oneBoro Forum

Middlesbrough v Reading 2-1 (Crooks (2) )

12 hours ago, Foogle said:

It still doesn't feel like we're that comfortable in these games where we dominate possession. That's the thing that will take the longest for this squad... to shake the Warnock out of them, to create clear cut chances by moving the ball about in possession rather than just nicking the ball.Ā 

There's definitely a shift in my mentality watching this team where I'd be disappointed with Draws rather than considering them decent results!

Yesterday, we did look a bit slow and hesitant - even when passing backwards and sideways. Struggled to do anything decisive going forward and it definitely looked like a throwback to Warnock's time in charge.

To me it looked like we only "woke up" in the last 10 minutes and started playing how Wilder wants us to. But once we did we looked so much better and Reading just couldn't live with us.

As you say it'll probably take a bit longer for Wilder to get his style fully ingrained in the squad. Probably some other reasons including fatigue, Covid, maybe some carrying minor injuries etc.

But it was brilliant to see we had that resilience in us, that after going a goal down, we could still mount a late push and grab all 3 points.

• Like 2
  • Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

5 wins in a row for the first time since Karanka šŸ‘Œ

What more is there to say about Izzy? The kid is a star who has a knack of coming up big in the biggest moments. Matt Crooks is signing of the season by a long long way.

Just seen the highlights. *** me that cross by Jones. 5 minutes into stoppage team he pulls off that piece of individual display. Totally leaves his man flat footed and sends a pinpoint pass into the

Posted Images

What impressed me a lot with Jones was how good his 1st touch was yesterday he seemed to take everything down so easily despite the difficulty of some of the balls played to him. And as BoroDane says what a ball that was right at the death.

Its a good sign winning ugly in a game where we really didn't turn up to for most of it.Ā 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Downsouth said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/middlesbrough/12516886/middlesbrough-2-1-reading

Ā 

Highlights from the game sent to you all with great fondness........enjoy

2 headed goals a real rareity

Giving the highlights a bump because after all lots of us will be far too lazy to scroll backšŸ˜€

• Like 2

After being very disappointed to see them go one down to a bottomĀ end club I was very happy to see the result and I was happier stillĀ to see the highlights as they could have had another couple.

Lets hope this can continue.

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Yesterday, we did look a bit slow and hesitant - even when passing backwards and sideways. Struggled to do anything decisive going forward and it definitely looked like a throwback to Warnock's time in charge.

To me it looked like we only "woke up" in the last 10 minutes and started playing how Wilder wants us to. But once we did we looked so much better and Reading just couldn't live with us.

As you say it'll probably take a bit longer for Wilder to get his style fully ingrained in the squad. Probably some other reasons including fatigue, Covid, maybe some carrying minor injuries etc.

But it was brilliant to see we had that resilience in us, that after going a goal down, we could still mount a late push and grab all 3 points.

I think that's a harsh assessment IMHO. Reading "parked the bus". They offered little going forward except lumping it up to Carroll. They seemed content to defend, waste time and try to pinch a goal against the run of play, which they did. I thought it was going to be one of those days when Carroll's goal went in, but we kept plugging away and finally got the breakthrough.

I think you are right in the sense that we struggled to break them down in the first half.

I think we should also expect some teething problems...by that I mean that we have a mix of inexperience plus new players. I'm still optimistic and expect positive results, but it might not always be as smooth as we and Wilder want it to be.

That said, I thought we played some great football at times yesterday. With a little more luck and better decision making in the final third, we might have scored first and had a much more comfortable day. We definitely came out flat in the second half, but we responded well to going a goal down.

Totally agree with your last point. It was brilliant to see that new resiliance in us šŸ™‚Ā  Ā UTB!

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Smoggy-in-VA said:

I think that's a harsh assessment IMHO. Reading "parked the bus". They offered little going forward except lumping it up to Carroll. They seemed content to defend, waste time and try to pinch a goal against the run of play, which they did. I thought it was going to be one of those days when Carroll's goal went in, but we kept plugging away and finally got the breakthrough.

I think you are right in the sense that we struggled to break them down in the first half.

I think we should also expect some teething problems...by that I mean that we have a mix of inexperience plus new players. I'm still optimistic and expect positive results, but it might not always be as smooth as we and Wilder want it to be.

That said, I thought we played some great football at times yesterday. With a little more luck and better decision making in the final third, we might have scored first and had a much more comfortable day. We definitely came out flat in the second half, but we responded well to going a goal down.

Totally agree with your last point. It was brilliant to see that new resiliance in us šŸ™‚Ā  Ā UTB!

I know it is in hindsight but those two great passes by Jones into Sporar had it been Watmore instead do you think one of them would have been converted?

14 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

I know it is in hindsight but those two great passes by Jones into Sporar had it been Watmore instead do you think one of them would have been converted?

Haha! Who knows...I think I was thinking about a couple of crosses Jones sent over where he passed it one way when he had another option. Anyway, it's a moot point, because the lad skinned their left back and then sent over a perfect ball for Crooks' winner.

5 hours ago, Barnaby said:

I wonder how many missed the second goal yesterday?

Ā 

My brother missed both and he is metal BORO. He was round my house sorting a few issues and we watched the game together. Ironically neither of us were impressed with the performance and we both stated CrookĀ should be replaced while I said he looked to have turned up after a night out at the top deck, scruffy bu gger. Possibly he is one of those that could make a Armani suit look like a mill sack. We also mumbled a few unpleasantly about Jones as well.Ā 
Unfortunately and unlike him he left early to pick up some shopping (vodka)Ā so as not to get caught up in the traffic as he lives close by to the stadium. Needles to say he was gutted he missed the goals but delighted we won.Ā 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
23 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

My brother missed both and he is metal BORO. He was round my house sorting a few issues and we watched the game together. Ironically neither of us were impressed with the performance and we both stated CrookĀ should be replaced while I said he looked to have turned up after a night out at the top deck, scruffy bu gger. Possibly he is one of those that could make a Armani suit look like a mill sack. We also mumbled a few unpleasantly about Jones as well.Ā 
Unfortunately and unlike him he left early to pick up some shopping (vodka)Ā so as not to get caught up in the traffic as he lives close by to the stadium. Needles to say he was gutted he missed the goals but delighted we won.Ā 

Sounds like me I was listening to the results and was gutted and went in the kitchen to make a cup of coffee came back and checked if we had dropped any places (I'm used to unexpected results) only to find we had won I was gob smacked I half expected a score correction to flash up...How many games is that now we've come back in injury time to winĀ 

40 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Sounds like me I was listening to the results and was gutted and went in the kitchen to make a cup of coffee came back and checked if we had dropped any places (I'm used to unexpected results) only to find we had won I was gob smacked I half expected a score correction to flash up...How many games is that now we've come back in injury time to winĀ 

Actually, threeĀ in a row šŸ˜

• Like 2

Left the ground with 2 added minutes left so missed the winner, my dad always said " I never leave before the final whistle takes a second to score a goal " that'll teach mešŸ˜„.

In the championship there's nearly always a team that comes with a good run during theĀ promotion race, it looks likeĀ its us, there's a buzz aroundĀ the Riverside that I haven't felt in a long time and its great.

• Like 1