oneBoro Forum

George Camsell

George Henry Camsell was born in Framwellgate, County Durham 1902

After making 21 third division appearences for Durham City he joined the mighty Boro in October 1925 for £600

In the early days he made little impression when playing outside left, making his Boro debut, registered No245, at home to Nottm Forest in a 1-0 win, unimaginable he might have joined Barnsley for £200, fortunately for Boro Barnsley were finding it difficult to raise the money, ironically the team he scored his 1st goal against in a 1-0 away win

GC's Boro career really took off due to an injury to the clubs CF in 1926 & after missing the 1st four games of the season was brought in & only missed one more game that season, scoring an incredible 63 goals in 40 games, league & Cup

In the season he scored 4 doubles, 5 hattricks & 4 goals in 3 matches & 5 goals once & 3 penalties through an unbelievable season

Between 1925 to 1939 he scored 345 goals in 453 matches, add to that his amazing England record, probably England's best CF based on appearences & goals ratio, 9 games, 18 goals, unreal

12 hattricks, 9 x 4 goals 2 X 5 goals throughout his Boro career, amazing stat

Get a statue built Steve

Screenshot_20211127_000339.jpg

Screenshot_20211127_000301.jpg

Screenshot_20211127_000245.jpg

Screenshot_20211127_000228.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It does amaze me how little is known about him outside the Boro and even with Boro. I agree he should have a statue. That record was phenomenal especially for England. I seem to remember reading 59 league goals in one season has only been bettered once. It was Dixie Dean the season after and some 'dodgy' things occurred in the last couple of games with him needing 7 to beat the record (although that may be from a biased account about it being dodgy)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

It does amaze me how little is known about him outside the Boro and even with Boro. I agree he should have a statue. That record was phenomenal especially for England. I seem to remember reading 59 league goals in one season has only been bettered once. It was Dixie Dean the season after and some 'dodgy' things occurred in the last couple of games with him needing 7 to beat the record (although that may be from a biased account about it being dodgy)

My wife's late grandad was a staunch Everton fan and he knew lots about Camsell. I think he was pretty well known outside the area at the time he played. Apparently it was a huge thing at the time where both Camsell and Dean were scoring ridiculous amounts of goals every week. I think its more a matter of time rather than recognition, if you lived through that era you knew who Camsell was there's no doubt about that. I suppose if you asked a load of 20 year olds in the South Stand who Dixie Dean was plenty of them wouldn't know. 

As a kid my wife's grandad used to hang around Goodison on a match day and sneak in through the gates when they opened and watch the last 15 minutes, although Dixie Dean was seen as a god to the young Everton fans he'd be sat in the pub with the older fans after the game and even getting the bus home with them. 

As a football club I'm not sure we recognise our history well enough, I know we never won a trophy with players like Camsell, Clough, Mannion and Hardwick but they are a big part of our history and shouldn't be forgotten about. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

It was Dixie Dean the season after and some 'dodgy' things occurred in the last couple of games with him needing 7 to beat the record (although that may be from a biased account about it being dodgy)

I might be wrong but I'm sure Dean scored more penalties as well, although his goals came in the top flight and Camsell's record was set in the second division (I think). 

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

I might be wrong but I'm sure Dean scored more penalties as well, although his goals came in the top flight and Camsell's record was set in the second division (I think). 

That's true that. I did see the table for the season he broke it the year after assuming its correct. We finished bottom but there was about 8 teams within 2 points of us and we also scored 81 goals. If only cameras were around back then.