Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Is the current mod team fit for purpose? (Official Cher Thread)


Recommended Posts

So, there's been discussion about this regarding the recent (temporary) banning of CT, but the topic became a bit wider with regards to other decisions the mod team have made recently and in the past.

I've just had a PM from a mod saying they hid my post calling out a member for defending a homophobic ex-mod as "somebody made an official complaint" but honestly, I can't help but feel they just didn't like it. 

I also feel that CT was unfairly treated and also personally wasn't happy at the accusation of my being racist about AFCON when that is far from the truth.

In short, what do we do about the moderation team? It seems the general consensus is that mods make decisions as a team and so is that team the best makeup for the forum? 

There are people listed as mods who either no longer post here or post so rarely that one wonders if they're even actually still part of the staff. 

Would it be worth resetting the mod team and actually electing the mods, as that seems to me the most democratic way forward? That way we'll be ruled by people we've actually chosen as a whole. If it worked for the general election (lol) and Brexit (even bigger lol) then surely it's good enough for us?

Just a thought.

(Free CT)

Edited by Denzel Zanzibar
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Evening all, I've had a read through all of this thread and the opinions mentioned. I'll do my best to summarise. If memory serves me right, the oneBoro Forum is approaching its 15th year… 15 yea

Nothing wrong with healthy debate on any topic including this one, just important for a few lads to remember that we're all on the same team. Not everyone is gonna agree on every subject and that's mo

This all seems a bit silly.

Posted Images

Oh God, don't start on elections. Then we'll have people voting for whichever mod shares their taste in managers/half-time beverages/djent bands/comedy shows. That bloody King Boro bloke will probably set up twenty ghost accounts using VPNs and upvote himself into the running.

Personally, I'd rather mods made decisions as a team than individually, since there's more chance of consensus and one person's bias being over-ruled. I do agree that there's been some inconsistency with moderation, especially during the Euros, and you're more likely to get away with anti-English sentiments on here than anti-anything-else sentiments. But mods are people with their own biases and perspectives just like the rest of us, so any moderator team is going to be imperfect. I can't see a better way than the current way.

If people have made complaints about CT's posts (and I didn't see what was said, only the reaction), I think the mods have to do something. At the same time, I'm sad to see CT kicked off the board because he's as good a reader of the game as anyone on here. I hope he comes back once his period of exile is served - if you're reading this, please don't be a martyr and sulk on the sidelines.

Finally, it's worth pointing out that intended humour can evaporate when it's written down. Something intended as wry or amusing, which would be delivered with an arched eyebrow or a self-deprecating shrug in person, could be interpreted very differently on-screen, especially by people on a different wavelength. Maybe CT's humour - which seems drier than a stale Jacob's cracker in a desert - suffers from that on here more than most.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I sense an imminent thread lock... 😁

I don't know the specifics of what DZ is on about, regarding ex-mods. Personally I've never thought he was a malicious type. More mischevious? I've never treated any of his more "controversial" comments as anything more than that.

I'm fairly certain CT got his ban more because he wouldn't stop going on about it, rather than his initial defence of DZ. If you're gonna keep giving the mods ammunition, they're going to use it eventually. 😉

Besides, his ban was only for a week. Its not like he was forever cast into the wilderness and forced to join FMTTM.

As I said before, every forum I've ever joined or created has been run on the same lines. They are the "property" of their creators, to run as they see fit. Honestly, I think the mods and admins here are easily among the better ones I've encountered. Obviously not everyone is going to agree with this, but I've seen far worse, believe me.

I'd say oneBoro is run pretty well and I would not be interested in electing anyone.

doctor who GIF

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Have you guys ever been part of forums before? This forum is very lightly moderated in the grand scheme of things.

You know I have, we talked about it before. It's not you I have an issue with to be fair, and I'd vote for you as mod without hesitation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

So, there's been discussion about this regarding the recent (temporary) banning of CT, but the topic became a bit wider with regards to other decisions the mod team have made recently and in the past.

I've just had a PM from a mod saying they hid my post calling out a member for defending a homophobic ex-mod as "somebody made an official complaint" but honestly, I can't help but feel they just didn't like it. 

I also feel that CT was unfairly treated and also personally wasn't happy at the accusation of my being racist about AFCON when that is far from the truth.

In short, what do we do about the moderation team? It seems the general consensus is that mods make decisions as a team and so is that team the best makeup for the forum? 

There are people listed as mods who either no longer post here or post so rarely that one wonders if they're even actually still part of the staff. 

Would it be worth resetting the mod team and actually electing the mods, as that seems to me the most democratic way forward? That way we'll be ruled by people we've actually chosen as a whole. If it worked for the general election (lol) and Brexit (even bigger lol) then surely it's good enough for us?

Just a thought.

(Free CT)

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47q39l2jrxza4n3g2wg5

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Oh God, don't start on elections. Then we'll have people voting for whichever mod shares their taste in managers/half-time beverages/djent bands/comedy shows. That bloody King Boro bloke will probably set up twenty ghost accounts using VPNs and upvote himself into the running.

Personally, I'd rather mods made decisions as a team than individually, since there's more chance of consensus and one person's bias being over-ruled. I do agree that there's been some inconsistency with moderation, especially during the Euros, and you're more likely to get away with anti-English sentiments on here than anti-anything-else sentiments. But mods are people with their own biases and perspectives just like the rest of us, so any moderator team is going to be imperfect. I can't see a better way than the current way.

If people have made complaints about CT's posts (and I didn't see what was said, only the reaction), I think the mods have to do something. At the same time, I'm sad to see CT kicked off the board because he's as good a reader of the game as anyone on here. I hope he comes back once his period of exile is served - if you're reading this, please don't be a martyr and sulk on the sidelines.

Finally, it's worth pointing out that intended humour can evaporate when it's written down. Something intended as wry or amusing, which would be delivered with an arched eyebrow or a self-deprecating shrug in person, could be interpreted very differently on-screen, especially by people on a different wavelength. Maybe CT's humour - which seems drier than a stale Jacob's cracker in a desert - suffers from that on here more than most.

They are still up, if you know where to look 👀

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two mods on my ignore list so i'd say some choices of mods are not great, however on the whole this place is moderated ok. I'd just let the place police itself a bit more which would probably help with the inconsistencies. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

You know I have, we talked about it before. It's not you I have an issue with to be fair, and I'd vote for you as mod without hesitation.

Ok pretty much aimed at me I think due to the "racist" accusation, which read again does not accuse you of that.

Have tried my best over the years DZ and attempted to bring new things to the forum with great assistance of others.

I believe the forum does pretty much police it'self to a greater degree but if you want to further this might I suggest you contact Rob with a considered and well thought out plan of how things should change I am sure he will consider what you are suggesting and if he agrees with it then a blanket removal of the admin team will result and that you would run the new forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never had an issue with the mods tbh... And feel this place is far better than most other football boards. Elections sound like a faff that will cause more trouble than they're worth.

Of the people in my time who've been banned...

Newy - deserved, was a total pain in the backside

AdamBoro/KingBoro - 100% deserved, was a nutjob

CT - bit harsh... But he wouldn't stop pressing buttons on a non-football issue. And he's only banned for one week. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

And fyi as pointed out there are members with Moderator status who are not active it was my intention to contact them and to find out whether or not they could carry on.

We are ok numbers wise but there are potentially 3 spots up for consideration which could have been out there on the forum for volunteers or suggestions from the forum. Not everyone wants to do this but seemingly we could have an additional seven or so to consider.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Denzel Zanzibar changed the title to Is the current mod team fit for purpose? (Official Cher Thread)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...