oneBoro Forum

Boro v Swansea 1-0 (Jones)

7 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Indeed there was nothing in that performance today that was anything like we want to play on the regular and I believe Wilder acknowledged that after the game too. On that front, I'm not worried yet.

But I just don't see why it's so poorly reflected onto Daniels in that respect, not today at least. Those stats might not read well to you but I guess the way I'd put it is, in each individual circumstance, I don't remember many times that I disagreed with his choice of pass? So maybe those stats aren't what we want to see every game but today? Meh.

Our opponent today was the first one I've seen under Wilder that played to win and tried to put significant pressure on us across the pitch and they piled on even more in the second half. They had the midfield completely locked down. After the last couple of games where the likes of Howson and Crooks have stood out, today they were almost nonexistent from a possession standpoint.

It's because of that that I actually think we intentionally tried to play more direct today to try and counter the risks they were taking and the control they had in midfield. And to be fair, it worked. One ball from defence to attack leads to the goal. Pressing must have felt like a nightmare today too as they really play to kill your press before passing it into a better position but we still got a few opportunities from that too.

I think today was a sign of us having to adapt to win games different ways based on the situation in front of us. I don't think it's a sign of things to come because we won't play a better side at keeping the ball than Swansea all season. I can accept the way we played today, not just because we got the result but because we've already seen this isn't the way we'll want to play every game, I believe.

I thought he was seeing the game as it was. We were second best in must areas, coinciding passes and second to the ball, Sol was flagging and Swansea dominated midfield. It’s a brave man who under the conditions yesterday thought we were capable of playing out from the back. There was plenty of green behind Swansea back line. 
It’s not the game I was hoping for, Swansea totally bossed us and I don’t think it’s the keeper at fault. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m feeling really good about this one. I’m taking a chance and am flying over tomorrow to celebrate my friend’s birthday. We are going to the Legends Lounge for the game so really looking forward to

Some of you need to give your head a shake ... You have to give Swansea some credit .. They made it very difficult for us to play the style we have played in the previous three games .. They were

Nice to hear Wilder was complimentary of Leo in saying he has really taken to him. I know people might say people should have a a job on merit and not emotion but with Leo it seems he here on both cou

Posted Images

Anyone else think the 18 man squad yesterday is our strongest until January. There are 4 players currently out (Peltier Hall Sammy and Browne). I dont see any of them pushing one of the current 18 out though.

Maybe Peltier but think Dijksteel has edge on him in that he can play CB and RWB. Peltier at his age will not be able to play RWB. And Hall and Peltier aint pushing Fry off the bench currently imo.

I dont see Browne returning to competitive action before year is out.

9 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Indeed there was nothing in that performance today that was anything like we want to play on the regular and I believe Wilder acknowledged that after the game too. On that front, I'm not worried yet.

But I just don't see why it's so poorly reflected onto Daniels in that respect, not today at least. Those stats might not read well to you but I guess the way I'd put it is, in each individual circumstance, I don't remember many times that I disagreed with his choice of pass? So maybe those stats aren't what we want to see every game but today? Meh.

Our opponent today was the first one I've seen under Wilder that played to win and tried to put significant pressure on us across the pitch and they piled on even more in the second half. They had the midfield completely locked down. After the last couple of games where the likes of Howson and Crooks have stood out, today they were almost nonexistent from a possession standpoint.

It's because of that that I actually think we intentionally tried to play more direct today to try and counter the risks they were taking and the control they had in midfield. And to be fair, it worked. One ball from defence to attack leads to the goal. Pressing must have felt like a nightmare today too as they really play to kill your press before passing it into a better position but we still got a few opportunities from that too.

I think today was a sign of us having to adapt to win games different ways based on the situation in front of us. I don't think it's a sign of things to come because we won't play a better side at keeping the ball than Swansea all season. I can accept the way we played today, not just because we got the result but because we've already seen this isn't the way we'll want to play every game, I believe.

Spot on, however good you are tactically and however good your game plan is you'll eventually come up against someone who can neutralise your tactics. 

Under Warnock our first half performances were pretty decent and it was in the second half of games that we failed to adapt to the opposition when they changed things. 

Yesterday was a day where our style didn't match up well with Swansea's and they are a bit further down the road with their new manager. The important thing was the 3 points even though we rode our luck at times. 

Hopefully with more work on the training ground and a couple of better players in January this will allow us to dominate teams even more with our plan A, and when thats not working we'll have a plan B that will be equally as effective. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Downsouth said:

For your enjoyment and just to clarify we did not capatalise on their high line, we did cause problems but did not do better with the chances we got.

still very happy with the win

Never heard such dour commentary 😂 Heard more excitement in a library! 

• Haha 2

First half it looked like we had a game plan to try and beat Swansea's high defensive line and it worked reasonably well. Would have worked better if our players knew how to stay on side more often and were more clinical with the final pass / shot.

I was really pleased to see that it looks like Wilder does his homework and can set up a team to play more than 1 way - even if he does insist in sticking with the same formation. Even better, it looks like the players are listening and trying to follow his instructions.

The second half was a lot scrappier. We didn't see much of the ball and weren't able to get forward nearly as often...though a lot of that was down to Swansea's more intense pressure. 

I still feel we were rather fortunate to get all 3 points. Our defence did look lightweight at times and I feel really sorry for Bamba. The amount of work he's having to put in since he was made the lynchpin of our back line...bet he wasn't expecting that when he joined. I really do worry for us if he ever gets injured.

Still, as has been said, we are a work in progress. Think its also a mark of how much progress we have made in a short space of time, that we're discussing flaws and shortcomings when we win, rather than bemoaning the general mediocrity we usually witnessed under Warnock.

We're not the finished article by a long way, but we're definitely improving.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Sorry if i sounded challenging buddy. 

I see where you are coming from so let’s call it, healthy annoyed. 
It’s good to read what people think and I for one thought we dropped our standards compared to the previous three games. 
I read the posts and collectively they cover much the same subject but I don’t think many if any are overly critical. We don’t all wear the same glasses and there are some pretty knowledgable and fair posters on here, so I like to read where people think improvement is needed.  Fact Chris made a statement expressing similar traits. 

Anyway I would have taken a point yesterday but I wanted to see signs of progress. Swansea dominated play, they looked balanced, fitter, mobile and won first and second balls, but we fought through the second half, which wasn’t pretty but progress of sorts. 

It’s fine, I just think the 4 games under Wilder for me have been a vast improvement so there are no complaints.  He knows that some players are not upto it and there is and will be a transitional period where players need to get used to a new system.  All good 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Our defence did look lightweight at times and I feel really sorry for Bamba. The amount of work he's having to put in since he was made the lynchpin of our back line...bet he wasn't expecting that when he joined. I really do worry for us if he ever gets injured.

Why would you feel sorry for him? He’s a professional footballer and I bet he is loving it. If he was hoping to just sit On the bench every week he should have just retired. I’d feel more sorry for ikpeazu who signed under Warnock to play that dour tactics with a lump up front and now he’s having to play under a manager who probably won’t use him after January if he’s even going to stay. 

• Like 1

Listening to Wilder's post match interviews just gives me so much optimistim going forward. Its been a really long time since I genuinely not only enjoyed but believed every word a Boro manager has said.

Completely night and day from Warnock and what a great feeling it is to be looking forward to every game again.

• Like 6

Really enjoying the matches again and I loved that we managed to get that victory yesterday. Not seen a win like that for quite some time. The team and fans really seem connected and it’s brilliant to see. I wish Sporar could get a goal because I think he could go on a bit of a run, not quite falling for him at the moment. 

I’m slightly worried we might go up this season, I don’t think we’re quite ready! 

5 hours ago, Boroste said:

Never heard such dour commentary 😂 Heard more excitement in a library! 

It was dire, mono, boring commentary best suited in a church paying tribute to a lost soul. I kept thinking turn up the volume from the stadium, get some back ground noise. I am sure it was broadcast from some sound proof studio. Possibly why and because there was no atmosphere the game felt underwhelming.  I had made comment about it during the game but not receiving a response thought it was just my link. 

2 hours ago, Skinemrippers said:

Really enjoying the matches again and I loved that we managed to get that victory yesterday. Not seen a win like that for quite some time. The team and fans really seem connected and it’s brilliant to see. I wish Sporar could get a goal because I think he could go on a bit of a run, not quite falling for him at the moment. 

I’m slightly worried we might go up this season, I don’t think we’re quite ready.. 

Dear lord what are you smoking? 

2 hours ago, Skinemrippers said:

Haven’t quite sobered up yet and it’s unlikely that I will as I’m back on the beer 🍺 again 🙄 I really enjoyed the corporate experience at the Riverside yesterday and the result was great too UTB 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Borodane said:

Why would you feel sorry for him? He’s a professional footballer and I bet he is loving it. If he was hoping to just sit On the bench every week he should have just retired. I’d feel more sorry for ikpeazu who signed under Warnock to play that dour tactics with a lump up front and now he’s having to play under a manager who probably won’t use him after January if he’s even going to stay. 

I feel sorry for Bamba because I'm fairly certain he signed for us with the intention of being a player-coach.

He signed under Warnock and was immediately given the role of bench-warmer, only expected to play if one (or more) of our first-choice defenders was unavailable.

With Wilder he's playing week in, week out, as the focal point of our defence.

While I'm sure he's enjoying the responsibility, he must be feeling all those minutes.

How many 36-year-olds do you know who play that regularly?

I'm happy for him, but I do wonder how long he can keep it up...and more importantly if Fry or any of the others will be able to perform as capably, should Sol get injured.

Ikpeazu, on the other hand, was equally useless under Warnock as he is now... 🤷‍♂️