oneBoro Forum

Boro v Swansea 1-0 (Jones)

Some of you need to give your head a shake ...

You have to give Swansea some credit .. They made it very difficult for us to play the style we have played in the previous three games .. They were on us like a small condom on King Kong's ding dong .. 

So the result was deserved - We demonstrated that we could now do, what we have failed to do so many times lately - Hang on to three points against a strong side! 

The morale in the squad must have reached the sky after this impressive performance. This must have build a lot of confidence for sure, so get behind the team and celebrate when it's due instead of trying to find any possible little thing to attack, thank you!

Regarding Tav - He was a "star" under NW, cause there were absolutely no attacking tactics, so Tav could be a Boro Messi in a free role ..  Now questions are asked and he needs to find better answers soon. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m feeling really good about this one. I’m taking a chance and am flying over tomorrow to celebrate my friend’s birthday. We are going to the Legends Lounge for the game so really looking forward to

Some of you need to give your head a shake ... You have to give Swansea some credit .. They made it very difficult for us to play the style we have played in the previous three games .. They were

Nice to hear Wilder was complimentary of Leo in saying he has really taken to him. I know people might say people should have a a job on merit and not emotion but with Leo it seems he here on both cou

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

You have to give Swansea some credit .. They made it very difficult for us to play the style we have played in the previous three games .. They were on us like a small condom on King Kong's ding dong .. 

So the result was deserved - We demonstrated that we could now do, what we have failed to do so many times lately - Hang on to three points against a strong side! 

The morale in the squad must have reached the sky after this impressive performance. This must have build a lot of confidence for sure, so get behind the team and celebrate when it's due instead of trying to find any possible little thing to attack, thank you!

Regarding Tav - He was a "star" under NW, cause there were absolutely no attacking tactics, so Tav could be a Boro Messi in a free role ..  Now questions are asked and he needs to find better answers soon. 

I'm liking this comment just for that phrase really lol. 

Though I agree with everything you said too haha.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

After reading the EG, Chris had a few words of criticism. Hope he pops in it may cheer him up. 

I could not make the game today but when Onel came on was he used as a striker?

If he was it seems clear Wilder will want a pool of 4 strikers. I can see Onel being sent back in jan. New striker plus Sporar Watmore and Uche. Albeit i can see Wilder sanctioning Uche sale and bringing in 2.

Hope we dont have a huge overhaul in Jan. Really only want 2 or 3 players max.

13 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I could not make the game today but when Onel came on was he used as a striker?

If he was it seems clear Wilder will want a pool of 4 strikers. I can see Onel being sent back in jan. New striker plus Sporar Watmore and Uche. Albeit i can see Wilder sanctioning Uche sale and bringing in 2.

Hope we dont have a huge overhaul in Jan. Really only want 2 or 3 players max.

He played the Watmore role, basically, yeah

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Is that not a moan then? 

Not really, read a few posts that sounded like they quite annoyed at how we played.  I wasn’t annoyed I just with we’d take our chances better.  Delighted with a 1-0 win and watching us playing football. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, sanddancer said:

I think we have conceded 4 in 4 and 3 were not the keepers fault but rather stupid mistakes or bad luck. On the other hand we have nearly half a squad not good enough to compete in the championship so find it strange why we are discussing a keeper who never conceded today.  

The reason why the Keeper is being dissected is because his distribution was poor and very badly timed all afternoon almost like a pre pubescent12 year old at a JLS concert and as a consequence he repeatedly put us straight back under the cosh.

Granted he stopped a few shots straight at him and tipped one over the bar which were good albeit expected at this level but the fumbled juggle on the line of his own 18 yard box (or even outside it) was eccentric at best and then there was the one were he nearly conceded a needless corner as he dived and grappled a ball that was going out for a goal kick to us. 

Honestly not sure really what the big problem is with Daniels from some people. His distribution isn't that bad, or at least it hasn't been since he's been in the team, we've had much, much worse. We don't need our keeper to be pinging passes round like De Bruyne, or even Ederson.

I think he had a tough job in that area today too. He's often wanting to find the short option but today, the game did not allow for it often and honestly I didn't fancy him to give it to anyone but Paddy in those areas, especially in the second half when Swansea were all over us, pushing their players so far up that Wilder at one point switched to 5-4-1, had Tav and Watmore pulling back as wide players to deal with it. So he needed to go long and he basically had nobody to aim for if Crooks didn't have his head up.

Can he be improved upon? Of course he can. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, he's doing alright, he helped keep a clean sheet today.

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Honestly not sure really what the big problem is with Daniels from some people. His distribution isn't that bad, or at least it hasn't been since he's been in the team, we've had much, much worse. We don't need our keeper to be pinging passes round like De Bruyne, or even Ederson.

I think he had a tough job in that area today too. He's often wanting to find the short option but today, the game did not allow for it often and honestly I didn't fancy him to give it to anyone but Paddy in those areas, especially in the second half when Swansea were all over us, pushing their players so far up that Wilder at one point switched to 5-4-1, had Tav and Watmore pulling back as wide players to deal with it. So he needed to go long and he basically had nobody to aim for if Crooks didn't have his head up.

Can he be improved upon? Of course he can. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, he's doing alright, he helped keep a clean sheet today.

He made 29 passes today, 26 were long balls. 11 of those found a Boro player. 

It's not good enough for the style of play we've wanted to impose and he needs replaced in January, simple as that for me. 

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect us to have a lot of the ball today, Swansea have been working on this tactic for a lot longer than us. I did expect us to be a bit more composed at the back and control the game a little better than we did though, and a big part of that was the frequency with which the ball went back to the keeper only to be pumped back to the Swansea defenders to build another attack.

It was essentially a Warnock performance without the man marking and with better pressing off the ball. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

He made 29 passes today, 26 were long balls. 11 of those found a Boro player. 

It's not good enough for the style of play we've wanted to impose and he needs replaced in January, simple as that for me. 

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect us to have a lot of the ball today, Swansea have been working on this tactic for a lot longer than us. I did expect us to be a bit more composed at the back and control the game a little better than we did though, and a big part of that was the frequency with which the ball went back to the keeper only to be pumped back to the Swansea defenders to build another attack.

It was essentially a Warnock performance without the man marking and with better pressing off the ball. 

Indeed there was nothing in that performance today that was anything like we want to play on the regular and I believe Wilder acknowledged that after the game too. On that front, I'm not worried yet.

But I just don't see why it's so poorly reflected onto Daniels in that respect, not today at least. Those stats might not read well to you but I guess the way I'd put it is, in each individual circumstance, I don't remember many times that I disagreed with his choice of pass? So maybe those stats aren't what we want to see every game but today? Meh.

Our opponent today was the first one I've seen under Wilder that played to win and tried to put significant pressure on us across the pitch and they piled on even more in the second half. They had the midfield completely locked down. After the last couple of games where the likes of Howson and Crooks have stood out, today they were almost nonexistent from a possession standpoint.

It's because of that that I actually think we intentionally tried to play more direct today to try and counter the risks they were taking and the control they had in midfield. And to be fair, it worked. One ball from defence to attack leads to the goal. Pressing must have felt like a nightmare today too as they really play to kill your press before passing it into a better position but we still got a few opportunities from that too.

I think today was a sign of us having to adapt to win games different ways based on the situation in front of us. I don't think it's a sign of things to come because we won't play a better side at keeping the ball than Swansea all season. I can accept the way we played today, not just because we got the result but because we've already seen this isn't the way we'll want to play every game, I believe.

• Like 4

I wasn't around yesterday, so watching those highlights and reading this thread have been my only exposure to the game. A few comments:

1. I don't think I've ever heard less enthusiastic football commentators than that Swansea pair. They sound like they're commentating on the snooker. Wonder if either of them has the surname Lowe?

2. Re Daniels - I agree he's no Randolph and we should look for a new first choice keeper in January, but if the opposition are playing a high press, surely he has to go long? And once he does, poor completion stats are partly the fault of the outfield players for not successfully fighting for the ball as it drops.

3. I don't remember Tav getting a touch in those highlights (apologies if I blinked and missed him). He needs to be dropped and given some intensive coaching to see if we can unlock the player he could be.

4. Agree with other posters that under Warnock, we'd have buckled in the second half, rather than holding out for the win. Wilder is bringing many new attributes to the club, and yesterday we saw one of the most valuable of these - resilience.

At the end of the day, it's bedtime. So let's ignore that particular cliche and simply say we are four points off the play-offs with comparable goal difference to Coventry. After the last few years, that's not a bad place to be in early December as an exciting new manager settles into post and a transfer window looms into view.

• Like 6

We got the win, which is the most important thing. 
We were fortunate because Swansea missed a few chances, but we carved out a few as well. So it wasn’t totally one sided. 
I think we managed to hold our own better due to our use of the ball, we kept possession longer meaning we weren’t blowing out of our *** like under Warnock. 
Big Sol was quality again, his little shimmy and then pass for Jones’ goal was superb. 
I didn’t expect us to get a win yesterday but I’m happy with how we played. 

Regarding Daniels I think he’s okay but he does tend to go long rather than play it short at times which in a possession based team would annoy me. I’d be saying to him, ‘if I wanted you to smash it long, I could have done that before passing to you’ but he did do some good saves. 

3 points and some good progress. The only downside is our finishing isn’t clinical 🥲

11 hours ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

Not really, read a few posts that sounded like they quite annoyed at how we played.  I wasn’t annoyed I just with we’d take our chances better.  Delighted with a 1-0 win and watching us playing football. 

Sorry if i sounded challenging buddy. 

I see where you are coming from so let’s call it, healthy annoyed. 
It’s good to read what people think and I for one thought we dropped our standards compared to the previous three games. 
I read the posts and collectively they cover much the same subject but I don’t think many if any are overly critical. We don’t all wear the same glasses and there are some pretty knowledgable and fair posters on here, so I like to read where people think improvement is needed.  Fact Chris made a statement expressing similar traits. 

Anyway I would have taken a point yesterday but I wanted to see signs of progress. Swansea dominated play, they looked balanced, fitter, mobile and won first and second balls, but we fought through the second half, which wasn’t pretty but progress of sorts. 

Edited by sanddancer