oneBoro Forum

Is the current mod team fit for purpose? (Official Cher Thread)

22 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

Can moderators actively moderate when they have so many people on their ignore list? Not a dig at anyone, just genuinely curious...

Most do not use the ignore list simply glance over😀

Only kidding BS

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Evening all, I've had a read through all of this thread and the opinions mentioned. I'll do my best to summarise. If memory serves me right, the oneBoro Forum is approaching its 15th year… 15 yea

Nothing wrong with healthy debate on any topic including this one, just important for a few lads to remember that we're all on the same team. Not everyone is gonna agree on every subject and that's mo

This all seems a bit silly.

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

Can moderators actively moderate when they have so many people on their ignore list? Not a dig at anyone, just genuinely curious...

I think Wilson might be the only one to have someone on ignore and trust me, it's for the best.

39 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Lots of posts CT, making up for lost time? 

He's never quite figured out the multi quote function, unfortunately.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, BearSmog said:

I have one active member on my ignore list at this point and that's CT. When I took on the MSF role, I reduced that down to only ignore posts and not DMs to make sure CT could still contact me privately with suggestions.

The only thing it really affects is whether me and CT directly communicate on the forum and that's for the benefit of everyone involved.

If someone reports something he says or if another mod brings something to everyone's attention, I'll still see it. But at the same time, I don't think it's particularly great that I would make any kind of decisive action with regards to what he does anyway. I trust myself to remain impartial in those situations but I could see why others would be sceptical.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of something I did at school once. I hadn’t done my English essay homework, so the teacher made me stay in on break/lunch till I had completed it. I obviously wasn’t impressed, so I wrote my essay about being stuck in a classroom with the most boring teacher ever. It was s terrific bit of writing and I was so pleased with myself, I showed it to everyone in class to show how clever I was. When really I was just being a d**k, cos the teacher made me stay in over break/lunch to do some poxy homework. I didn’t like the decision so created a clever little story to get my own back and try and shame the teacher. Although, to be fair, at least I had the good grace not to tell him to not take it personally, when it clearly was personal 😁. I barely notice the mods, in fact, before reading this thread, I couldn’t have even told you who half of them were. It never even crossed my mind that we would get a say in who the mods are. Just like I don’t expect to get a say in who the Boro coaching staff are. I would’ve thought that the people who run the forum decide who moderates it and similar to a business, If people don’t like the way the forum is run, then they have the right to withdraw their custom and take it elsewhere. If management start seeing figures drop, then they take whatever action they feel appropriate to resolve the situation. Jesus, if we started voting on who we want to be in charge of us, we’ll end up with BoJo in charge, then the place really will fall apart. As for the mods being a dictatorship: The fact this thread even exists and is still up for people to comment on, kinda poo pooh’s that theory. There’s no way I would’ve allowed this if I was a mod and it was about me 🤣🤣🤣. I can’t believe I’m actually even defending people in ‘authority’, I don’t even know any of them. Ha ha. I just thought this whole thread was a bit unnecessary and felt more like airing your dirty linen in public. Clearly, winning every game and doing blooming good early business in the transfer window, has left some people with too much time on their hands and not enough to whinge about 😁😉

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, El1986 said:

This thread reminds me of something I did at school once. I hadn’t done my English essay homework, so the teacher made me stay in on break/lunch till I had completed it. I obviously wasn’t impressed, so I wrote my essay about being stuck in a classroom with the most boring teacher ever. It was s terrific bit of writing and I was so pleased with myself, I showed it to everyone in class to show how clever I was. When really I was just being a d**k, cos the teacher made me stay in over break/lunch to do some poxy homework. I didn’t like the decision so created a clever little story to get my own back and try and shame the teacher. Although, to be fair, at least I had the good grace not to tell him to not take it personally, when it clearly was personal 😁. I barely notice the mods, in fact, before reading this thread, I couldn’t have even told you who half of them were. It never even crossed my mind that we would get a say in who the mods are. Just like I don’t expect to get a say in who the Boro coaching staff are. I would’ve thought that the people who run the forum decide who moderates it and similar to a business, If people don’t like the way the forum is run, then they have the right to withdraw their custom and take it elsewhere. If management start seeing figures drop, then they take whatever action they feel appropriate to resolve the situation. Jesus, if we started voting on who we want to be in charge of us, we’ll end up with BoJo in charge, then the place really will fall apart. As for the mods being a dictatorship: The fact this thread even exists and is still up for people to comment on, kinda poo pooh’s that theory. There’s no way I would’ve allowed this if I was a mod and it was about me 🤣🤣🤣. I can’t believe I’m actually even defending people in ‘authority’, I don’t even know any of them. Ha ha. I just thought this whole thread was a bit unnecessary and felt more like airing your dirty linen in public. Clearly, winning every game and doing blooming good early business in the transfer window, has left some people with too much time on their hands and not enough to whinge about 😁😉

Pretty much echoes my sentiments.

Friendly tip: walls of text are easier to read when broken up into paragraphs. 😉

I would normally encourage anyone to question those in authority and hold them to account, but I think this forum is one of the few places that can be excluded from that.

As I said before, every forum I've ever been a member of has been run the same way. I genuinely believe that being allowed to vote for mods would actually cause more problems than it solves. Certainly has the potential to make the forum a more toxic and divided community.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Naisby said:

@AnglianRedI quite like a whole big block of text to read, breaking it up in to smaller chunks just makes it look bigger and messy. 😅

See? We're making this community more toxic and divided already! 😁

#ParagraphLivesMatter

• Haha 3
Just now, AnglianRed said:

See? We're making this community more toxic and divided already! 😁

#ParagraphLivesMatter

🎶 Grammar.... what is it good for.... absolutely nothing say it again...

• Haha 1
On 1/14/2022 at 4:23 PM, wilsoncgp said:

If CT was made a mod, do I get to mention how he's on my ignore list and have a dig about that at every opportunity? Nobody seems to care about that despite the reason having played out on this forum quite publicly over the last 4-5 years. It certainly doesn't affect their character judgement of him.

On a personal level, I saw 2 threads yesterday populated by similar people. One rightly celebrating the mental health victory of one of our members and another justifying a member who has made some people's mental health worse.

15 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

You've pretty much entirely misinterpreted what I said but I shall clarify.

I said the reason you're on my ignore list has played out over the last 4-5 years.

At no point did I say you mentioning me ignoring you affected my mental health though, I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion.

I came to that conclusion because you mentioned it yourself as I've highlighted above.  Are you saying that you brought it up for no actual reason at all?  

I had no idea, and still don't, what the 4-5 years thing is about.  We were PMing less than 2 years ago, and we were chatting on the forums more recently than that.  I have no idea how long you have had me on ignore but it's nothing like 4-5 years.

I also said that people who were celebrating one member's mental health victory actively supported a member, you, who made others' worse. That wasn't just talking about myself, in fact the main focus wasn't intended to be me with that statement, I was mostly intending to refer to members affected by the comments that you made and for which you were ultimately banned for the past week.

And yet you mentioned yourself first.

As to the rest, who and how?  Seriously, I would like to know.  Which of my comments last week adversely affected people's mental health?  Who were the people?  How did the comments do this?  If you're going to make a public accusation, same goes for the other mods, then at least be specific about it. 

The stuff I apparently got banned for was the cracks about the Irish yeah?  When I read an anti English comment on here my mental health isn't damaged, why would it be?  I don't believe I'm any more thick skinned than anyone else either.  You must have read the same anti English stuff at times, did it affect your mental health?  Somebody Irish I guess didn't like my crack about the Irish.  Fair enough.  Did they complain previously about the cracks about the English?  I'm gonna guess that they didn't so we have double standards again.  It's not xenophobic comments that are the issue, it's really just who they are directed at.  That's the bit I have a problem with.  Me getting done for it is fair enough if everyone gets done for it but they don't, and lots of people on the forum are well aware of this.

It's good for me because when you don't want to take an ounce of responsibility for those things, I don't have to give a toss any more when it relates to me. I think the way you come across as a result of those kind of situations is pretty narcissistic but as per before all this kicking off, I'm quite happy keeping this relatively effective boundary between the two of us. It's certainly for the benefit of me and given how things have played out publicly in the past, it would seem to be for the benefit of everyone else too.

I don't know what I'm supposed to take responsibility for mate, that's the problem.  You don't like some things I've posted on here so you have me on ignore.  Ok but so what?  That's your decision, and that's your issue, not mine.  Why do I have to tiptoe around because of it?  More and more we're living in a society where if people don't like something they try and erase it from existence.  That cancel culture thing is part of it.  I've never felt uneasy about being challenged about things, and if that is where we differ then I truly am sorry whatever you may think of me, it's not an intentional thing on my part but if something doesn't bother me then I assume it won't bother other people either. 

I think we tend to believe people think in the same way that we do, not in terms of the same opinions, but in the same thought processes, because these are the only thought processes we have.  So anti English cracks don't bother me = anti Irish/Danish cracks won't bother the people on here.  People making little jokes at my expense on here doesn't bother me = it won't bother people if I do the same to them.  None of it is meant to be taken seriously though.  If it's about posting style, which has been mentioned before, then I don't apologise for that.  That's just who I am, and whilst I'm a million miles from being perfect, I've long since accepted that about myself.  I'm not sure I should be apologetic if people don't want to to accept that about me as that's up to them at the end of the day.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think we tend to believe people think in the same way that we do, not in terms of the same opinions, but in the same thought processes, because these are the only thought processes we have.  So anti English cracks don't bother me = anti Irish/Danish cracks won't bother the people on here.  People making little jokes at my expense on here doesn't bother me = it won't bother people if I do the same to them.

Now you know that to not be true, you can think before you make posts 🙂

We've explained the anti Irish / anti English stuff while you were gone, so we're not going to open that up again.

As to who you've affected with your comments, it's not really for us to say. If they want to make themselves known, they can, all you need to know is more than one person has a problem with some of the personal stuff you say.

10 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Now you know that to not be true, you can think before you make posts 🙂

We've explained the anti Irish / anti English stuff while you were gone, so we're not going to open that up again.

As to who you've affected with your comments, it's not really for us to say. If they want to make themselves known, they can, all you need to know is more than one person has a problem with some of the personal stuff you say.

What isn't true?

You didn't really explain anything.  You claimed that the people responsible had apologised, which is news to a some of us who must have missed the apologies somehow 🤷‍♂️ Handy though, certainly.