oneBoro Forum

The Riverside Managers' Graveyard

I probably wouldn't mention this to Chris Wilder but only two (Mowbray and Southgate) of our last 20 managers are presently in another managerial role, despite all being about Neil Warnock's age or significantly younger (and none of the last 8 are despite being well within the normal managerial age range).

Are we:

a. Really bad at picking managers

b. Really good at wrecking managerial careers

c. Such a pinnacle of world football that after leaving Boro no other job holds any appeal?

Wilder has joined us a week late - he should have taken the job on Hallowe'en.

23 minutes ago, McMordie said:

I probably wouldn't mention this to Chris Wilder but only two (Mowbray and Southgate) of our last 20 managers are presently in another managerial role, despite all being about Neil Warnock's age or significantly younger (and none of the last 8 are despite being well within the normal managerial age range).

Are we:

c. Such a pinnacle of world football that after leaving Boro no other job holds any appeal?

All of the above. 🤠

At some point we've got to get an appointment right surely? Broken clock is right twice a day and all that...

• Like 1

Absolutely this. Boro are the ultimate. It’s all down hill after that 😃

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

I only go as far back as Lennie Lawrence...thats less than 20, isn't it?

I think the main reasons are they're either retired or dead...

Only a handful, such as Robson, Karanka, Monk etc. have just proven to be not very good. Had 1 or 2 good seasons at best in otherwise mediocre careers.

You said yourself many are around Warnock's age...even "significantly" younger (e.g. in their 60s) is still pretty old for football managers these days. It seems to me the general trend is for (relatively) younger managers in their 40s and 50s.

Warnock was one of the last of a dying breed.

So to answer your questions:

1. Yes - but with the caveat that we never did any forward planning to help ensure the transition to the new manager would be successful. We just picked a guy, threw some money at them (if we had any) and hoped for the best.

2. No - as stated above the majority will have retied (even died) some time ago. Only a few would still be considered for managers' jobs now.

3. McLaren left to manage England and Southgate left to work for the FA, before coaching the England Under-21s was it? Then got the top gig. Mogga seems to be doing okay with Blackburn and Woody proved he is a managerial genius at Bournemouth. 😁 So I'd say no.

I think trying to drag Boro from Warnock's Stone Age regime into the modern footballing world is a scary enough prospect without any Halloween spooks and nasties. 👻

14 minutes ago, McMordie said:

Are we:

I don't know what happened with Robson after West Brom. McClaren has had quite a varied career since being with us but now seems to want to operate at boardroom level. Strachan went on to manage his country but not surprised he's struggled after us apart from that. Karanka has had a couple of jobs off the back of his reputation here but not really got anywhere. Monk seems like he's only going to be happy if he ever gets to manage Swansea again. Pulis is a firefighter who is probably just waiting for another club to save. Woodgate is gonna have to take a job lower down I think. And Warnock will probably walk into the Cardiff job soon.

All in all, if you look at all the managers we've hired who are still capable of being in the game, you just have to recall where they were when we brought them in. Nowhere, certainly at managerial level. We've promoted 2 managers from within with no experience in the job. We've hired 3 with no managerial experience from elsewhere. Then 2 'sacked' Celtic managers, 2 firefighters out of a job and the only one we brought in who was perhaps in any way in another job was Garry Monk, he had to resign from Leeds to sign with us before they activated a year's extension but he was likely to leave anyway.

Wilder is similar to Monk, I think he was in demand and perhaps more in demand than Monk was. But he was still a manager out of a job for one reason or another. The club either doesn't have the pull or, in their view, the money to go out and sign a manager from elsewhere. Time will tell whether this choice was a good one but this like all others was a man out of a job and I suspect the next one will be the same.

8 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

You said yourself many are around Warnock's age...even "significantly" younger (e.g. in their 60s) is still pretty old for football managers these days. It seems to me the general trend is for (relatively) younger managers in their 40s and 50s.

I was stretching it a bit with the 20 to make a point, which does take us back to Lennie Lawrence, but 10 of the 20 are 56 or younger, which is younger than me and I haven't yet given up hope of being invited to take on the Boro job on the back of my Championship Manager record.

I'll also give you that Liddle and Venus may not have had a particularly high profile and that McLaren would probably be managing Manchester United had he just stood there and got wet.

12 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't know what happened with Robson after West Brom. McClaren has had quite a varied career since being with us but now seems to want to operate at boardroom level. Strachan went on to manage his country but not surprised he's struggled after us apart from that. Karanka has had a couple of jobs off the back of his reputation here but not really got anywhere. Monk seems like he's only going to be happy if he ever gets to manage Swansea again. Pulis is a firefighter who is probably just waiting for another club to save. Woodgate is gonna have to take a job lower down I think. And Warnock will probably walk into the Cardiff job soon.

All in all, if you look at all the managers we've hired who are still capable of being in the game, you just have to recall where they were when we brought them in. Nowhere, certainly at managerial level. We've promoted 2 managers from within with no experience in the job. We've hired 3 with no managerial experience from elsewhere. Then 2 'sacked' Celtic managers, 2 firefighters out of a job and the only one we brought in who was perhaps in any way in another job was Garry Monk, he had to resign from Leeds to sign with us before they activated a year's extension but he was likely to leave anyway.

Wilder is similar to Monk, I think he was in demand and perhaps more in demand than Monk was. But he was still a manager out of a job for one reason or another. The club either doesn't have the pull or, in their view, the money to go out and sign a manager from elsewhere. Time will tell whether this choice was a good one but this like all others was a man out of a job and I suspect the next one will be the same.

It could also be an issue with respecting other clubs, it seems like Gibson doesn't like poaching managers from other teams. Whether it's a financial consideration or a courtesy consideration I'm not so sure.

6 minutes ago, Foogle said:

It could also be an issue with respecting other clubs, it seems like Gibson doesn't like poaching managers from other teams. Whether it's a financial consideration or a courtesy consideration I'm not so sure.

Not so sure how different that is to buying players, to be honest? We can't just swan in and take any manager we want whilst they're contracted elsewhere, the club they're currently at pretty much has to agree to it.

• Like 1

Most managers don't tend to continue to Warnock's age.

McClaren has had nine jobs since leaving us.

Southgate is now England manager.

Strachan went on to manage and fail with Scotland.

Monk has had two jobs since leaving us (shambles at Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday).

Karanka has had two jobs since leaving us (shambles at Nottingham Forest and Birmingham).

Pulis has had one job since leaving us (shambles at Sheffield Wednesday).

Woodgate has had one job since leaving us.

It's only Agnew who hasn't managed since leaving us.

They either chose daft jobs after leaving us, or weren't good to begin with, in Monk's case he was caught out being dodgy again.

• Like 2

In answer to your question we are really bad at picking managers, there are not many Boro fans I know( if any) that wanted Southgate, Strachan, Woodgate, Pulis or Warnock in charge and we've all been proven right.

Its Gibson and his entourage who most of the time couldn't pick their own noses and that's why we are where we are, basically they didn't have a clue, lots of years in the game but poor judges of football.

Random tidbits or anything people don't want to start a new thread for. Most the time it will go on there but I don't see why there's a need to forcibly put it in there.

Power to the threadmakers. 

• Like 1