• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God, losing that "e" is a dangerous game......

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, WirelessBoro said:

I’ve been told Wilder spoke to Burnley on Monday and has used that to ask for a better contract. I assume from today’s comments that he’s got just that.

Must have been a busy day for him. Did he take the call before or after our game at Huddersfield that day?

I assume it was a phone call or it really will have been a long day for him travelling there whilst managing a football game in Middlesbrough 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Changing Times said:

How could we be getting better recruitment from something that had no substance to it in your opinion?  You think that Gibson has somehow been hoodwinked into providing more support to Wilder?  Firstly, I don't think Gibson would give more support on the back of a manager potentially wanting to jump ship.  In fact, I'm as certain about it as I can be.  Gibson gives the support he can give no matter what.  Secondly, there is nothing to it apparently.  Nothing happened, nobody at all suggested to Wilder (more likely his agent) that he was in the running for the Burnley job, and Gibson/the club would know that so there would be no reason to offer Wilder anything.  The meeting this week was clearly just coincidental.

I never said it had no substance, I said I thought all along it was a leverage play by him. he clearly stated when he tried to dismiss the conversation about burnley that he was more focused on what we needed for the summer, then when he finally puts it to bed he pretty much says they have had all them conversations.

He hasn't hoodwinked anyone, he's just put a bit of public pressure on the board to meet his expectations. Many a manager has done the same before at plenty of other clubs. For all we know what he got in January may not have been everything he was promised and this was his way to make his point. Out the last 5 managers, at least 4 of them have had similar complaints with the incomings so I wouldn't doubt the possibility he has had similar.

30 minutes ago, Rob said:

I never said it had no substance, I said I thought all along it was a leverage play by him. he clearly stated when he tried to dismiss the conversation about burnley that he was more focused on what we needed for the summer, then when he finally puts it to bed he pretty much says they have had all them conversations.

He hasn't hoodwinked anyone, he's just put a bit of public pressure on the board to meet his expectations. Many a manager has done the same before at plenty of other clubs. For all we know what he got in January may not have been everything he was promised and this was his way to make his point. Out the last 5 managers, at least 4 of them have had similar complaints with the incomings so I wouldn't doubt the possibility he has had similar.

I just don't see Gibson responding well to something like that.

Not to mention that if Wilder feels something like that was required then it does beg the question as to what exactly was going on beforehand.  He's only been in the job for a matter of months, and he feels it's necessary to put pressure on Gibson to get more of whatever he's looking for?  But again, Gibson doesn't seem the sort to respond well to that kind of move by a manager.  Just the opposite in fact.

Also, you did say I was wrong for suggesting that there might be something to all of this but now you're saying that it might have some substance, which is all I've said all along.  I never said he was leaving, just that this hasn't been based on some bookies odds.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I just don't see Gibson responding well to something like that.

Not to mention that if Wilder feels something like that was required then it does beg the question as to what exactly was going on beforehand.  He's only been in the job for a matter of months, and he feels it's necessary to put pressure on Gibson to get more of whatever he's looking for?  But again, Gibson doesn't seem the sort to respond well to that kind of move by a manager.  Just the opposite in fact.

I think though Wilder would carry a certain reputation that Pulis and Woodgate wouldn’t have had in terms of premier league football and status to do a power play like that though. 

Warnock was a different direction to what the club wanted to go in but was still backed to some degree, but we didn’t want him near January incomings and he left. 

Gibson will have seen the transformation of this team and know that he has a good one in Wilder. He will know that a few additions and recruitment well in the summer could have us there or there abouts. I think he’d be more inclined to listen to Wilders please and requests out of any of the last few managers we’ve had. 

Part of the managerial game perhaps to squeeze a new signing or two?  

So Wilder puts pressure on by installing himself as bookie favourite to get the Burnley job and spreading rumours in the papers - (how?) - so he can get all the things SG previously agreed to give him anyway; as much support as he possibly can. 

Mission accomplished!? 

🤔 

• Haha 4
22 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

I think though Wilder would carry a certain reputation that Pulis and Woodgate wouldn’t have had in terms of premier league football and status to do a power play like that though. 

Warnock was a different direction to what the club wanted to go in but was still backed to some degree, but we didn’t want him near January incomings and he left. 

Gibson will have seen the transformation of this team and know that he has a good one in Wilder. He will know that a few additions and recruitment well in the summer could have us there or there abouts. I think he’d be more inclined to listen to Wilders please and requests out of any of the last few managers we’ve had. 

Part of the managerial game perhaps to squeeze a new signing or two?  

Tony Pulis achieved more in the prem than wilder. I don't understand this assertion that Wilder is premier league manager. He had one good season with a team on a roll and while a top half finish is a very good achievement with newly promoted side the half season that followed was one of the worst in history. He's unproven at the top level and even at championship level he isn't hugely experienced with only 2 seasons with one club and one set of players. If he fails with us his stock will fall a fair bit I'd imagine. Hes stick got a fair bit to prove for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Tony Pulis achieved more in the prem than wilder. 

Different eras, football has moved on. Pulis wouldn’t even scrape 10 points in the premmy now with his tactics 

29 minutes ago, HolgateHero said:

So Wilder puts pressure on by installing himself as bookie favourite to get the Burnley job and spreading rumours in the papers - (how?) - so he can get all the things SG previously agreed to give him anyway; as much support as he possibly can. 

Mission accomplished!? 

🤔

No obviously not 😂 maybe used the opportunity of the speculation to loosen the purse strings. It’s what I’d do if I’d been given Connolly in January 😂😂

I understand people being riled up by Wilder flirting with the prospect of going to Burnley. But he’s came out and probably gave the best answer about his actions. Admitting his faults. So let’s not knock him now. Let’s just get behind him and the team and hopefully we make the play offs. If not am 99% sure we will be challenging next season with a good summer recruitment. 

5 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

Screenshot_20220422-161110_Chrome.jpg

Given how precarious things are at the moment, I don't think this is a good example to use.  Current geopolitics are extremely fragile and it would not take much for the situation in Ukraine to spill over into WW3.  Despite the claims that the invasion is denazifying Ukraine, the forced deportations, segregation along ethnic lines, filtration camps and movement from those to supply labour in the far North and Far East of Russia is uncomfortably reminiscent of the concentration camps in WW2 Saying that the world is currently in a dangerous moment is not doomongering or doomposting.

29 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Different eras, football has moved on. Pulis wouldn’t even scrape 10 points in the premmy now with his tactics 

No obviously not 😂 maybe used the opportunity of the speculation to loosen the purse strings. It’s what I’d do if I’d been given Connolly in January 😂😂

to be fair i think he got about ten points last time he was in the prem, lol probs why he was binned off

46 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Possibly but at the time when pulis came he was only a few years on from winning manager of the year in the prem. We can only speculate on how he would do now but to say wilder is a more accomplished manager than pulis was I think is wrong regardless of the style of football. 

I mean would wilder have even got 20 points in that second season he was sacked on 14 points from 28 games which if continued would have left them on 19. Thats nearly an all time low and that's with the tactics we use now. 

His record is pretty solid in the lower leagues and he's been relatively successful everywhere he's been but his record in the championship is with one club and one group of players that he pretty much kept together from league 1. He's been decent but not great so far for us but nothing right now suggests to me that we will have a real good chance of promotion next season because I don't think that there is enough quality out there that we could attract to make these tactics successful and I certainly don't think the majority of our current squad can.

It's good that people are behind the manager and are confident in his ability but for me he still has some boxes to tick. Pulis did a better job taking over from monk than wilders doing now after warnock and in all fairness bar a disastrous ten game spell in his second season we were barely ever out of the top 6 under Pulis regardless of the football on show.

3 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Possibly but at the time when pulis came he was only a few years on from winning manager of the year in the prem. We can only speculate on how he would do now but to say wilder is a more accomplished manager than pulis was I think is wrong regardless of the style of football. 

I mean would wilder have even got 20 points in that second season he was sacked on 14 points from 28 games which if continued would have left them on 19. Thats nearly an all time low and that's with the tactics we use now. 

His record is pretty solid in the lower leagues and he's been relatively successful everywhere he's been but his record in the championship is with one club and one group of players that he pretty much kept together from league 1. He's been decent but not great so far for us but nothing right now suggests to me that we will have a real good chance of promotion next season because I don't think that there is enough quality out there that we could attract to make these tactics successful and I certainly don't think the majority of our current squad can.

It's good that people are behind the manager and are confident in his ability but for me he still has some boxes to tick. Pulis did a better job taking over from monk than wilders doing now after warnock and in all fairness bar a disastrous ten game spell in his second season we were barely ever out of the top 6 under Pulis regardless of the football on show.

This is absolute rubbish when you consider the context of the squads that each manager took over. Half of pulis's squad are now playing top flight football, a couple of them at Barcelona. We had the best squad in the league that season and we couldn't lay a glove on villa over two games in the play offs and finishing 6th was a massive underachievement. 

• Like 4