oneBoro Forum

Trivia Question

What was unusual about Boro's match at Manchester City 41 years ago tomorrow (17 January 1981) and what happened to David Hodgson during the match that didn't happen again in the Football League until 6 years later?

I know what you mean - I thought at first that I'd got my maths wrong with the 41 years.

Hodgson was indeed sent off together with City's Nicky Reid. This was the final day before red and yellow cards were abolished in the Football League because the League had decided that referees brandishing red and yellow cards wound up spectators. Hodgson and Reid therefore became the last players to be red carded in the League for six years, until FIFA forced the League to reintroduce them.

The match was also notable because Boro played in Manchester United shirts (complete with United badges). This was back in the days when teams were not allowed to wear shirts with sponsors' logos in televised matches. The match wasn't scheduled to be televised but Granada switched their cameras to it at the last minute after the game at Bolton that they intended to cover was postponed, meaning that Boro couldn't wear the Datsun Cleveland sponsored shirts they'd travelled with. They therefore borrowed a set of shirts from Old Trafford to allow the game to be shown on TV.

• Like 2

Ah, Datsun. There's a brand I haven't heard mentioned for a long time. My dad had a Datsun just before I was born, but chopped it in for a Skoda, so my first automotive journeys were taken in a green Skoda 120. Nothing like travelling in style.