oneBoro Forum

Boro v Swansea 1-0 (Jones)

Swansea average 66% possession every match so I imagine their fans see that sort of game a lot. I'd prefer us to be adaptable and exploit a team's weakness with Long Balls than to try and play right into their hands. 

I've seen enough from Wilder's first 4 games that we'll play a modern style of football for the most part. But I'd always prefer us to be a winning team than an attractive team... 

• Like 3
  • Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m feeling really good about this one. I’m taking a chance and am flying over tomorrow to celebrate my friend’s birthday. We are going to the Legends Lounge for the game so really looking forward to

Some of you need to give your head a shake ... You have to give Swansea some credit .. They made it very difficult for us to play the style we have played in the previous three games .. They were

Nice to hear Wilder was complimentary of Leo in saying he has really taken to him. I know people might say people should have a a job on merit and not emotion but with Leo it seems he here on both cou

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Foogle said:

Swansea average 66% possession every match so I imagine their fans see that sort of game a lot. I'd prefer us to be adaptable and exploit a team's weakness with Long Balls than to try and play right into their hands. 

I've seen enough from Wilder's first 4 games that we'll play a modern style of football for the most part. But I'd always prefer us to be a winning team than an attractive team... 

While you are obviously right about the winning part they are not mutually exclusive, so I want us to try and play decent FOOTball while winning 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

While you are obviously right about the winning part they are not mutually exclusive, so I want us to try and play decent FOOTball while winning 🙂 

I think and agree with Foogle in what he's saying that that's what we'll do for the most part. But we aren't going to be able to win every game playing one way, we've had plenty of complaints about managers in recent years who don't adapt to the situation going on in front of them and play one way for the sake of playing it. If we try to play like we have done for the first 3 games for the most part but win games against teams where it won't work by doing something different as we did on Saturday, don't think we can have many complaints.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think and agree with Foogle in what he's saying that that's what we'll do for the most part. But we aren't going to be able to win every game playing one way, we've had plenty of complaints about managers in recent years who don't adapt to the situation going on in front of them and play one way for the sake of playing it. If we try to play like we have done for the first 3 games for the most part but win games against teams where it won't work by doing something different as we did on Saturday, don't think we can have many complaints.

Oh yeah I agree. There are times when you need to stray from your normal plan. Swansea didn't do that and got beat. They could have stopping tippy-toeing about and put our backline under a bit more pressure as we've shown so many times that we eventually crack. I'm excited to see if our defence will look better with a fit Fry alongside McNair and Dijksteel. Surely Wilder will be planning on moving Bamba onto the bench. Despite him doing ever so well he must be tiring towards the end of matches and isn't the quickest player. Also he's only here for the season. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Some of the forum like to see us play decent football whilst whinning!😀

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Oh yeah I agree. There are times when you need to stray from your normal plan. Swansea didn't do that and got beat. They could have stopping tippy-toeing about and put our backline under a bit more pressure as we've shown so many times that we eventually crack. I'm excited to see if our defence will look better with a fit Fry alongside McNair and Dijksteel. Surely Wilder will be planning on moving Bamba onto the bench. Despite him doing ever so well he must be tiring towards the end of matches and isn't the quickest player. Also he's only here for the season. 

Bamba looks absolutely shot after every attack in the last 20-30 minutes. It's amazing he manages to maintain any composure at all. The intelligence is still there, just don't know if he's fit enough to keep doing this every week.

It has been pretty clear that Wilder has Boro playing with a totally different mindset far beyond just setting up the team formation differently. We saw shorts spells in the two opening Wilder games and then came that powerhouse first half against Huddersfield who up until then had an excellent Home record when they simply couldn't cope with us. It's improving and whilst not quite unrecognisable just yet it is definitely moving in the right direction in terms of enjoying watching Boro once again.

Liverpool nicked a 93rd minute winner against Wolves on Saturday to get all three points. I'd bet Wolves fans felt deflated , robbed of a point but the Liverpool fans would have been ecstatic. They had previously destroyed Man Utd just a few weeks back and Everton a few days previously in goal fests but Saturday didn't work put that way. Sometimes you have to grit your teeth and keep going and grind the result out in whatever way you can. 

It's great to be a Boro fan and for a change be moaning that we won badly. Had Watmore taken his Golden ticket I think it would have felt a lot more comfortable in the end. My heart was in my mouth at times and by backside was twitching clearing every cross and header sat in my seat. That in itself was entertaining, just the fact that I was absorbed in the game and willing us on. There have been too many times over the last four or so years when I just zoned out watching Pulis ball and the rest that followed. I'm more than happy and impressed by the changes that I am having the pleasure to witness.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Bamba looks absolutely shot after every attack in the last 20-30 minutes. It's amazing he manages to maintain any composure at all. The intelligence is still there, just don't know if he's fit enough to keep doing this every week.

His lack of composure due to being knackered cost us against PNE. He is the kind of guy that is excellent to put on with 10 minutes to go to calm things down at the back, but 90 minutes untill the end of the season is asking a lot. With the series of games coming over christmas/new year it's a great time for Fry to come back.

• Like 1

Good to se a lot of positivity 

The folks complaining about us winning ugly … It’s not many moons ago, that everyone would be happy to win that way … Short memory much? 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Just got round to watching the highlights. I forgot about that save Daniels had to make in the first half from... Manning, was it? Can't have been an easy one either, looked like our defender had entirely obscured his view of the ball.

First view of the Watmore chance too. Takes a great touch round the defender but once he reaches the box, he tries to take his time to see what the keeper will do and I think in his exhaustion just forgets he needs to hit the ball quickly enough. He absolutely ran himself into the ground first half trying to scrap for opportunities.

22 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Just got round to watching the highlights. I forgot about that save Daniels had to make in the first half from... Manning, was it? Can't have been an easy one either, looked like our defender had entirely obscured his view of the ball.

First view of the Watmore chance too. Takes a great touch round the defender but once he reaches the box, he tries to take his time to see what the keeper will do and I think in his exhaustion just forgets he needs to hit the ball quickly enough. He absolutely ran himself into the ground first half trying to scrap for opportunities.

I’m not sure Watmore has actually done 90 minutes in any game this season. Where he has started, he has always been substituted. Either he isn’t fit enough to do the ninety, or - more likely -  he’s been told to go all out and harass the opposition for the first hour and then fresh legs will come on to do same job.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

I’m not sure Watmore has actually done 90 minutes in any game this season. Where he has started, he has always been substituted. Either he isn’t fit enough to do the ninety, or - more likely -  he’s been told to go all out and harass the opposition for the first hour and then fresh legs will come on to do same job.

He didn't complete full 90s under Warnock when the football was played at a snails pace either. He's just not fit enough for 90 mins. Really good squad option but I'd be looking for someone who can last the full 90 to be first choice. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SmogDane said:

Good to se a lot of positivity 

The folks complaining about us winning ugly … It’s not many moons ago, that everyone would be happy to win that way … Short memory much? 

image.jpeg

Yes we got three points, but after a complete change in direction from Wilder and his coaching staff and a more fluent type of play emerge over the last few games, we saw some players revert to type and start just kicking it aimlessly down field. I do not see how pointing this out and being worried by it is negative and complaing

32 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

He didn't complete full 90s under Warnock when the football was played at a snails pace either. He's just not fit enough for 90 mins. Really good squad option but I'd be looking for someone who can last the full 90 to be first choice. 

I don't think it particularly stopped him from running about though under Warnock. He was probably the most mobile player on the pitch when he was in Warnock's side behind or as the front man, it's what made him stand out and helped him score the goals he managed to.

You can always improve on what you've got but we do play a physically demanding game. I'm not entirely convinced we'll find someone who does what he does for a full 90 minutes every week for a decent price. If they're out there, sure. If not, Watmore is pretty good at what he does when he's got his head in the game and I'm happy with him in the starting line-up.