oneBoro Forum

Boro v Swansea 1-0 (Jones)

Polish_20211130_185320660.jpg.7390dceff5513c9b5b9548f9fab244c9.jpg

Middlesbrough v Swansea City

Saturday 4th December

Riverside Stadium

KO: 3pm

We beat Huddersfield! We played well (apart from the silly own goal!) The team are starting to look the business, but can we do it on home turf against Swansea City, a team who are only just above us in the table by a point?

Simon Pegg Swan GIF by Working Title

(Can we catch the Swan(s), then? IT'S A HOT FUZZ REFERENCE, LEAVE ME ALONE)

Will I join the fabled 3 game MDT Club? Find out on Saturday!

Team News

Dael Fry, Martin Payero and Marcus Browne are all back in full training, woohoo. Expect Fry and Payero to at least make the bench, rumours of Browne leaving on loan may mean he'll miss out. 

What they're saying in Wales

Edrychwch yma chi, nid wyf yn teithio yr holl ffordd i fyny i Middlesbrough, mae'n rhy waedlyd bell, gwelwch?

(Probably.)

https://www.scfc2.co.uk/forums/discussion/5455/match-discussion-middlesbrough-v-swansea-city-championship-2021-22

Not a great deal of discussion, they seem to think it could go either way. 

Talking Points

Starting lineup/Formation?

Can we realistically push for promotion this season? We've only won 1 game in 3 since Wilder took over (not exactly promotion winning form) but the team played well in those games and we're looking so much better?

What is the best movie of all time and why is it Hot Fuzz?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m feeling really good about this one. I’m taking a chance and am flying over tomorrow to celebrate my friend’s birthday. We are going to the Legends Lounge for the game so really looking forward to

Some of you need to give your head a shake ... You have to give Swansea some credit .. They made it very difficult for us to play the style we have played in the previous three games .. They were

Nice to hear Wilder was complimentary of Leo in saying he has really taken to him. I know people might say people should have a a job on merit and not emotion but with Leo it seems he here on both cou

Posted Images

The 2 stand out games i remember against Swansea recently were the relegation season when Gestede missed a last minute sitter to win it and last seasons debacle with the disallowed goal and the last minute penalty. I think we owe them one. I think the game last season more or less ended any promotion ambitions and Warnocks collective immortality in Boro folklore 😏.

I think things are looking good with the way we are generally playing and now with a few players looking like they're getting back to fitness I will go for a 2-0 win.

I do love the cornetto trilogy although I would go The Departed and Gladiator as the top 2. 4 Lions and In Bruges special mentions for my outlandish hipster side.

A bit early dear chap, I thought I was missing a scheduled mid week game. 

Love a easy to digest comedy but many are dumbed down subjects these days so as not to offend the many offences dreamt up by the few. Thankfully we still have Newcastle to laugh at. 

Just read the academy has changed it’s playing formation to mirror the first team, why it wasn’t aligned is baffling but it just gives me confidence Chris is making positive changes through out the club. I would like to see a new build rather then a makeover. So on that note and what has been on show over the past three games I feel we will see improvement, not necessary a win but improvement and confidence. At this stage i think it to early to expect fitness levels to be at a level they need to be, so I wouldn’t  predict a win based on our previous second half performances and capitulation. 

Looking forward to the game, bring it on. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

The 2 stand out games i remember against Swansea recently were the relegation season when Gestede missed a last minute sitter to win it and last seasons debacle with the disallowed goal and the last minute penalty. I think we owe them one. I think the game last season more or less ended any promotion ambitions and Warnocks collective immortality in Boro folklore 😏.

I think things are looking good with the way we are generally playing and now with a few players looking like they're getting back to fitness I will go for a 2-0 win.

I do love the cornetto trilogy although I would go The Departed and Gladiator as the top 2. 4 Lions and In Bruges special mentions for my outlandish hipster side.

Thinking about what you said I do think it demoralised and stripped bare NW persona of the chosen one. 

Daniels

Dijk Bamba Paddy

Jones Crooks Howson Tav Bola

Watmore Sporar

Subs: Stoj, Fry, Taylor, Saliki, Payero, Onel, Uche.

Boro win 2 nil (i hope).

Best movie of all time: Debbie Does Dallas.

23/01/1935 - 1st home game against Swansea City (Town back then) was a 3-0 defeat at Ayresome Park

It will be the 25th game between both teams on Teesside with the following record:

Won - 14

Drew - 5

Lost - 5

Goals scored – 59

Goals against - 31 

A couple of big home wins v Swansea over the years

18/12/1926 - 7-1 

9/3/1957 - 6-2

21/3/1959 - 6-2

17th January 1995 - Boro 1 Swansea City 2

Our last ever cup opponents at Ayresome Park

4 x goal scorers v Swansea over the years  

19th December 1936 -  George Camsell became the 5th different Boro player & the 7th time in our history when he scored 4 goals for the mighty Boro in a competitive match in a 7-1 home win

George Camsell scored  four goals in one game 9 times, the Swansea been his 3rd time

21st March 1959 - Brian Clough became the 11th different Boro player & the 23rd time in our history when he scored 4 goals for the mighty Boro in a competitive match in a 6-2 home win

Brian Clough scored  four goals in one game 5 times, the Swansea been his 4 time

3 have scored only 3 penalties v Swansea over the year 

21st March 1959 - (2nd divison) Bill Harris became the 36th different Boro penalty goalscorer when he scored the clubs 121st home penalty in a 6-2 win

13th February 1983 - (1st division now PL) Tony McAndrew became the 79th different Boro penalty goalscorer when he scored the clubs 79th away penalty in a 1-1 draw

17th December 2016 - (PL) Negrado became the 88th different Boro penalty goalscorer when he scored the clubs 255th home penalty in a 3-0 win

Played for both team

Bill Harris - March 1954 our record signing at one time & penalty expert - £18k

Mel Nurse - September 1962 our record signing at the time - £25k

Mel started  finished his football league career at Swansea Town & finished his career at Swansea City

Phil Boeasma - December 1975 our record signing at one time - £72.5k

John Mahoney - August 1977 John Neal 1st signing & our record signing at one time - £92k

Dimi 

Leroy Lita 

Marvin Emnes

Danny Graham

Dwight Tiendalli, 2 games & Connor Roberts 4 games are the only players we have loaned from Swansea City

Did you know fact:- 

After signing for Boro within a week of joining, he was made captain

During a night out in his time at Boro, Mel Nurse was once mistaken for train robber Ronnie Biggs. He was pulled over by police & questioned before his real identity was established

Bill Harris has the distinction of scoring the fastest Boro FAC goal when, after 11 seconds on the 31st January 1962, he scored the opening goal in a 5-1 4th round home win over Shrewsbury Town

• Like 3

I'm not even sure Hot Fuzz is the best of the Cornetto Trilogy. 

I still think The Dark Knight is the best movie I've seen. We're talking the same year as Iron Man so before (some of) the MCU really showed how good superhero movies could be from start to finish and before I really cared much about superheroes as a genre. When I first saw that at the cinema too, I hadn't seen (or knew of the connection to) Batman Begins so I was already missing some context which a lot of the better MCU films might struggle without, it stands out like a sore thumb in the middle of its prequel and sequel. I think the closest any MCU movie comes to The Dark Knight in that respect is perhaps The Winter Soldier.

Back to the football, I think the same team starts again. Fry and Payero hopefully back on the bench to strengthen options. I've no idea how this game will go beyond the fact if Jamie Paterson is fit, he'll score.

As for promotion, probably not but I'm fine with that this season. Wilder's shown enough in 3 games to tell me I want to see more and I'm willing to be patient with him to get there. Lets see how January goes and how the make-up of the squad changes and what happens elsewhere in the division.

Signs of things starting to click and I think that trend will continue after Wilder's first full week on the training pitch with the whole squad. Key players returning too, so things are (hopefully) on the up.

Think we'll win this but as long we play well again that's the most important thing right now.... Rome wasn't built in a day etc etc 

Like others have mentioned its more about the performance for me. Wilder has already entered this season on the back-foot, he'd have to finish the rest of the season with the form of a team aiming for automatic promotion for us to finish in the playoffs. This is despite the fact that he's got to walk in and implement a new style of play with a squad that he hasn't had any input in building yet. It's certainly not impossible but as long as we continue putting in these more positive performances his first season is a success for me.

The weeks rest has come at a good time for us as we've not had much opportunity for rotation. Think this will be a 1-1, we'll continue to have a few bright spells of great football and then come undone at some point in the second half.

Wilder's tenure will be like the greatest films of all time: the Lord of the Rings... it'll start slow fighting minor battles against unspeakable creatures (Millwall FC) but will end fighting a monumental battle against the forces of evil: the state backed Man City and Newcastle.  

• Like 1

Starting line-up / formation?

Well we know its gonna be 3-5-2. Probably the same line-up as the Huddersfield game...though I expect Fry to come off the bench after an hour or so to give Bamba a rest.

Can we realistically push for promotion this season? 

Realistically and based on current form...no. We'd need a pretty drastic improvement - possibly aided by some January signings. Not out of the question, but I'm not even thinking about it at this stage.

What is the best movie of all time and why is it Hot Fuzz?

You're actually thinking of Sharknado 2...

...just kidding! 

There's no such thing as a best movie of all time, but one of my enduring favourites has to be Aliens.

James Cameron Siguorney Weaver GIF by Aliens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Rubber Dinghy Rapids, brother

I love Four Lions. I think Chris Morris wrote it at exactly the right time too, I'm not sure it would fly these days.

Btw I was kidding about Hot Fuzz being the best movie of all time, my actual top 3 would be:

1. The Godfather Part II

2. The Shawshank Redemption

3. Seven Samurai

Tbh I flop between 1 & 3 all the time, Seven Samurai is a stone cold classic though.

• Downsouth changed the title to Boro v Swansea 1-0 (Jones)