oneBoro Forum

Is the current mod team fit for purpose? (Official Cher Thread)

2 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Oh sure, I'm just saying that if you don't personally have that option then it's far easier and better for you to remove yourself from the situation (the ignore button is there for a reason people, use it if you need to!)

The ignore function isn't really fit for purpose unfortunately. It's still far too easy to have to read the posts of the members you have on your ignore list.

I'm sure humpty can attest to that 🙂

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Evening all, I've had a read through all of this thread and the opinions mentioned. I'll do my best to summarise. If memory serves me right, the oneBoro Forum is approaching its 15th year… 15 yea

Nothing wrong with healthy debate on any topic including this one, just important for a few lads to remember that we're all on the same team. Not everyone is gonna agree on every subject and that's mo

This all seems a bit silly.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Downsouth said:

It does seems as if we are being bullies, time to leave it alone I believe!

I'll leave it for now but don't lock the thread, other people may want to have their say, that's all I ask. 

Like I said if the general consensus is the mod team are absolutely fine and there's no problems and we as a community couldn't possibly be any better then fair enough.

• Like 1

As for my 2p on the broader subject of the mods I generally think they do a good job. It’s seems to generally be a light touch and despite this we haven’t descended into FMTTM or COB levels of shitness.

i think because I rarely notice who is and who isn’t a mod that it’s a good thing

• Like 7

Nothing wrong with healthy debate on any topic including this one, just important for a few lads to remember that we're all on the same team. Not everyone is gonna agree on every subject and that's more or less the whole point of a forum isn't it, to have reasoned discussion?

Also important to remember the benefits this place has, as the thread from Youngy228 the other day highlighted. There's a pretty good group on here for the most part and is miles better than any other forum I've posted on and it's the only one I've ever really stuck with over the years. 

• Like 13

I'll just say this, I've been a mod on other forums and it's a thankless task, I applaud the current mods as I know it's not an easy role. Oneboro is the best boro forum there is in my humble opinion, that's no coincidence, it's because of the way the community is run.

• Like 10
25 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Nobody has ever asked me to be part of the mod team, so I don't see how that's relevant. I'd do it as I'm on here often enough, often at anti-social times due to my work pattern) and I'd rule more than fairly, but I can't see many people being very happy with it.

Not that I want to get involved in this because I agree with JohnMFC81 but I think the reason behind this whole thread is above. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Out of curiosity, how do mods get chosen? Is it a collaborative decision by existing mods, or by Rob, or based on recommendations and suggestions by other forum members?

Pretty much as you describe we do not often have to up the numbers but when needed I throw the question out and then based on the responses get in touch with whom ever we are considering, Once accepted Rob will then approve. There are quite a few current members who I believe would be good moderators and some have waited a while.

There is a possibility that we will ask members to recommend as there are 3 current mods not active but at this time we do have sufficient to cope.

There were many times in the past when there was only one mod available and having a real hard time. NB4 comes to mind when he first became a mod because he really did need help which he eventually  got 

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, Brunners said:

The ignore function isn't really fit for purpose unfortunately. It's still far too easy to have to read the posts of the members you have on your ignore list.

I'm sure humpty can attest to that 🙂

Unless he see's it via another member .....like now!

There are all sorts of posters on here from fantasists to outright narcissists with everything in between. Some post very valuable information and some harmless garbage. I just sift through the interesting valuable posts from the ridiculous attention seeking ones. There are all sorts of people on here with all sorts of opinions from all sorts of backgrounds and we should never just assume who or what someone is, books and covers and all that. We also don't know their individual circumstances and what they may or may not be going through at any given time and I suspect some of the things said on here are because of other underlying issues.

Some irritate the bejabbers (intentionally topical) out of me and some entertain while indulging in my Boro excesses. It can at times be very difficult not to get drawn into feuds after someone has made an assumption which is taken personally or someone is on a deliberate wind up mission or twists and turns so much that you waste hours of your life duelling with semantics. Much better to just shake your head and walk away letting them have the last word because it literally isn't worth the bother any more because the original topic has long since been lost and therefore the "discussion" has become meaningless. I'm as guilty as anyone on here of this of and not letting go, I should probably heed my own advice more.

Sometimes the Mods themselves can get caught up in things and behave as bad as the rest of us but trying to moderate all of this and through all of this and all of us can't be easy. Indeed the Mods are the very ones who can in error push someones buttons by saying something that is inflammatory because of their own deeply held beliefs and moral compasses. I don't believe it is done out of a deliberate abuse of power, rather I think because of their Mod title it can be perceived as officialdom.

Trying to be both a player and a referee is a difficult task, finding the balance is nigh on impossible unless we have Mods that don't post and just sit as umpires. Under those circumstances I don't think anyone would want to do it. Mods are posters first and moderators second if they get 8/10 calls right then they are doing a good job and for what it's worth I do think they get 8/10 thing right in most instances.

Accusing people of something because of how you interpret a post needs very careful impartial thought however it would be a lot better if beforehand people considered their posts and chosen words. Remember the Sender is responsible for the effective communication of the message not the Receiver. For our part it would help everyone on here if we simply held back from making comments which we know to be unacceptable. There is simply never a defence from blatant attention seeking harmful posts from any of us. It damages the forum, the camaraderie and the fun of oneboro along with its credibility which is something we all should jointly protect.

• Like 10

I’ve debated commenting on this thread as I don’t want it to sound like I’m siding with anyone but feel it is important to reiterate how I find this forum to be a great support for me and an escape when I need it.  I feel I have connected with some great people and for that I am grateful. There has been a bit of negativity around this issue but its important to remember that on the whole this forum works fantastically well.

I personally don’t have a problem reading people’s opinions and thoughts whether 100% rooted in ITK info or made up nonsense.  No names mentioned! I haven’t had to use the ignore feature and don’t think i will but there must be a line that people can’t cross and if they do then there do need to be mods who can deal with this.  If members are given warnings which they ignore then there are times that people need a cooling off period.  I’m not saying CT should or should not have been banned because I didn’t  follow that part of the thread very closely so wouldn’t be fair of me to comment.  

I do think though that the task of mod is not an easy one and appreciate that their decisions will not always please everyone but in my opinion they have engaged with members to explain their reasons which is very reasonable of them to do.  

• Like 5

Sometimes I have typed stuff and before posting it, read it back to myself and heard the voice of Robert Mortimer (formerly of this parish) saying "No need, man ..  just let it lie". For various reasons sometimes you can and other times you can't.  Agree with RR, mods get it right most of the time and rarely take action in haste, usually giving people the chance to provide enough rope to hang themselves with. Group decisions mean that if one gets too emotionally involved that this is recognised by other mods and probably pointed out, so I think any decision is likely to have been thought about rather than knee-jerk, so as far as I am concerned, it ain't broke, so no need to fix it. 🙂      

• Like 5
  • Denzel Zanzibar changed the title to Is the current mod team fit for purpose? (Official Cher Thread)