oneBoro Forum

Boro v Preston 1-2 (McNair)

Boro v Preston North End

Welcome to the latest installment of BearSmog's giftastic matchday thread. If you don't like gifs I warn you to look away now..

Oprah Hand Outs GIF

Introduction

After, what appeared to be, the longest international break in living memory, the wait was finally over to see how different boro would look under Wilder as we lined up against Millwall 

stand out not the same GIF

There were definitely positive signs for periods of the first half, but remnants of the last regime were clearly evident in the 2nd half.. much to the pleasure of Warnock and Blackwood.

Snow Love GIF by Whiteface

But playing style aside you can't help but feel that we would have come away with the 3 points had the referee spotted Mason Bennett's horrific assault on Paddy McNair

200.gif

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

Whilst we were battling with the Lions at the Riverside

the lion king disney GIF

Our next opponants Preston threw away and early lead against a struggling but resurgent Cardiff City..

tv land lol GIF by nobodies.

Big(ish) Questions?

• Are you ready for our weekly game of 'Where's Martin'? 

Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Last weeks winner was @Brunnerswho spotted Payero in the corner of a Marcus Browne Instagram post

Check This Out Tom Hanks GIF

• What will be your formation/starting line up for this match? 

the hangover math GIF

• Which of our plethora of injured players will be back ready for Preston?

The Punisher Marvel GIF by NETFLIX

• Will Wilder ever refer to Warnock by his name?

who is he conor mcgregor GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

• How are you feeling about the start under Wilder? (Answers in gif form only)

Happy Plastic Surgery GIF by E!

Score Predictions

I am going to continue to ride the wave of optimism and go for..

team usa peace GIF by U.S. Figure Skating

200.gif

What's your prediction?

Thanks for joining me.. 

bear GIF

• Like 11
  • Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boro v Preston North End Welcome to the latest installment of BearSmog's giftastic matchday thread. If you don't like gifs I warn you to look away now.. Introduction After, what ap

Don't worry about looking down the table. As i mentioned before i'm hugely encourages. We're making stratospheric leaps forward in the way we play but it's not going to click over night. Def

Extremely encouraged by last nights performance. Will put a bit more down later on. Forget the result, 2nd game in and we’re learning a new way of playing. There were some very good things on that pit

Posted Images

I would not be surprised if Onel comes in for Jones at RWB for this one. If Sporar does not make it then I can also see Onel lining up front with Watmore and one of Jones or Dijksteel at RWB. Other than that its as you were.

Hopefully we can get a win.

Daniels 

Dijksteel  Bamba Mcnair  Bola 

Hernandez   Crooks   Tav    Jones

Sporar            Coburn

Thats what I would play if sporar is fit. 

Daniels 

Paddy     Bamba    Pelts

Hernandez                            Bola 

Crooks  Howson  Tav 

Sporar          Watmore 

The likely team to play imo. 

I can't find anything but if there's a gif of someone banging their head against a brick wall that's how I feel about 532 at home and wingers in wingback. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Daniels 

Sporar            Coburn

Daniels 

Paddy     Bamba    Pelts

Crooks  Howson  Tav 

Sporar          Watmore 

I can't find anything but if there's a gif of someone banging their head against a brick wall that's how I feel about 532 at home and wingers in wingback. 

g help GIF

Sorry but this isn't a brick wall.. is the brick vital to how you feel?

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, TLF10 said:

I would not be surprised if Onel comes in for Jones at RWB for this one. If Sporar does not make it then I can also see Onel lining up front with Watmore and one of Jones or Dijksteel at RWB. Other than that its as you were.

Hopefully we can get a win.

terry crews fingers crossed GIF by America's Got Talent

1 hour ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Daniels 

Sporar            Coburn

Daniels 

Paddy     Bamba    Pelts

Crooks  Howson  Tav 

Sporar          Watmore 

I find it mad that you never shut up about disliking wingbacks and then you pick a team in 442. Diddnt realise mike basset was a Boro fan. 
also you say about wanting to play Jones further up the pitch. If that was the case then you would play 433 not 442. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

I find it mad that you never shut up about disliking wingbacks and then you pick a team in 442. Diddnt realise mike basset was a Boro fan. 
also you say about wanting to play Jones further up the pitch. If that was the case then you would play 433 not 442. 

He obviously prefers this formation because it has worked for him in the past and had his teams playing very attractive football.  He likes his teams to control possession that’s why he plays 3 midfielders while having 3 at the back with wingbacks making it harder to break you down. Onel and Jones are ok players that’s it. There not good enough to change our full system imo. 
We are probably missing a RWB from having a really good side in that formation. When I think we are missing several players to play a 442. For starters our CBs arnt good enough to play in a 2. Also who would you play in the middle? I don’t think combining any 2 of our CMs could dominate possession while staying solid. Put an extra man in there and it’s a different story. 

I just find it mad that people try to critise a manager that is successful at what he does. Especially after one game. 

• Like 4
46 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

What on earth are you talking about? A winger in a 442 can easily get forward into one on one situations with a full back or wingback without leaving you too open defensively. We played 442 against West Brom away and it suited us well and was a much better result than 1-1 against Millwall at home. We don't have anyone good enough or suitable to play as a lone striker either so no I'd play 442. If we had put our best footballers on the pitch for 90 minutes I dare say we beat a poor side like millwall at home not labour for 2/3rds of the game or is that too much for you to grasp?

I agree in a way to say against some teams with no hall or fry we shouldn't play 4 at the back but against the likes of Preston and millwall Bamba and either pelts or mcnair are good enough to get you through the game. We definitely don't have the players to to play wingbacks as you say we have no rwb and no dcm for the 3 in midfield to work properly either. With 2 8s in a 442 it's quite easy to find balance in midfield if one is going forward the other can drop off and support its simple stuff.

9 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

I agree in a way to say against some teams with no hall or fry we shouldn't play 4 at the back but against the likes of Preston and millwall Bamba and either pelts or mcnair are good enough to get you through the game. We definitely don't have the players to to play wingbacks as you say we have no rwb and no dcm for the 3 in midfield to work properly either. With 2 8s in a 442 it's quite easy to find balance in midfield if one is going forward the other can drop off and support its simple 

Surely a defensive midfielder is needed more in a 442 than a 532? Also you said all we needed to do is pick our best team and we win the game. Is it that easy? If that’s the case then there’s no point in having a manager. There must be a reason that 442 is very rare these days. Can’t think of many teams that do it. Out of interest who do you think are our best players? 

22 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

Surely a defensive midfielder is needed more in a 442 than a 532? Also you said all we needed to do is pick our best team and we win the game. Is it that easy? If that’s the case then there’s no point in having a manager. There must be a reason that 442 is very rare these days. Can’t think of many teams that do it. Out of interest who do you think are our best players? 

Out of the players available at the moment obviously the players I have put in that team there. The strike partner with sporar could change depending on opposition.

There are times I would consider playing a 532 when spence is back as against teams that are better than us especially away from home fair enough but playing that way against Millwall for me I just don't agree with it especially when we don't have a proper wingback on one side. No you don't have to play a cdm in a 442 if you have 2 8s who can play a role going forward and defensively. Crooks and tavernier both have good engines and can cover the ground needed to play that way and siliki and payero are both 8s when playing cm so it suits all of out midfielders. Crooks and payero did fine as a 2 against West brom. There are premier league teams who play 442 a formation is a formation you need to pick one that suits your players and for me we don't have the personnel at the moment to make 532 work especially at home where the onus is on us to go out and win the game and it's underwhelming for me personally when I think we have players to play another way to watch it.

Thats not me saying I think wilders *** I'm not saying wilder will fail I'm a boro fan I want him to do well of course but I'm just surprised he seems like he's just going all out with a 532 with our current squad when we lack the players to make it work I was hoping he would at least wait until January when we can get spence back and in the meantime give the lads a chance to play in their best positions and see how they get on. Anyway let's see what happens against Preston.

If I was asked are you actually confident of a win. Well to be honest I would say I’m more content the wind of change has brought a fresh start at the club but to answer the question, no not yet. I just don’t think we are fit enough and we don’t have enough quality in the squad. I believe we may see fitness level improvement around 4 to 6 weeks time and there after a upturn in points but we need to bring in quality to go further. 
One thing I will say is I am now looking forward to the next game, which is mainly down to the change in management. 

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Boro v Preston 1-2 (McNair)