oneBoro Forum

Is the current mod team fit for purpose? (Official Cher Thread)

thanks for taking the time to explain,Borodane but it doesnt exactly adress my concerns. im more skeptical of who is considered on the shortlist and how and why theyre there. 

btw you are not one of the mods i disargee with and im sorry you felt the need to offer to step down over this.

• Like 1
  • Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Evening all, I've had a read through all of this thread and the opinions mentioned. I'll do my best to summarise. If memory serves me right, the oneBoro Forum is approaching its 15th year… 15 yea

Nothing wrong with healthy debate on any topic including this one, just important for a few lads to remember that we're all on the same team. Not everyone is gonna agree on every subject and that's mo

This all seems a bit silly.

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

Isn't this just a popularity contest with fewer judges?

It’s not a public one though. Making it public just seems wrong. To a degree it’ll always be some sort of contest, but we aren’t necessarily looking for someone popular but rather someone with balanced views and a respectful tone towards others. And someone who frequents the site often. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Borodane said:

It’s not a public one though. Making it public just seems wrong. To a degree it’ll always be some sort of contest, but we aren’t necessarily looking for someone popular but rather someone with balanced views and a respectful tone towards others. And someone who frequents the site often. 

I completely understand that, I just think that when things are discussed privately you lose a lot of transparency and the process is open to be doubted/attacked.

44 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

I completely understand that, I just think that when things are discussed privately you lose a lot of transparency and the process is open to be doubted/attacked.

As already mentioned there is a chance that we may need to replace non active moderators although highly unlikely at this time but I am willing to open it up to the forum at the right time for suggestions and tbh I would imagine those suggested would already be being considered by the team anyway.

Incidentally I know Rob will be visiting the forum later on and pretty sure he will air his views and opinions on the subject in hand.

@oneboro

Something from yourself I think would be welcomed by various forum members, thanks Rob.

2 hours ago, BearSmog said:

Honestly I don't feel transparency is necessary.

By opening the process up to debate and input from everyone, you are in effect making it a popularity contest...which could lead to a certain amount of toxic behaviour if it looks like peoples' preferred candidate isn't going to get the job.

I for one wouldn't like to see moderator selection reduced to the circus of a general election. A bit over dramatised maybe, but you get my point, I hope.

By keeping it private and not subject to external influence I genuinely believe we get better people in place, if not necessarily more popular ones.

Given who we have on the "staff" at the moment, I'm certainly happy to let them handle the process. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BearSmog said:

I've not always got on with all the mods on this site, I've not always agreed with decisions made. And I appreciate this perhaps means less given the position now held (but I have been an active member for many years now, which is the experience I'm drawing on here) but I always tried to take a grander view of the situation, does the forum by and large run well.

Which it does. And if it didn't, all the people who complain about mod selection wouldn't be here to complain about it to begin with, they'd be elsewhere. The only argument against that thought process I can think of is maybe we're just the best of a bad bunch, that no site really handles itself well to a given member but even then, I'd say forum moderation is done everywhere by people who take up their own free time to keep the place going as smoothly as possible and if we're the best of a bad bunch then we must be doing something right in our mod appointments.

Also, people put forward names who they think will handle the site better in these times but what if they're not willing because actually they just want to talk about the Boro? What if they don't have the time to spare even if they'd like to?

I believe one of the main reasons me and Brunners probably got picked out is because we are so active on the site but when the big calls need to be made, we're drawing on the experience and characters of our fellow mods and from what I've seen so far as a member of this team, pretty much always taking the lenient approach. We can be a bit firey at times as individuals, I appreciate that but we're not making big decisions by ourselves or we'd not still be in this position.

I'd also say that availability is a big reason as to why I'm managing the MSF side of things, again in my free time for the benefit of the rest of the forum and I think that side is going quite well at the moment. With the greatest of respects to Jen she wasn't able to make herself available for it and I'm sure she'd have kept it going just as well if not better than I can if she was there to do it. But then plenty of people also disagreed with that decision too because they don't like me. So is a popularity contest the right way to manage this?

• Like 2

I think the problem is that the site is split into 3 factions, you got the 90% that get on with things and the other 10% are made up of Mods and Rockers who grudgingly rub along together most of the time, but are just waiting for a verbal rumble when one comes along. 😁

27 minutes ago, Naisby said:

I think the problem is that the site is split into 3 factions, you got the 90% that get on with things and the other 10% are made up of Mods and Rockers who grudgingly rub along together most of the time, but are just waiting for a verbal rumble when one comes along. 😁

Excuse Me What GIF by Adopt Me!

Just taking the moderator situation to one side I would like to offer a rationale.

For me, this site is by far and away the best site for Boro conversation, news and informed opinion.

It has an abundance of eloquent posters who can debate(usually) in a way totally different to other Boro sites. 

This has to be commended. I for one am sorry to see a number of comments on this thread.

Lads( and lasses) don’t lose what we have here. It generally shows more maturity, more authority, a willingness to debate that is clearly head and shoulders above other Boro sites. UTB

• Like 7

I think the forum is run pretty well, although a weeks ban for CT seems harsh and also pointless  he is close to the mark but that's just him and I think the forum is all the better for having members like CT in it.

There is others though that really should sod off, although I won't disclose who

9 minutes ago, Payero said:

You should apologise for naming changing times on another forum you cowardly cuck

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to ban you, you really are a strange troll and btw no one seems to like you at all

• Like 2
Just now, Downsouth said:

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to ban you, you really are a strange troll and btw no one seems to like you at all

Actually I like him @Downsouth. Here’s how I see it. The forum is like an episode of Only Fools and Horses. When they are all in the Nags Head and Trigger walks in, you just know that there is going to be a piece of comedic genius about to unfold in a really ridiculous way. I see Payero as Trigger. Pure comedy gold. Don’t ban him

3 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Actually I like him @Downsouth. Here’s how I see it. The forum is like an episode of Only Fools and Horses. When they are all in the Nags Head and Trigger walks in, you just know that there is going to be a piece of comedic genius about to unfold in a really ridiculous way. I see Payero as Trigger. Pure comedy gold. Don’t ban him

I know not to your liking Joe but I did not ban him I deleted him instead.

With what you have mentioned I am going to reassess my position on here because seemingly I am in the wrong everytime thought you would have supported this action but hey guess not

3 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

I know not to your liking Joe but I did not ban him I deleted him instead.

With what you have mentioned I am going to reassess my position on here because seemingly I am in the wrong everytime thought you would have supported this action but hey guess not

I am not against you in any way at all Alan. I thought I would just try and lighten the atmosphere with what has happened over the last few days. I did find Payero amusing but fully accept that not everyone would. You and the entire mod team have my full support 

• Like 1
  • Denzel Zanzibar changed the title to Is the current mod team fit for purpose? (Official Cher Thread)