oneBoro Forum

Going to Gdansk

So I'm going to Gdansk this weekend with the wife and a couple of friends. Any been there that can recommend decent restaurants and anything else we should do while we are there? 

24 minutes ago, Brunners said:

What has the international break done to everyone?

Cold turkey manifests in strange ways. Deprived of his fix, the addict seeks comfort in unexpected quarters (like Poland, or the crisps aisle of the supermarket).

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Brunners said:

What has the international break done to everyone?

Why? Gdansk is actually a very historic city with plenty to offer. The German invasion of Poland, which marked the start of WW2, began in Gdansk known as Danzig at the time. Although it's a relatively small city it is supposed to have a rich cultural and restaurant scene. Add to that the city was a major factor in the fall of communism.  And it's fairly cheap too and the flight is just 1 hour. The time of year probably isn't the best, but we were supposed to go in the spring of 2020, but covid put an end to that so here we are.

You can read a lot but I was just trying to see if anyone had any personal recommendations.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Borodane said:

So I'm going to Gdansk this weekend with the wife and a couple of friends. Any been there that can recommend decent restaurants and anything else we should do while we are there? 

So you and the missus will be Strictly Come Gdansking?

I'm sorry...I shouldn't have done that... 😔

Recalling one of Michael Portillo's Great European Train Journeys, they have a bunch of museums, including the National Museum, a WWII museum, a Shakespeare Theatre (if you fancy getting your culture on), St Dominic's Fair. IF you like architecture, they've got loads of old buildings, including Wisloujscie Fortress the town hall and Long Market. If you want to catch some football, you can see Lechia Gdansk play at Stadion Miejski.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1

Only place I can give any sort of a pointer towards regards food, if it still open, is the Bar Neptune, sort of a traditional eatery without too many frills .. decent prices and service..  cousin's lad found it on a "stag" weekend and if they let him in, you should have no problem..  Hope it goes well  

• Like 1

Gdansk is a brilliant little city. Very friendly. Food was good everywhere we are, just check out trip advisor when your there. We didn't find eating expensive. There's loads to see, I was very moved by the museum celebration Poland's split from Russia, it's in part of the old dockyard and a river trip that takes you to the peninsula where ww2 started. Enjoy.

• Like 1