oneBoro Forum

Boro v Preston 1-2 (McNair)

I am content that Chris has seen what I and others see which is not difficult. 
Shape, fitnesses levels, passing, shots and movement are shockingly poor. Let’s put it another way as Chris stated, forcing play or individuals trying to impress. 
Simplistic, pass move receive just keep the ball moving at pace but how many times do you see players flat footed or hiding behind opponents preventing or after distribution. How many times do players take on opponents or hold the ball up and loose the initiative. We take to long allowing opponents to pack the box, we take to long they manage to close down and block the shots.. 

So what is it. Well it’s not like they can’t play football otherwise how can they reach this level and what are they doing here getting paid. To me most of it is down to poor fitness levels which is probably why we have so many injuries. 

I think we will see improvement over the next 4 to 6 weeks but not all players are good enough even at peak fitness to challenge the top six. I think Crooks is our top scorer which says much about the level of this team. Stats don’t make good reading viewing the goal conversation or accuracy rates, so change is paramount. 

I do believe Chris will improve the team with tactics and superior fitness levels but it’s obvious at least half the squad needs replacing. I hope he gets the support because I think he can take us to where we deserve to be, playing good football and challenging the top six for promotion 

• Like 4
  • Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boro v Preston North End Welcome to the latest installment of BearSmog's giftastic matchday thread. If you don't like gifs I warn you to look away now.. Introduction After, what ap

Don't worry about looking down the table. As i mentioned before i'm hugely encourages. We're making stratospheric leaps forward in the way we play but it's not going to click over night. Def

Extremely encouraged by last nights performance. Will put a bit more down later on. Forget the result, 2nd game in and we’re learning a new way of playing. There were some very good things on that pit

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TLF10 said:

A four of Sporar Watmore Uche and Possibly Balogun until summer maybe?

Its a certainty we are getting a striker in Jan so if not Balogun then someone else.

Yea I think so. I don't know much about Balogun but Wilder has mentioned numerous times about loans and strong relationships with the big teams. 

2 hours ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

As you say, a few key guys to come back from injury plus a couple of new signings needed. I expect something like the below come January.

----------------New GK-----------------

---------Dijskteel-Fry-McNair----------

----Spence-Crooks-Payero-Tav-Bola--

-----------Balogun?-Sporar-------------

The likes of Watmore, Howson, Bamba, Peltier, Jones, JLS, Hernandez, and a new signing at LWB to rotate in - as we've seen, a strong squad is essential. 

That would be my team too. Maybe allow Jones to make that spot his own this season if Spence doesn't come back.

Id always put Djiksteel back in over Peltier. Not a knock on Peltier as I think he's been decent but a fit Djiksteel is just better, plus he's could be a future lynchpin for years to come. 

Short term id prefer Howson at RWB then Payero at CM. Thought Jones was really poor last night. At one point he megged the player then bought a free kick out wide when if he was committed to getting the ball he had a free run to the box. Bewildering.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DevKWat said:

We all saw this season as a write off under Warnock, I think we need to keep the expectations low under Wilder this season. At least we’re now using the rest of this year to change our way of playing to; as seen last night, a much more attractive type of football. 

If a miracle happens this year and we get play offs great but after 6 months coaching under Wilder and 2 transfer windows we’ll be very competitive at the start of next season, no doubt. 

"We all saw this season as a write off under Warnock"

Really? Bit of a sweeping statement that! We were 4 points off the play offs, We were in the play offs (briefly) 2 weeks before that. I certainly  did not see this season as a write off. I still dont despite the awful start in results terms by CW. Lot of football to be played & still very hopeful we can get very close. No miracle needed. Glass half full here.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Leesider said:

Really? Bit of a sweeping statement that! We were 4 points off the play offs, We were in the play offs (briefly) 2 weeks before that. I certainly  did not see this season as a write off. I still dont despite the awful start in results terms by CW. Lot of football to be played & still very hopeful we can get very close. No miracle needed. Glass half full here.

Spot on @Leesider

36 minutes ago, Leesider said:

I’d feel very confident saying the large majority realistically couldn’t see us getting anywhere over the course of the season under him. The whole mood was horrendous and the football was awful

• Like 3

There was no real chance of us being promoted or finishing in the top six under Warnock as I explained a few weeks back.  The points per game required would have been higher than anything Warnock had achieved here, and we obviously showed absolutely nothing to suggest we could get up to that level.  There's more of a chance now by virtue of Wilder having a more impressive record than Warnock over their respective careers but it's still not that likely.  We haven't won in the last 5 games, the only team ahead of us in the league who we have managed to beat is Forest, and when we beat them they were rock bottom of the league with 1 point.  We're probably looking at needed 50 points from the remaining 27 games, not impossible at about 1.85 points per game, but that would translate to 85 points over a full season, which is what we got under Karanka in 2014/15, and I don't think we are close to that level of team as it stands.  Form can change, teams can improve, but I'm not seeing much to suggest that is likely to happen here this season.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, sanddancer said:

I am content that Chris has seen what I and others see which is not difficult. 
Shape, fitnesses levels, passing, shots and movement are shockingly poor. Let’s put it another way as Chris stated, forcing play or individuals trying to impress. 
Simplistic, pass move receive just keep the ball moving at pace but how many times do you see players flat footed or hiding behind opponents preventing or after distribution. How many times do players take on opponents or hold the ball up and loose the initiative. We take to long allowing opponents to pack the box, we take to long they manage to close down and block the shots.. 

So what is it. Well it’s not like they can’t play football otherwise how can they reach this level and what are they doing here getting paid. To me most of it is down to poor fitness levels which is probably why we have so many injuries. 

I think we will see improvement over the next 4 to 6 weeks but not all players are good enough even at peak fitness to challenge the top six. I think Crooks is our top scorer which says much about the level of this team. Stats don’t make good reading viewing the goal conversation or accuracy rates, so change is paramount. 

I do believe Chris will improve the team with tactics and superior fitness levels but it’s obvious at least half the squad needs replacing. I hope he gets the support because I think he can take us to where we deserve to be, playing good football and challenging the top six for promotion 

Really don't get how we are said to be so unfit.  We are constantly being told that we have great facilities and brought in so called top guy to improve that   Are we really unfit or is this just what most new managers say when they take over.  Find it baffling.

6 minutes ago, Hicktonpen10 said:

Really don't get how we are said to be so unfit.  We are constantly being told that we have great facilities and brought in so called top guy to improve that   Are we really unfit or is this just what most new managers say when they take over.  Find it baffling.

The players have been knackered after 60 minutes in nearly every game this season, if they're not simply unfit then there's something very wrong.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

The players have been knackered after 60 minutes in nearly every game this season, if they're not simply unfit then there's something very wrong.

If all the players are knackered after 60 minutes (which i'm not disputing) how unfit must Lea Siliki be for Warnock to say he was unfit?!

• Like 1

I was happy with the appointment of Wilder but it will be a tough ask for him to get us into the play offs with this current squad. When Wilder brings some of his own players in it will give us more of an idea on what style of football he'll be looking to play.  While I think we'll miss out on  the play offs, I'd be happy with a strong finish to the season, then build the squad in the summer for a next season promotion push.

With regard to the squad it doesn't help the manager when he has 2 CB's Fry and Hall that seem to spend a hell of a lot of time on the treatment table over a season, we might as well have Nathan Wood back.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

I was happy with the appointment of Wilder but it will be a tough ask for him to get us into the play offs with this current squad. When Wilder brings some of his own players in it will give us more of an idea on what style of football he'll be looking to play.  While I think we'll miss out on  the play offs, I'd be happy with a strong finish to the season, then build the squad in the summer for a next season promotion push.

With regard to the squad it doesn't help the manager when he has 2 CB's Fry and Hall that seem to spend a hell of a lot of time on the treatment table over a season, we might as well have Nathan Wood back.

We're nowhere near ready for promotion anyway. It would be a nice payday, but competitively, we'd get utterly twonked week in week out in the Prem with this squad, even with a summer of additions.

I'm happy to give Wilder the rest of the season + judge him properly next season when he's had a couple windows to put together a better squad and get his point across.

• Like 1