oneBoro Forum

Middlesbrough v Bournemouth 1-0 (Sporar (pen) )

There were a couple of moments of idiocy at the back, but overall, I thought we looked really good today against a team that was supposedly running away with an automatic spot a few weeks ago. I honestly cannot remember the last time we defended a lead in the opposition box like we did for the final few minutes. It's a revelation.

Some players clearly either aren't in form or aren't up to what's being asked of them, but overall, we looked like the top two side out there. If Wilder can do all this within a few games, think what we could look like by August after he's had two transfer windows to mould a stronger squad. It's mouthwatering.

• Like 2
  • Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, this is impressive football under Wilder especially with some average players who I think won't be here in the long term. The club finally has an identity on the playing side and it's refres

Other than most of our players not being good enough, and the manager's subs being awful, we did ok today in the end. Think a few of you should consider taking up a new hobby on a Saturday aftern

for me that's our game of the season so far, not in that I think it's the best we've played, but we righted a lot of wrongs day that have hampered our season. firstly, another clean sheet, three

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Other than most of our players not being good enough, and the manager's subs being awful, we did ok today in the end.

Think a few of you should consider taking up a new hobby on a Saturday afternoon 🤦‍♂️

Think you're the one that needs a hobby, searching through the thread like a sad lad

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

There were a couple of moments of idiocy at the back, but overall, I thought we looked really good today against a team that was supposedly running away with an automatic spot a few weeks ago. I honestly cannot remember the last time we defended a lead in the opposition box like we did for the final few minutes. It's a revelation.

Some players clearly either aren't in form or aren't up to what's being asked of them, but overall, we looked like the top two side out there. If Wilder can do all this within a few games, think what we could look like by August after he's had two transfer windows to mould a stronger squad. It's mouthwatering.

I think Tav is not at his best and his confidence looks to have taken a hit - keeps putting his shirt over his head when he misses a chance, and clearly he should have scored today.  But it's also clear that he isn't *** *** or whatever other moronic comments were made about him.  He's one of our best players not playing at his best, rather than being rubbish.  It's also worth pointing out that the way we are trying to play now will almost certainly lead to more mistakes being made.  By it's very nature there are more risks taken.  You can take the safe option of just launching it or you can try and play.  One way is easier than the other but I know which I prefer.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

No we didn't.  

At no point in the second half were we under sustained pressure.  I'd be surprised if Bournemouth had more than 4 or 5 shots of any kind in the last half hour.  The Lumley save and scramble was about as dangerous as it got.  We must have had nearly 10 efforts in the last half hour, and should have scored what, two of them, three of them?  Tav, Jones, Sporar near the end?

Just because the opposition have an attack it doesn't mean we are knackered or under pressure.  We dominated the second half, we finished the stronger.

I thought we dipped from 55 minutes but then when Hernandez came on we seemed to spark again.

Certainly finished the stronger. We looked incredibly composed actually (apart from the finishing)

There was definitely a little period in the middle of the second half where we looked like we might be under the cosh for the rest of the match, but it was 10mins max. We took complete control and should have won by more than 1 in the end

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

See, this is more like what I watched today.  I don't think the thread during the game reflects that though.

You've been awfully positive about Boro the past few weeks... Who are you and what have you done with the real CT?! 

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, TheJew said:

I thought we dipped from 55 minutes but then when Hernandez came on we seemed to spark again.

Certainly finished the stronger. We looked incredibly composed actually (apart from the finishing)

I genuinely thought only one team was going to win it from half time onwards.  Composed is a great word for it, that's what I thought we were for most of it 👍 The spell of possession we had prior to Sporar's shot that was saved, when he actually should have slipped the ball through for Tav, was like watching a different football club.  Feels like night and day to what we've seen previously.  I wonder if some of the nerves/tension through the game is left over from the last couple of years?  Would be understandable I suppose.

• Like 1

You may have something there CT..  we've got used to defensive collapses that we either wet ourselves, get bladdered or have become Pampered ..  just need to chill out and remember Blanco says we're going up and when has he ever been wrong 🙂

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I genuinely thought only one team was going to win it from half time onwards.  Composed is a great word for it, that's what I thought we were for most of it 👍 The spell of possession we had prior to Sporar's shot that was saved, when he actually should have slipped the ball through for Tav, was like watching a different football club.  Feels like night and day to what we've seen previously.  I wonder if some of the nerves/tension through the game is left over from the last couple of years?  Would be understandable I suppose.

Certainly agree on the style of play. It's very evident that we are now playing football instead of hoofing it. The thing that has impressed me (but I think most of the forum called it beforehand anyway) is that we haven't needed a mass turnaround in players. Our players and squad a primarily good footballers. Our back 3 have to be some of the most comfortable on the ball in the whole division! 

Very impressed with how we have set up. We look a good match for anyone in the league. Amazing how much a manager can change things.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

One of the hallmarks of Chris Wilders reign at Bramall Lane was how good our game management was. We lost very few games that we took the lead in, and didn't do it through time wasting, just through clever football, and clever tactics. 

• Like 7

Was prepared for Wilder's tenure to be stuttering with teething issues evident, but has a bit of a free hit this season. 

We still could go through these if we lose a bit of form and confidence but at the moment this squad looks like it has an excellent platform to build on.