oneBoro Forum

Who can take a Boro team

Who were playing poo

Have them winning matches

with a miracle or two?

Chris Wilder man

Chris Wilder can

Chris Wilder he can cause he plays attacking football, makes the players play good

Who just wants midtable

Not Chris no that's who

Start to win our matches

And the quality shines through?

Chris Wilder can?

Chris Wilder can

Chris Wilder can

Chris Wilder he can cause he plays attacking football, makes the players play good...

Stoke City v Middlesbrough

Saturday 11th December

bet365 Stadium

KO: 3pm

Get in! It happened! I didn't think it would, but believe it or not, I made it to the 3 up club 😃

Oh, and we beat Swansea too.

Of course, Chris Wilder now only has his eyes on our next opponents, Stoke City:

Polish_20211207_224325664.jpg.e06091023bf7c63bdbaaee7f48137b8e.jpg

Stoke City are above us in 6th place, however they are only a mere 5 points above us and a win could put us within touching distance of the playoff spots. Their form has been slightly more erratic than ours at the moment, having lost two in a row before beating QPR away last Saturday. They're a very decent team, and this will no doubt be a tough game.

Yes, really. Or have you got a secret weapon up your sleeve?     

Fair enough. I guess we don't want to give anything away to the opposition, after all. 

I just have one suggestion though. Drop Tav and play Payero instead?

I know it could, that's why I suggested it.

Okay okay, you're the boss!

Just get us three points and we'll be

Exactly. 

Talking Points

Starting lineup/formation?

Will poor Dejan Stojanovic get a chance under Wilder? What about Josh Coburn?

Can we go undefeated until the new year?

Am I running out of Wilder puns?

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm really happy with the point considering everything. I'm at peace with the fact that we're currently nowhere near our full capacity as we're at the first stage of a long-term rebuild as we're lacki

We've beaten two teams who were above us at the time we played them, which we hadn't managed under Warnock this season.  Of the five games we've played under Wilder, four have been against teams above

Who can take a Boro team Who were playing poo Have them winning matches with a miracle or two?   Chris Wilder man Chris Wilder can Chris Wilder he can cause he plays

Posted Images

Good work @Denzel Zanzibar

1. Starting lineup/formation?

I think it will the same 18 that made up squad v Swansea. Expect the starting 11 to remain unchanged.

I think this is our strongest 18 even with everyone fit in terms of balance and options off the bench.

2. Will poor Dejan Stojanovic get a chance under Wilder? What about Josh Coburn?

Writings on wall for Dejan. He was dropped from the subs bench on weekend for Lumley which tells you he is certainly 3rd choice.

Coburn ideally needs a loan in Jan but the club really needs to get the loan right as our record on loaning players out has not been great

3. Can we go undefeated until the new year?

Its possible with 4 games left. Stoke, Bournemouth, Forest and Blackpool. Albeit I am less concerned about unbeaten runs and more concerned about points gained. Rather take 1 win and a loss over 2 draws. That being said 8pts from next 4 games I would be happy with. Ideally Wilder then turns over Sheff Utd on new years day in our 5th game before a fortnight break from league.

No. keep going just like our unbeaten run.

Great one DZ.

I reckon we will go unchanged. Maybe Fry in for either Bamba or Jones  - if Wilder wants Dijk at RWB to be a bit more solid, but I reckon he'll go with Jones' pace. I also reckon it's too early for Payero to start, so he will be benched. Would be good to see him come off it with a strong cameo.

Dejan will leave probably on a free and Coburn will go out on loan if there are any suiters. A half season in League 1 or 2 will do him good.

I doubt we'll go undefeated. Stoke, Muff and Forest are a tougher run than we've had under Wilder so far. But a win at Stoke will surely breed a lot of confidence and really put us into the mix. However I think it'll be a 1-1 game. 

10 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Who can take a Boro team

Who were playing poo

Have them winning matches

with a miracle or two?

Chris Wilder man

Chris Wilder can

Chris Wilder he can cause he plays attacking football, makes the players play good

Who just wants midtable

Not Chris no that's who

Start to win our matches

And the quality shines through?

Chris Wilder can?

Chris Wilder can

Chris Wilder can

Chris Wilder he can cause he plays attacking football, makes the players play good...

Stoke City v Middlesbrough

Saturday 11th December

bet365 Stadium

KO: 3pm

Get in! It happened! I didn't think it would, but believe it or not, I made it to the 3 up club 😃

Oh, and we beat Swansea too.

Of course, Chris Wilder now only has his eyes on our next opponents, Stoke City:

Polish_20211207_224325664.jpg.e06091023bf7c63bdbaaee7f48137b8e.jpg

Stoke City are above us in 6th place, however they are only a mere 5 points above us and a win could put us within touching distance of the playoff spots. Their form has been slightly more erratic than ours at the moment, having lost two in a row before beating QPR away last Saturday. They're a very decent team, and this will no doubt be a tough game.

Yes, really. Or have you got a secret weapon up your sleeve?     

Fair enough. I guess we don't want to give anything away to the opposition, after all. 

I just have one suggestion though. Drop Tav and play Payero instead?

I know it could, that's why I suggested it.

Okay okay, you're the boss!

Just get us three points and we'll be

Exactly. 

Talking Points

I'm disturbed by how much Wilder looks like Gene Hackman in a lot of those Photoshops!

200.gif

Talking Points

Still The Same GIF by Bob Seger

Wilder doesn't seem to be one for changing a winning formula...or at least changing one he feels comfortable with. Same formation and personnel, barring changes for injury / fatigue etc.

I Hope So Macaulay Culkin GIF by filmeditor

but

I Doubt It Richard Hammond GIF by DriveTribe

pop tv no GIF by Schitt's Creek

With Stoke and Bournemouth next, I don't see us getting anything out of either of those games. An away trip to Blackpool before the turn of the year won't be easy either.

Although DZ may argue

not gonna happen donald trump GIF by Election 2016

I have a feeling

Its Gonna Happen Jeff Cannata GIF by The Dungeon Run

Historically Boro have not done well at Stoke:

Overall: Played 100 Won 42 Drawn 22 Lost 36

Home: Played 50 Won 31 Drawn 11 Lost 8

Away: Played 50 Won 11 Drawn 11 Lost 28

This season Stoke's home record reads P10 W6 D2 L2, so Boro's prospects don't look great. Think we will do well to get a point. Won't be too upset if we lose - though as usual the performance will factor into this.

Same Lineup unless players are getting fatigued. Fry some game time if he's fit.

Probably not, would be harsh to drop a keeper after a cleansheet.

Don't think we'll go undefeated past this game to be honest, Stoke away is a toughen.

I'm utterly BeWildered at this point.

It will be the 51st away meeting between the two teams with the following record:

Won - 11

Drew -11

Lost - 28

Goals scored – 53

Goals against - 84 

27th December 1902 - The 1st away game v Stoke was on the Boro winning 2-0 

3rd March 1956 - Our biggest away win v Stoke was 5-2 

3 & 4 game goalscorers s v Stoke City 

17th April 1906 - Divison One Boro 5 Stoke 0 - Alf Common became the 6th different Boro player to score a treble in one game when he notched his 2nd career Boro hat trick, his 1st & the clubs 3rd at AP,  7th home HT (including 4 at Linthorpe road) & 8 in total

7th September 1946 - Divison One Boro 5 Stoke City 4 -  Micky Fenton became the 8th different Boro player to score a haul in one game when he notched his 2nd career Boro haul, our 18th  in total

12th December 1959 - Division Two Stoke 2 Boro 5 - Brian Clough became the 32nd different Boro player to score a treble in one game when he notched his 8th career Boro hat trick, our 18th away HT & 92nd in total

Penalty scorers v Stoke City

7th April 1906 Boro 5 Stoke 0  Alf Common  became the 7th different Boro penalty goalscorer when he scored the clubs 9th penalty

16th December 1922 Boro 3 Stoke 1 - George Elliott became the 13th different Boro penalty goalscorer when he scored the clubs 35th penalty

27th April 1950 Boro 2 Stoke 0 - Wilf Mannion  became the 31st different Boro penalty goalscorer when he scored the clubs 91st penalty

5th November 1960 Stoke 1 Boro 1 - Bill Harris became the 36th different Boro penalty goalscorer when he scored the clubs 129th penalty, our only penalty at Stoke

21st February 1981 Boro 3 Stoke 1 - Bosco Jankovic became the 46th different Boro penalty goalscorer when he scored the clubs 177th penalty

A number of players who played for both team

John Mahoney –John Neal 1st signing & our record signing at one time, joined the Boro in July 1977 for £90,000. "I didn't want to leave but when I looked at the fixture list, Stoke were away at Mansfield & Boro at home to Liverpool, I knew I had to go." He spent two seasons at Ayresome Park making 90 appearances, scoring 2 goals 

Robert Huth – 63 games for the Boro, zero goals. Huth signed for Stoke for £5 million on a 4-year contract on 27 August 2009

Tuncay Şanlı - 78 games for the Boro, 18  goals. Tuncay signed for Stoke for £5 million on a 4-year contract on 28 August 2009.

Mark Crossley - 31 games for the Boro, in 2003 Boro loaned Crossley to Stoke where he played in 11 matches helping the club avoid relegation from the First Division.

Chris Kamara - February 1993 LL signed CM on a one-month loan, his spell at the Boro lasted just five games, the Boro couldn’t afford to offer him a permanent contract.

Andrew Davies – Played twice for Stoke following a £1.3million transfer from Southampton

Ritchie De Laet - On 17 August 2007, he signed a 3 year contract with Championship club Stoke City for an initial £100,000 fee, didn’t play a single game for Stoke, played 10 games on loan for the Boro.

Graham Kavanagh - Has the honour of scoring Stoke's first goal at the Britannia Stadium in a League Cup match against Rochdale. He left Stoke in the summer of 2001 after making 244 appearances, scoring 45 goals.

Mick Kennedy - Made 39 appearances for Stoke in 1990–91 scoring three goals in a poor season which saw Stoke finish in their lowest ever league position of 14th in the third tier.

John Eustace - 2003 loaned from Coventry he only made one substitute appearance for the Boro, away to Liverpool, where he appeared for only the final two minutes of the game, signed for Stoke the following season.

Shay Given - Kept ten clean sheets in 16 league games while at the Boro.

Nicky Mohan – 99 games for the Boro, 92 games for Stoke.

Dean Whitehead – 132 games for Stoke, 55 games for the Boro

Brian Horne - 1992 he played in goal 4 times for the Boro & one game or Stoke

Dave Kitson – Stoke 34 games 3 goals, Boro 6 games 3 goals.

Frazer Richardson – Stoke 13 games, 1 goal, Boro11 games 0 goals.

Managed Stoke & connections with the Boro:

Brian Little brought as 1st team coach by Bruce Rioch, before becoming Darlington’s manager in 89

Did you know:

Cameron Jerome, who between 2011 & 2014 played 50 games for Stoke, was released from the Boro in 2003, was a 92nd-minute substitute, along with David Murphy & Stuart Parnaby 2 ex Boro players, as Birmingham won the 2011 League Cup, defeating Arsenal 2–1 at Wembley 

Blast from the past

Stoke City 31:08:1974.jpg

• Like 7

If we keep winning, does that mean @Denzel Zanzibarhas to keep doing the MDTs again and again? If so, it's a good job there's lots of quality memes and GIFs out there. Love the Swansea Stoke one, incidentally...

Starting lineup/formation?

Unchanged, because there's no sense destabilising a winning team. Returning players can be on the bench and come on at half time, easing their transition back to first team football.

Will poor Dejan Stojanovic get a chance under Wilder? What about Josh Coburn?

I know he's a generously remunerated footballer, but I'm starting to feel sorry for Stojanovic. I'm thinking about inviting him round at Christmas in case he's sad and lonely, sitting in an empty flat with a one-person microwaved Christmas pudding. He must be really awful in training to be so far from the squad, given the lack of obvious talent ahead of him. Coburn on the other hand is one for the future, and is probably being nurtured as such.

We absolutely can, and given the number of freak goals we've conceded so far, I very much hope we don't concede any more, which should help us to avoid that losing feeling. All December's games are winnable if the team are confident, which we hopefully are after Swansea (the nature of the win as much as the result).

I do hope not! 

It will be a tremendous turn around if we beat Stoke although I would settle for a point to be fair, and still see it as progress. Long time since I’ve said it but I’m looking forward to the game. 

• Downsouth changed the title to Stoke v Boro 0-0