oneBoro Forum

I like rhinos

I don’t understand it. 

It’s not an attractive club or proposition apart from solely the parachute payments. Burnley would need to buy him out of his contract with us. I’d expect an outcome in the press conference Thursday/Friday. I’m expecting Gibson to have spoken to him. He’ll either say he’s 100% committed to Middlesbrough or he’ll be leaving us. If he doesn’t say he’s committed he’ll lose the fans.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God, losing that "e" is a dangerous game......

Posted Images

The tweet basically says, I don't know it anything is going on, but If it is, then Gibson will win.

So, the important part of that is that he doesn't know if anything is going on 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RiversideRed said:

I don’t understand it. 

It’s not an attractive club or proposition apart from solely the parachute payments. Burnley would need to buy him out of his contract with us. I’d expect an outcome in the press conference Thursday/Friday. I’m expecting Gibson to have spoken to him. He’ll either say he’s 100% committed to Middlesbrough or he’ll be leaving us. If he doesn’t say he’s committed he’ll lose the fans.

Maybe Wilder has been told that we won't buy Connolly in the summer and he's raging 🤬

We don't know what's happened behind the scenes but I get the feeling this is a shocking display from CW. We were only a few weeks ago, going strong in a push for a top-six finish and a play-off battle. The night against Spurs, etc .. to just let it all fizzle out like this?? 

I could understand if there's a good reason but for Burnley of all clubs?? Fk off .. I think I'll have to find something other than football to follow. How depressing, particularly if the rumours about them poaching Kieran Scott are true as well. 

What's the future hold for us now?? It felt like we were building something, finally, and I bought into it. Feel like an idiot now. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

I don’t understand it. 

Apparently he has had previous discussions with Burnley's new owners during his time with the Blades and was impressed by what they told him but their deal never came off. Pieces are starting to fit unfortunately. I'd also wager that this was going on before Dyche's departure and indeed Dyche himself may be under an NDA as part of his package.

I genuinely don't care whether he is or isn't going.  Who the manager is really isn't important to me in that way.  The key thing for me is understanding what you want to do as a football club, and then making sure you hire someone who reflects those things.  So what style of play do you want, what type of signings, how much importance do you place on youth development, what type of image do you want the club to have, those sorts of things.  There are very few genius managers out there.  There are some good ones, and some not so good ones, but most are hovering somewhere in between.  The critical thing is understanding what you want to be, and then making an appropriate appointment.  It's where I think we've struggled for the most part, cos either we don't know what we want to be, well Gibson doesn't know what he wants us to be, or he wants certain things that I certainly don't want us to be!  I think if you base your decision on simply 'we want to be in the Premier League', and nothing else, you're probably not thinking about it the right way.  

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Has Gibson called wilder in for one of them dinners yet 😁

No but I'd expect Wilder to find a horses head on his pillow very soon. 

• Like 1

It's hard to believe that the reporters of our local rags didn't do some delving into archives. Or there again maybe they did, either way it's another example of why I treat Gazette articles alongside the Beano and the Dandy now.

Just now, Duvel said:

So the mutual admiration between the Burnley owners and Wilder goes back quite a long way then. 

No wonder he was getting irritable and tetchy during those interviews (was it three of them?).

4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I genuinely don't care whether he is or isn't going.  Who the manager is really isn't important to me in that way.  The key thing for me is understanding what you want to do as a football club, and then making sure you hire someone who reflects those things.  So what style of play do you want, what type of signings, how much importance do you place on youth development, what type of image do you want the club to have, those sorts of things.  There are very few genius managers out there.  There are some good ones, and some not so good ones, but most are hovering somewhere in between.  The critical thing is understanding what you want to be, and then making an appropriate appointment.  It's where I think we've struggled for the most part, cos either we don't know what we want to be, well Gibson doesn't know what he wants us to be, or he wants certain things that I certainly don't want us to be!  I think if you base your decision on simply 'we want to be in the Premier League', and nothing else, you're probably not thinking about it the right way.  

Spot on, I think Wilder has been really good for us but we're already seeing signs that teams are learning how to stop our system and we haven't really adapted. 

I've thought for a while that Wilder would get us promoted eventually but I think our system would get found out a lot quicker than Sheffield United's did at that level. 

I'm not saying that Wilder can't adapt, its still early days but I don't think he's the football messiah either. 

The most important thing for me is that we keep Kieran Scott and stick to the plan. If the club is being run properly from top to bottom (which we hope) then we should be able to cope with a managerial change. 

We've been saying for years on here the priority is to have a DOF and a long term vision, if Wilder leaves then nothing should change in that plan.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

So the mutual admiration between the Burnley owners and Wilder goes back quite a long way then. 

It doesn't mention a mutual admiration, just that they admired him.