that could be the same with us regarding Conolly and Balogun and Sporar (who was already here though). 

I agree. In no right mind would any manager want Connolly.

Just now, Borodane said:

Then why has Wilder chosen to play Connolly and Balogun so much, over players who weren't signed by Scott? The only way those two statements could both be true is if Wilder isn't able to pick the team for some reason (contractual obligations to play loan signings, for instance).

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Then why has Wilder chosen to play Connolly and Balogun so much, over players who weren't signed by Scott? The only way those two statements could both be true is if Wilder isn't able to pick the team for some reason (contractual obligations to play loan signings, for instance).

For the record I don't think they were signed over his head, but they are all much of the same and I think he is playing those that apply themselves in training and then obviously shielding young Coburn. Maybe Connolly is actually then best trainer because on the field there really isn't much between him, Sporar, Balogun and Watmore. They are all just not top-6 material.

11 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I don’t think Wilder is annoyed at the set up, he would have known and was happy to come here with the players that Scott was bringing in. 

Now if it’s a case of Scott not being very good at only being able to bring in Balogun and Connolly, that’s a separate issue…

3 minutes ago, Borodane said:

For the record I don't think they were signed over his head, but they are all much of the same and I think he is playing those that apply themselves in training and then obviously shielding young Coburn. Maybe Connolly is actually then best trainer because on the field there really isn't much between him, Sporar, Balogun and Watmore. They are all just not top-6 material.

Apart from output. Eg goals and assists.

21 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

The thing that concerns me with Wilder is that his Sheffield United team hit a massive brick wall and by all accounts he just kept smacking his head against it until it broke him.

He's gone away and had a few months away from football to look at what went wrong, what he could do differently, how he could apply a different style of football to his next team and... just done exactly the same thing.

He's coming across like a massive one-trick pony right now - which I guess is one of the issues in having a manager who's assistant seems to be the brains behind the operation.

Him being a one trick pony was a concern brought up by me and one or two other when he first came.

I didn't think we had the squad for 532 and in all honesty I was shocked at the results and performances until new year although it was clear Jones and crooks were playing out of their skins but there was always the question of what we would be like if Jones got injured.

I think what's happened since January in terms of results and performances is probably more realistic to the players we have in the system and the fact he hasn't properly addressed the deficiencies in the squad in January is really biting us now. I honestly believe those additions were wilders choices more than Scott's.

14 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Clearly there is something contractual ref Connolly.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Him being a one trick pony was a concern brought up by me and one or two other when he first came.

I didn't think we had the squad for 532 and in all honesty I was shocked at the results and performances until new year although it was clear Jones and crooks were playing out of their skins but there was always the question of what we would be like if Jones got injured.

I think what's happened since January in terms of results and performances is probably more realistic to the players we have in the system and the fact he hasn't properly addressed the deficiencies in the squad in January is really biting us now. I honestly believe those additions were wilders choices more than Scott's.

Sporar and Watmore were showing good signs of a partnership...

Hernandez and Uche offered something different from the bench.

Then the disastrous January transfer window took place.

The rest as they say, is history.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Personally I wouldn't be bothered if he did go and we got a nice chunk of compo I'm not convinced he's as good as people are giving him credit for.

You should be bothered. We have a premier league quality manager, and are extremely fortunate to do so. He’s the best we as a club could get and to see fans writing comments like that does make me scratch my head. Boro fans aren’t half an emotional bunch. If we won yesterday, I imagine no one would be batting an eye at his comments. A complete over reaction after a few poor results.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Apart from output. Eg goals and assists.

The numbers are all so small that it almost doesn't matter. They all point towards none of them being good enough. Balogun may have the potential but he's in no way a top half striker in the Championship.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

You should be bothered. We have a premier league quality manager, and are extremely fortunate to do so. He’s the best we as a club could get and to see fans writing comments like that does make me scratch my head. Boro fans aren’t half an emotional bunch. If we won yesterday, I imagine no one would be batting an eye at his comments. A complete over reaction after a few poor results.

It's the timing of the few poor results and no wonder there is a reaction from fans, hopes have gone up in smoke

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Sporar and Watmore were showing good signs of a partnership...

Hernandez and Uche offered something different from the bench.

Then the disastrous January transfer window took place.

The rest as they say, is history.

I think what is clear, at least to me though I may be wrong, is that Wilder doesn't seem to want something different from the bench, he wants more of the same. That's not meant to be a criticism more of an observation. Personally it's not my preference as I would much prefer to mix it up if it's not going to plan but that's not Wilder's way seemingly. I can think of a few games where having a big unit like Uche on for the last twenty minutes with Connolly/Watmore/Balogun etc. feeding off him would have been more effective in my mind than repetitive probing and passing 20 yards out wasn't penetrating but Wilder is wedded to what has brought him success previously much in the same way that Warnock and Pulis were but to no avail.

• Like 1