oneBoro Forum

Boro v Preston 1-2 (McNair)

Was wondering how many points we'd lost from a winning position as it felt like a lot.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/punktenachfuehrung/wettbewerb/GB2

We're 6th best in terms of how many times we've taken the lead in the league this season (12), but we've lost 4 games from those 12 games. More losses after taking the lead than any other team. 

Shows the work that Wilder needs to do on holding on to a lead. We'd be in a far better position if we could sort that fragility.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boro v Preston North End Welcome to the latest installment of BearSmog's giftastic matchday thread. If you don't like gifs I warn you to look away now.. Introduction After, what ap

Don't worry about looking down the table. As i mentioned before i'm hugely encourages. We're making stratospheric leaps forward in the way we play but it's not going to click over night. Def

Extremely encouraged by last nights performance. Will put a bit more down later on. Forget the result, 2nd game in and we’re learning a new way of playing. There were some very good things on that pit

Posted Images

1 minute ago, boro-unger said:

Was wondering how many points we'd lost from a winning position as it felt like a lot.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/punktenachfuehrung/wettbewerb/GB2

We're 6th best in terms of how many times we've taken the lead in the league this season (12), but we've lost 4 games from those 12 games. More losses after taking the lead than any other team. 

Shows the work that Wilder needs to do on holding on to a lead. We'd be in a far better position if we could sort that fragility.

Pretty sure I saw earlier that we would be joint second based on first half performances too

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Tav has already spoken to Leeds

Flatters to deceive on a regular basis. More than happy to cash in and bring on Payero who is head and shoulders a better player.

Was a mixed bag today. Again, signs of positive football. The period leading up to Watmore's shot from the edge of the box in the first half was nice to watch even if it didn't come to much in the end.

Not sure about the first goal for them but the second goal especially was just so poor. Bamba becomes the culprit in the end but we got stretched into bad positions, he actually prevented a good opportunity to begin with before smacking it against his own player. It was a very tired attempt to pass/clear/whatever. Feel for him a bit as this is clearly starting to show his weaknesses in terms of his personal fitness. He doesn't stop trying and his intelligence is still really good in a lot of situations. But when you're tired you make bad decisions and I think that's exactly what happened for the second goal.

I hate to say it but Tav was a bit of a passenger today. At the weekend he was mostly really good, looked like he'd really found his place in the side. Second half against Millwall is when he started to drop off with some poor passing and that continued into today.

Also, though it was mostly the first half, I think that might have been Howson's best performance in possession that I've seen from him in a Boro shirt. He anchored that midfield really well, was often the one supporting on both sides and played the ball round really nice and precisely. 

Still signs there of something to come. Maybe time to make some changes at the weekend? Interesting that Stoj was on the bench today with no Lumley around. Him and young Max Metcalfe were taking shots from the team in the warm-ups today. Stoj was making some great saves. Also think Lea-Siliki scored every one of his efforts! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We might easily have won these two games. Probably should have. And whilst I feel gutted with the result tonight, I’m wondering whether the new manager and his staff have actually learned a lot more about the true nature of their squad in the way things have panned out. It’s surely been a crash course in the obvious deficiencies, alongside some genuine reasons to be optimistic, reminiscent of the start of the Karanka era. I fancy that there are already names pencilled in to depart, and replacements to come in, fundamental changes to attitudes, systems and training regimens, and a general desire to go through the club like a dose of salts. It will take a little while but I’m hopeful that this is the bottom of our downswing since promotion and a return to better days ahead.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, TheJew said:

Let's face it, we are absolutely whacked after 60 minutes. The fitness levels are appalling and that's shown in the second half performances. What has Warnock and his team done in pre-season? 

That's not really true though is it?  We were still playing well long after 60 mins.  Sporar's chance that was saved, Jones shot over the bar, Hernandez had an effort, McNair's freekick that was saved, all after 60 mins.  Preston scored from a corner after 77 mins, I don't remember us struggling before then?  I don't remember us struggling after then to be honest.  We got hit on the break for the second, as well as the brain freeze that Bamba had unfortunately, but it's not like we were under pressure.  I'm not sure all of this fitness stuff is accurate or all that fair on Warnock.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

That's not really true though is it?  We were still playing well long after 60 mins.  Sporar's chance that was saved, Jones shot over the bar, Hernandez had an effort, McNair's freekick that was saved, all after 60 mins.  Preston scored from a corner after 77 mins, I don't remember us struggling before then?  I don't remember us struggling after then to be honest.  We got hit on the break for the second, as well as the brain freeze that Bamba had unfortunately, but it's not like we were under pressure.  I'm not sure all of this fitness stuff is accurate or all that fair on Warnock.

The evidence of our falling away in the second half is blatant. Since players don’t lose ability as the game goes on then fitness is the only plausible explanation. 

Just now, CrazyL said:

The evidence of our falling away in the second half is blatant. Since players don’t lose ability as the game goes on then fitness is the only plausible explanation. 

Well, it's not the only plausible explanation, and there's a difference between falling away and losing.  The stats may show a major drop off between the distance covered in each half, I have no idea.  If they do, and that drop off is larger than the rest of the clubs in our division, then fair enough it's the likely explanation.  I didn't see a team fall off tonight though.  At no point were we being outworked by Preston.  They scored a goal from a corner, which was poor defending on our part, and a goal on a counter attack where we had actually regained control of the situation, and then completely messed it up.  Even with the counter, the issue is that we've pushed too many players forwards.  We've basically left three back and everyone else has gone forwards.  That's something we'll need to learn how to do better as we adjust to this new style of play.  As we will in terms of using the ball better.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/12476835/middlesbrough-1-2-preston

Sorry that I have put up the "lowlights" of last night's game but there is still a lot to discuss about our showing a lack of a cutting edge.

Not an excuse for more name calling though which if continues will be dealt with.

• Thanks 1

Some players are obviously fitter than others, fitness isn't always measured in how long they can run for but also levels of concentration. We got really sloppy second half. While I love Bamba he shouldn't be playing 90 minutes 2-3 times a week. But we have to due to the state of the squad currently. Hopefully we address this in Jan, G. Hall needs to move on as he is injured more than he plays, so atleast another Center back is a must.