oneBoro Forum

I like rhinos

6 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

This is absolute rubbish when you consider the context of the squads that each manager took over. Half of pulis's squad are now playing top flight football, a couple of them at Barcelona. We had the best squad in the league that season and we couldn't lay a glove on villa over two games in the play offs and finishing 6th was a massive underachievement. 

Monk had that squad floundering in mid table getting hammered away at teams like Bristol City. Braithwaite doesn't deserve to be at barca he was a panic buy and has done nothing since he left and did nothing while he was here. The squad was massively unbalanced. We bought very poorly that year there were alot of bang average players bought for large sums. Also the league was much stronger then than it is now after covid I mean look at the state of the teams in the playoffs compared to that season it's all relative.  I'm not saying pulis was fantastic and I thought he needed to go at the end of that season but I was more confident in promotion for most of pulis reign than I have been watching us under wilder after New year. Getting playoffs this season is much easier than when pulis was here look at the standard of the teams in the current top 6 they are poor compared to the likes of that villa team that we met in the playoffs.

The truth is wilder is making a complete pigs ear of this season since his new manager bounce ended and the January business has been poor under his direction and we are getting worse and more disorganised than improving. The fact is for people who don't have their head up his *** he's got a lot to prove before he can be trusted 100%

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God, losing that "e" is a dangerous game......

Posted Images

I think its funny to hear people criticising posters for being pessimistic on here. I know its great to be an optimist but you can also be optimistic to the point of being delusional. 

When you think Agnew was a great appointment and the same for Woodgate then I don't think a healthy dose of scepticism is necessarily a bad thing.

We all want the club to succeed but to believe everything is rosy all the time isn't living in the real world, especially when the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. 

Edited by Duvel
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

I'm not saying pulis was fantastic and I thought he needed to go at the end of that season but I was more confident in promotion for most of pulis reign than I have been watching us under wilder after New year.

Wilder has more points since the New Year than Pulis managed in that same period.

Wilder: 

Screenshot_20220423-092057_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c0b72e70c26c6a30e75149352b538159.jpg

Pulis:

Screenshot_20220423-091802_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f51c76a880ff94f6b86ec0b6564826b8.jpg

We lost 6 in a row under Pulis, went from 4 points clear of 7th to 4 points behind, having played a game more, and you were more confident about promotion at the same point?

We're in a better position to get back in the play-offs now than we were at this point in 2018/19.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Wilder has more points since the New Year than Pulis managed in that same period.

Wilder: 

Screenshot_20220423-092057_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c0b72e70c26c6a30e75149352b538159.jpg

Pulis:

Screenshot_20220423-091802_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f51c76a880ff94f6b86ec0b6564826b8.jpg

We lost 6 in a row under Pulis, went from 4 points clear of 7th to 4 points behind, having played a game more, and you were more confident about promotion at the same point?

We're in a better position to get back in the play-offs now than we were at this point in 2018/19.

Not sure if you read the previous posts on this topic but here is a copy and paste of my comment on page 69 which explains my thinking. 

'Pulis did a better job taking over from monk than wilders doing now after warnock and in all fairness bar a disastrous ten game spell in his second season we were barely ever out of the top 6 under Pulis regardless of the football on show.'

The fact is we have barely spent any time in the top 6 in a league which is less competitive. Were in then we are out because he can't get any consistency out of the side when it really matters. 4 games without a goal also is awful not only that but in only one of those 4 games did we even look like scoring and before that run we had looked very disjointed most games playing poorly. 

Yes I was more confident in us reaching the playoffs or going up during most of pulis tenure than I am under wilder this season.

34 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Not sure if you read the previous posts on this topic but here is a copy and paste of my comment on page 69 which explains my thinking. 

'Pulis did a better job taking over from monk than wilders doing now after warnock and in all fairness bar a disastrous ten game spell in his second season we were barely ever out of the top 6 under Pulis regardless of the football on show.'

The fact is we have barely spent any time in the top 6 in a league which is less competitive. Were in then we are out because he can't get any consistency out of the side when it really matters. 4 games without a goal also is awful not only that but in only one of those 4 games did we even look like scoring and before that run we had looked very disjointed most games playing poorly. 

Yes I was more confident in us reaching the playoffs or going up during most of pulis tenure than I am under wilder this season.

Pulis had one of the most expensively assembled squads in the Championship to play with and managed 1.64 points per game.

That's exactly the same as Wilder's current ppg, and Wilder's squad will be solidly mid-table in value 

In contrast to popular opinion, I actually do think Pulis did an okay job for the main part when here, regardless of the style of football, but with the squad he had, we should have done better.

I was quite confident we'd make the play-offs for most of the full Pulis season too, but that'll be because we were 7 points clear of 7th with 12 games left before Pulis led a complete implosion and Derby made up that gap and finished 1 point above us.

Wilder's not had the luxury of a full season to blow such a position of strength.

2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Pulis had one of the most expensively assembled squads in the Championship to play with and managed 1.64 points per game.

That's exactly the same as Wilder's current ppg, and Wilder's squad will be solidly mid-table in value 

In contrast to popular opinion, I actually do think Pulis did an okay job for the main part when here, regardless of the style of football, but with the squad he had, we should have done better.

I was quite confident we'd make the play-offs for most of the full Pulis season too, but that'll be because we were 7 points clear of 7th with 12 games left before Pulis led a complete implosion and Derby made up that gap and finished 1 point above us.

Wilder's not had the luxury of a full season to blow such a position of strength.

Just because it was expensive doesn't mean it was good mate. Our recruitment was awful and pulis played his part in that too with saville and flint. I'm not really saying pulis was great just getting back to original point of comparing the two and people making out wilder being so much better etc. I'm just saying pulis taking over from monk did a better job than wilder is doing with this team after warnock and we have spent more than most this season on this squad and as far as being a premier league manager pulis is proven and wilder isn't. 

9 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

I know this is sad but I'm still looking at the Burnley odds... Wilder has shortened again to 11/10! Who are these people still putting bets on?

Could it be a Gentleman's agreement amongst all parties until the end of the season?

I know what's been said but if that was the case that is what you would have to say in any case to keep things under wraps.

4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Could it be a Gentleman's agreement amongst all parties until the end of the season?

I know what's been said but if that was the case that is what you would have to say in any case to keep things under wraps.

I think it's just the bookies being lazy and not accounting for developments.

Rooney's odds have dropped too and he's already said that he plans on staying at Derby if the takeover happens.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Not sure how any gentleman’s agreement could be made considering as although it’s unlikely we could still be swapping divisions. He is staying. Move on ffs

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AllBoro10 said:

Not sure how any gentleman’s agreement could be made considering as although it’s unlikely we could still be swapping divisions. He is staying. Move on ffs

It is possible for grown ups to carry out a discussion without the need for emotional outbursts. The above between NB4, Teacider and myself are merely musings rather than claiming to be in the know or stating opinion as fact. 

2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

It is possible for grown ups to carry out a discussion without the need for emotional outbursts. The above between NB4, Teacider and myself are merely musings rather than claiming to be in the know or stating opinion as fact. 

All you were doing is continuing with the conspiracy. He is staying and there will be no gentleman’s agreement. We need to move. Makes no sense for Wilder to agree to that at all

1 minute ago, AllBoro10 said:

All you were doing is continuing with the conspiracy. He is staying and there will be no gentleman’s agreement. We need to move. Makes no sense for Wilder to agree to that at all

We were having a conversation on his odds moving yet again (which is factual regardless of how unpalatable it may be). Teacider has already suggested it's just the Bookies being lazy, heaven forbid if he does actually go if this is how you react to idle chat on here.

19 hours ago, JonnyMFC said:

He did what?

Disgusted Steve Carell GIF

10 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

I know this is sad but I'm still looking at the Burnley odds... Wilder has shortened again to 11/10! Who are these people still putting bets on?

Hopefully a bunch of complete numpties.

• Haha 1