oneBoro Forum

Is the current mod team fit for purpose? (Official Cher Thread)

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Evening all, I've had a read through all of this thread and the opinions mentioned. I'll do my best to summarise. If memory serves me right, the oneBoro Forum is approaching its 15th year… 15 yea

Nothing wrong with healthy debate on any topic including this one, just important for a few lads to remember that we're all on the same team. Not everyone is gonna agree on every subject and that's mo

This all seems a bit silly.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

There are all sorts of posters on here from fantasists to outright narcissists with everything in between. Some post very valuable information and some harmless garbage. I just sift through the interesting valuable posts from the ridiculous attention seeking ones. There are all sorts of people on here with all sorts of opinions from all sorts of backgrounds and we should never just assume who or what someone is, books and covers and all that. We also don't know their individual circumstances and what they may or may not be going through at any given time and I suspect some of the things said on here are because of other underlying issues.

Some irritate the bejabbers (intentionally topical) out of me and some entertain while indulging in my Boro excesses. It can at times be very difficult not to get drawn into feuds after someone has made an assumption which is taken personally or someone is on a deliberate wind up mission or twists and turns so much that you waste hours of your life duelling with semantics. Much better to just shake your head and walk away letting them have the last word because it literally isn't worth the bother any more because the original topic has long since been lost and therefore the "discussion" has become meaningless. I'm as guilty as anyone on here of this of and not letting go, I should probably heed my own advice more.

Sometimes the Mods themselves can get caught up in things and behave as bad as the rest of us but trying to moderate all of this and through all of this and all of us can't be easy. Indeed the Mods are the very ones who can in error push someones buttons by saying something that is inflammatory because of their own deeply held beliefs and moral compasses. I don't believe it is done out of a deliberate abuse of power, rather I think because of their Mod title it can be perceived as officialdom.

Trying to be both a player and a referee is a difficult task, finding the balance is nigh on impossible unless we have Mods that don't post and just sit as umpires. Under those circumstances I don't think anyone would want to do it. Mods are posters first and moderators second if they get 8/10 calls right then they are doing a good job and for what it's worth I do think they get 8/10 thing right in most instances.

Accusing people of something because of how you interpret a post needs very careful impartial thought however it would be a lot better if beforehand people considered their posts and chosen words. Remember the Sender is responsible for the effective communication of the message not the Receiver. For our part it would help everyone on here if we simply held back from making comments which we know to be unacceptable. There is simply never a defence from blatant attention seeking harmful posts from any of us. It damages the forum, the camaraderie and the fun of oneboro along with its credibility which is something we all should jointly protect.

Mod in waiting 👆🏻

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Payero said:

@Robin Johnson why are you gobbing off on FMTTM about changing times or vickers as you like to call him, not on that especially using someones real name.

You don't seem to add a lot to the forum do you?

Going to keep my eye on you just a feeling you have been here before under a different guise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can't really comment on whether @Changing Timesban was fair/justified as I haven't seen the original set of comments. Think the mods by and large get it right (when they do have to take action) and as others have said it's a thankless task.

But at times (especially with written word) it's easy to misinterpret how comments are intended to come across. 

I still reckon a big Oneboro scrap in some car park (with beers after) will help bridge the gap between posters and the actual humans(robots) behind them.

Hope after the week ban that he comes back as he's one of a strong group we have here of good posters.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Can't really comment on whether @Changing Timesban was fair/justified as I haven't seen the original set of comments. Think the mods by and large get it right (when they do have to take action) and as others have said it's a thankless task.

But at times (especially with written word) it's easy to misinterpret how comments are intended to come across. 

I still reckon a big Oneboro scrap in some car park (with beers after) will help bridge the gap between posters and the actual humans(robots) behind them.

Hope after the week ban that he comes back as he's one of a strong group we have here of good posters.

Pallister Park near the statue lol!

More concerned about Young228 atm

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Birdie said:

Does he actually drink any of that? 

Despite his tough persona, Steve Austin isn't actually that much of a beer drinker. He used to use either Bud Light or Miller Lite, and after smashing the cans together (often losing at least half of each can) he'd deliberately yell while pouring them into his mouth so that he'd spit most of it back out.

When him and The Rock used to do the "drink beer with Stone Cold, get stunned" spot at house shows or on dark matches after TV events, they used to drink the beers properly, sometimes with outstretched pinky fingers.

Edited by Denzel Zanzibar
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

I was just wondering if mods could make the like button available for your own posts. I feel I would have 1000s more likes if this was the case.

What was that Rioja was saying about narcissists? 😂

well having read through the whole thread i must admit it has been eye opening, and suprisingly fascinating given that my initial reaction was....not another un needed whinge fest. im sure (given the initiator of it) the thread was originally intended as  a devious debate set up and in a way it suceeded but it also spurned quite a few thought provoking comments and suggesrtions, it threw up the issue of mod selection and some interesting ideas on that but mostly and most sadly  Downsouth , the senior moderator haas been sucked into a personal war with DZ which neither came out untarnished. its sad that DS has been undermined and pushed into this corner because on the whole he seems a good guy with best intentions at heart . on the issue of mod choosing im generally fine with the way the site is ran and happy with its moderating but i dont like the way a new mod appointment is simply thrust upon us and im keen to be told how the initial shortlist is decided. theres a couple of mod choices i dont agree with and never have done ,maybe this is the point where we could have some sort of say on things . there are some fantastic posters on here that imo would be excellent moderators , RR as suggested, Anglian Red and PMards spring to mind.  CT could be a great moderator but hes apparently not interested so thats put to bed, DZ, well it seems he has one secure vote already(his own)but its laughable that given his past histrionics and behaviour he should even be considered.  finanally i must eat a bit of humble pie and accept it was probably correct to remove CT temporarily from the forum ,ill miss his wit and incisive accounts of things but he DID ,as on many previous occasions , refuse to toe the line .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Essuuaitch

When there is need for a new mod the team all draw up a shortlist of posters that we think are a good fit for the position. We then have a good debate about it and in the end we contact the person to hear if they are interested. 
When that person has agreed we take it to Rob, the site owner who has final aprovement. 
I don’t think it would be fair to hold a popularity contest and I’m also afraid that it’s going to cause another thread like this every time. 

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Borodane said:

@Essuuaitch

When there is need for a new mod the team all draw up a shortlist of posters that we think are a good fit for the position. We then have a good debate about it and in the end we contact the person to hear if they are interested. 
When that person has agreed we take it to Rob, the site owner who has final aprovement. 
I don’t think it would be fair to hold a popularity contest and I’m also afraid that it’s going to cause another thread like this every time. 

Isn't this just a popularity contest with fewer judges?

• Like 2
  • Denzel Zanzibar changed the title to Is the current mod team fit for purpose? (Official Cher Thread)