oneBoro Forum

Boro v Preston 1-2 (McNair)

12 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

We're nowhere near ready for promotion anyway. It would be a nice payday, but competitively, we'd get utterly twonked week in week out in the Prem with this squad, even with a summer of additions.

I'm happy to give Wilder the rest of the season + judge him properly next season when he's had a couple windows to put together a better squad and get his point across.

I quite agree, the team at the moment is basically an average Championship side, Wilder for me needs a huge overhaul of this squad and I'm assuming Gibson has promised Wilder the funds to do that, not many in this squad that if they left I'd lose any sleep over.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boro v Preston North End Welcome to the latest installment of BearSmog's giftastic matchday thread. If you don't like gifs I warn you to look away now.. Introduction After, what ap

Don't worry about looking down the table. As i mentioned before i'm hugely encourages. We're making stratospheric leaps forward in the way we play but it's not going to click over night. Def

Extremely encouraged by last nights performance. Will put a bit more down later on. Forget the result, 2nd game in and we’re learning a new way of playing. There were some very good things on that pit

Posted Images

Not a bad shout getting Wood back. 

Highly touted, get him back in January, give him a chance and we might be able to save some money on buying a new CB.

If he isn't ready, get a CB in the summer in a better buying market.  

At half time last night i am almost certain that I walked past Nathan Wood in the West Stand concourse, he was heading into the doorway where friends and relatives go half time. Hibs are playing tonight and I wondered why they allowed him to travel to our game less than 24 hours before theirs - I know that he hasn’t been starting for them, but ….

2 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

The players have been knackered after 60 minutes in nearly every game this season, if they're not simply unfit then there's something very wrong.

25 Championship players all unfit, sorry but I don't buy that.  Last night's implosion was down to players not following the script not fitness.   I believe it is a lazy stereotype and Wilder's assessment last night was nearer the mark.

They're not fit enough to play a front foot possession style of football. 

Under NW, it was second balls, and low possession. 

One requires a much more higher level of fitness 

2 hours ago, boksicdink said:

If all the players are knackered after 60 minutes (which i'm not disputing) how unfit must Lea Siliki be for Warnock to say he was unfit?!

During training he keeps walking over to the sideline every 10 mins to spark up another tab.

57 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

They're not fit enough to play a front foot possession style of football. 

Under NW, it was second balls, and low possession. 

One requires a much more higher level of fitness 

I always thought that it was easier to play with the ball than without.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Hicktonpen10 said:

I always thought that it was easier to play with the ball than without.

depends on the style of play.

there's a lot more movement under wilder with the ball, than under NW

defensively(without the ball), we also push on more than under NW

25 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Looks like we're 7 points off the play-offs now, which is intensely frustrating given it should be 2 points off just off the last performances alone.

8pts mate. But I have faith we will begin picking up points. Got Huddersfield, Swansea Stoke in next fortnight and they all ahead of us so fingers crossed with more time on training ground we can become a better team.

23 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Tav has already spoken to Leeds

I would actually say let him go as long as we get a healthy amount of money, he's got potential but hes wasting it like Wing did by trying to shoot from 30 yards out plus constantly and grabbing freekicks off mcnair then waiting them. It doesn't fit with what Wilder is trying to build in a team game, he is very much an individual player sometimes teams can get better when talented individuals who are greedy are sacrificed for the good of the team. 

You would think with his talent that him taking free kicks is a waste of time anyway unless in an area where a direct shot on goal might pay off.

Surely he needs to be in the area where the ball is hopefully going to go and to be able to capitalise from direct contact with the ball or to pounce on defensive errors.

However noticeable that he stopped taking corners in the end

Do we know if he is good with headers?

17 hours ago, Changing Times said:

There was no real chance of us being promoted or finishing in the top six under Warnock as I explained a few weeks back.  The points per game required would have been higher than anything Warnock had achieved here, and we obviously showed absolutely nothing to suggest we could get up to that level.  There's more of a chance now by virtue of Wilder having a more impressive record than Warnock over their respective careers but it's still not that likely.  We haven't won in the last 5 games, the only team ahead of us in the league who we have managed to beat is Forest, and when we beat them they were rock bottom of the league with 1 point.  We're probably looking at needed 50 points from the remaining 27 games, not impossible at about 1.85 points per game, but that would translate to 85 points over a full season, which is what we got under Karanka in 2014/15, and I don't think we are close to that level of team as it stands.  Form can change, teams can improve, but I'm not seeing much to suggest that is likely to happen here this season.

I think some probably look at gaps of 8, 10 or 12 points as achievable without assessing the current points per game and what remainder points per game is required, obviously the percentage difference is the percentage of improvement required on current performance and that would only be applicable if teams above maintained the same return on current form.  It’s very unlikely to see a team suddenly improve 25% to 50% constantly over a prolonged period. 

If we were to do anything, and i believe it was mentioned in posts at the start of the season, we needed to be quick off the mark. Well we all know that didn’t happen and we are still chugging around like a Billy Smarts car in the centre ring. How many games have we lost from a winning position, how many games have we lost second half. 

I am disappointed we have picked up 1 point in 6 but I feel, well apart from our embarrassing comical brain farts, we have already improved on the field. I think we will improve as fitness levels improve, the squad settle into positions and we acquire better players. Although there could be some disruption with new players arriving. 

Mid table finish, better football and belief. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, boksicdink said:

Not a bad shout getting Wood back. 

Highly touted, get him back in January, give him a chance and we might be able to save some money on buying a new CB.

If he isn't ready, get a CB in the summer in a better buying market.  

Somewhere out there there must be a Nasty Bruiser of a CB one you need to feed raw meat to before a match One that's borderline Animal/Human...Its taken 48 hours to get over that last 10 minutes of the last Match I daren't come on here I would have been binned By the way It wasn't Sol Bambers fault that clearance...all our defence was inside the penalty area You're bound to hit one when clearing...Why Oh Why do we try to hang onto a 1 goal lead when the answer was to get a second or third goal... Just my opinion

17 hours ago, Rioch's Braves said:

I quite agree, the team at the moment is basically an average Championship side, Wilder for me needs a huge overhaul of this squad and I'm assuming Gibson has promised Wilder the funds to do that, not many in this squad that if they left I'd lose any sleep over.

Who cares. We’d pick up more resource to allow us to grow as a club and a team. Never get this “we aren’t ready to go up.” Spiel.