oneBoro Forum

I like rhinos

4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think what is clear, at least to me though I may be wrong, is that Wilder doesn't seem to want something different from the bench, he wants more of the same. That's not meant to be a criticism more of an observation. Personally it's not my preference as I would much prefer to mix it up if it's not going to plan but that's not Wilder's way seemingly. I can think of a few games where having a big unit like Uche on for the last twenty minutes with Connolly/Watmore/Balogun etc. feeding off him would have been more effective in my mind than repetitive probing and passing 20 yards out wasn't penetrating but Wilder is wedded to what has brought him success previously much in the same way that Warnock and Pulis were but to no avail.

Our passing yesterday was the problem. When we play with the kind of forwards we play with we need to move a lot faster with the ball. Too often we took a touch too many and there was not enough pace on the pass so the recieving player had to wait for the ball for that extra second. We need to move forward with pace to catch teams off balance. When you're too slow you're left facing two solid banks 4 players and that's hard to penetrate. So if you don't move forward you need a big unit like Uche to aim for with punts into the box. I'd rather we perfected our way of keeping the ball on the floor. Add more pace and creativity on the left and get a couple of better strikers. Get McNair into Howsons spot (although Howson have been good heøs not getting younger). 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God, losing that "e" is a dangerous game......

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

It's the timing of the few poor results and no wonder there is a reaction from fans, hopes have gone up in smoke

100% DS. The feel good factor has completely gone, even though there is a slim chance of still getting playoffs. 

Although I’m not overly fussed about Wilders comments, I know a lot of fans are and we’re always going to be, especially after our recent form. Perhaps Wilder could have and should have read the room better, to stop posts (like this one) even becoming a thing.

• Like 2

Listening to Talksport talking about Wilder and Simon Jordan let slip that he was told Wilder had been spotted recently at a Burnley game in the directors box.. make of that what you will 

1 minute ago, DevKWat said:

Listening to Talksport talking about Wilder and Simon Jordan let slip that he was told Wilder had been spotted recently at a Burnley game in the directors box.. make of that what you will 

I very much doubt that. That would be a bit stupid of him as an appearance like that can't be kept a secret.

30 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

You should be bothered. We have a premier league quality manager, and are extremely fortunate to do so. He’s the best we as a club could get and to see fans writing comments like that does make me scratch my head. Boro fans aren’t half an emotional bunch. If we won yesterday, I imagine no one would be batting an eye at his comments. A complete over reaction after a few poor results.

Hes spent one successful season and half of an atrocious season in the prem. Id hardly call him a Premier league quality manager he's still relatively unproven at that level. A manager that cannot adapt his tactics to suit his team or the opposition won't likely be successful for a long period in the Premier league. 

I'm not saying wilder can't do it but I'm not that convinced by what I've seen so far. The new manager bounce give us a great 8-10 weeks but its been quite poor since other than the two cup games and we're just continuing to set up the same and play the same underperformers. 

For what its worth I didn't really want wilder when he came and said so on here at the time so clearly when results are poor I'm not going to be that supportive of him.

1 minute ago, Downsouth said:

It's the timing of the few poor results and no wonder there is a reaction from fans, hopes have gone up in smoke

The timing of it is probably the biggest issue, I have felt that something was amiss before yesterday and was criticised by some for raising it on here. It now appears that there is no smoke without fire and those at the Club will have had a whiff of it long before us. If Wilder's rebuttal to the squad was as obtuse as it was to the Press then no wonder something looked awry perhaps made worse if they all had wind of it but nothing was being said, instead ignoring the Elephant in the room.

Maybe the downturn in results was pure coincidence, I think Fulham was but Hull seemed very poor and yesterday not much better. Bournemouth was so dire from every angle I will pass on that. The tetchy retort to BBC Tees when asked about the slump last week got a very vexed reply which seemed out of character (at least from the one portrayed up until then). Had we beaten Fulham 3-0 and swept both Hull and Huddersfield aside with ease fans would have a different mindset along the lines of no wonder teams are sniffing around with the great job he's doing etc.

But and its a big But! Results and performances haven't been convincing recently (maybe it's just a Chelsea hangover) and right now the Players and Fans could have reasonably expected him to stand up and say "I am Manager of MFC and am going nowhere, we are just starting on a long term project and still have the Play Off's in our sights. That's the only thing on my mind and of interest to me right now, everything else is just idle gossip with zero foundation. Just to be clear I'm going nowhere unless and until SG asks me which hopefully won't be for a very long time".

The fans have been incredibly respectful and loyal to him and his Players even in defeat since he arrived. He has mutually respected and appreciated that and urged his Players to show the same. If there is nothing in it and if he does stay then I hope lessons have been learned in how not to deal with certain situations from a PR perspective.

• Like 2

For me, it seems pretty inevitable. 

So who would everyone’s realistic replacement be?

Bearing in mind we now have a team capable of playing good football on the floor 

I was reading through the Burnley forum and one suggested he had a house over there. What links does Wilder have to the north west? Seems a weird place for him to live. 

5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I very much doubt that. That would be a bit stupid of him as an appearance like that can't be kept a secret.

My immediate thoughts were that too... No way that will have been kept under wraps. 

On the other hand, we know Jordan has a direct line to Gibson. He's saying this happened a while back when Dyche was still there - and he's slating Wilder for it. 

This all just feels like too many coincidences lining up. In particular the lack of any denial, plus being the instant heavy bookies favourite. Now this too. I'm leaning towards he's going and there's discussions about compensation etc behind closed doors.

1 minute ago, DevKWat said:

For me, it seems pretty inevitable. 

So who would everyone’s realistic replacement be?

Bearing in mind we now have a team capable of playing good football on the floor 

Reiziger. Was my first choice anyways. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

My immediate thoughts were that too... No way that will have been kept under wraps. 

On the other hand, we know Jordan has a direct line to Gibson. He's saying this happened a while back when Dyche was still there - and he's slating Wilder for it. 

This all just feels like too many coincidences lining up. In particular the lack of any denial, plus being the instant heavy bookies favourite. Now this too. I'm leaning towards he's going and there's discussions about compensation etc behind closed doors.

not looking good is it, whats the ex Norwich guy up to Frake is it ?

3 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

Reiziger. Was my first choice anyways. 

Ten Haag leaving and Reizeiger is his assistant so I think he either goes to United or gets the main job at Ajax 

I would also add that if he does go, the man has zero integrity. It's not like he's been offered the job to rebuild United or Everton. And Burnley better be ready for the exact same thing to happen to them when a bigger club comes calling. 

In terms of who's next... Don't even want to think about it tbh. This whole thing is just depressing.