oneBoro Forum

Ugo Ehiogu Memorial

1 minute ago, Will said:

That was my thinking, and it starts a buzz and personality about the club before you get to the ground itself. Obviously the main stumbling block would be the company who own it.

Yeah exactly. I love the Ali Brownlee tribute on the bridge. 

Other people that I think would be fitting on the wall would be people like Jack Charlton, Brian Clough etc. Great men but who arent quite on the Hardwick/Mannion statute level 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this would be the perfect photo to use for Ugo.

Following discussions with the supporters forum, there seems to be a bit of traction with regards to creating a memorial of sorts for big Ugo. The initial suggestion was for a mural of some sort

This one?

Posted Images

Well done Humpty for bringing this up wonderful idea and opens up so many others that we associate with MFC that were well respected, could imagine a collage of images as you walk to the ground, mind you a long wall would be needed and one which we all know would be vandalised every opportunity.

Only surfaces probably beyond damage would be the stadium facia and MFC would need to be behind that and some pretty decent artists commissioned to do the job.

You would need a picture of Ali Brownlee commentating that's for sure

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Well done Humpty for bringing this up wonderful idea and opens up so many others that we associate with MFC that were well respected, could imagine a collage of images as you walk to the ground, mind you a long wall would be needed and one which we all know would be vandalised every opportunity.

Only surfaces probably beyond damage would be the stadium facia and MFC would need to be behind that and some pretty decent artists commissioned to do the job.

Yeah, the problem with that walk down from the train tracks is that its always covered in graffiti. Think the club would have to keep the memorials closer to home. 

Love the idea of an Ali mural shouting down his mic. 

30 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

Yeah, the problem with that walk down from the train tracks is that its always covered in graffiti. Think the club would have to keep the memorials closer to home. 

Love the idea of an Ali mural shouting down his mic. 

Ali has a banner up at the back of the west stand above his old commentating position I believe.

4 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Rename the North Stand the "Ugo Ehiogu Memorial Stand"

Not a fan of naming stands after folk, worthy or not. Time is a terrible thing and you often find that the ..... memorial stand becomes the ..... Stand either through needing money or the new generation don’t remember the name and why the stand called that.

im of an age where there are plenty of names worthy to be put up on stands, yet if you put it to a poll the younger fans wouldn’t even know them or why they were on the poll. 

A separate memorial space where every name and every memory is equal and special is better imo. But something like that is needed though as Wilf and George deserve statues, Harold deserves a bridge, but I’d like to think everyone deserved an area where they were all equal and just part of the Boro Family.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Ali has a banner up at the back of the west stand above his old commentating position I believe.

That's behind me though. I want something *I* can see 😛

Plus I think he deserves more than a banner and a few words (good as they are) on a bridge. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Great idea. Somewhere near or on the stadium itself would be great so away supporters can also appreciate the memorial

There are some great pictures of Ugo in a boro shirt as well. The one with him and Southgate both holding the carling cup aloft is one that has stuck me since the day it happened.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

You would like to think people are less likely to deface a mural if it is Boro related and a memorial but then you wouldnt have thought people would deface the Marcus Rashford one so...

• Like 2

This is a brilliant idea.  I'm not sure where it should be but I think the actual picture of Ugo that you use should be one where he's holding the Carling Cup, for a few reasons: it was the high point of his time with us; we probably wouldn't have won the game if it wasn't for his blocks/saves 😁; and simply because he was a part of the first team ever to win something with us, it guarantees him immortality.

• Like 4

To be honest I'm not a big fan of murals...they always remind me of Northern Ireland (sinister figures in balaclavas, holding AK47s), or derelict industrial areas.

That said I'm all in favour of a memorial of some sort. If it were up to me, I'd go with a decent poster-sized photo, or some specially commissioned artwork, with a plaque underneath. Maybe a notice board or something next to it, where fans could pin messages / tributes of their own.

If the club intends to do this for other former players, I'd look to either set aside a room inside the stadium, or maybe a plot of land somewhere around the ground, as a room / area / garden of remembrance.

1 hour ago, Naisby said:

Not a fan of naming stands after folk, worthy or not. Time is a terrible thing and you often find that the ..... memorial stand becomes the ..... Stand either through needing money or the new generation don’t remember the name and why the stand called that.

im of an age where there are plenty of names worthy to be put up on stands, yet if you put it to a poll the younger fans wouldn’t even know them or why they were on the poll. 

A separate memorial space where every name and every memory is equal and special is better imo. But something like that is needed though as Wilf and George deserve statues, Harold deserves a bridge, but I’d like to think everyone deserved an area where they were all equal and just part of the Boro Family.

Totally with you there. As you say there are plenty of names associated with the club that are worthy of remembering. Definitely enough to fill a decent-size room or outdoor space.

I'd love to see the club get behind this and do it properly, rather than just a single mural that may, or may not be added to. Or we could go American and have the Middlesbrough FC Hall of Fame.

51 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

That's behind me though. I want something *I* can see 😛

Plus I think he deserves more than a banner and a few words (good as they are) on a bridge. 

I would love to see the Riverside with an Alistair Brownlee stand, or hospitality suite. Think he deserves that much.

34 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

You would like to think people are less likely to deface a mural if it is Boro related and a memorial but then you wouldnt have thought people would deface the Marcus Rashford one so...

That is my biggest concern about going with a mural. Although pretty much any space that is open to the public can be vandalised, murals seem to be easier targets than most...particularly for fans of rival clubs.

22 minutes ago, Hendrie_7 said:

This is a brilliant idea.  I'm not sure where it should be but I think the actual picture of Ugo that you use should be one where he's holding the Carling Cup, for a few reasons: it was the high point of his time with us; we probably wouldn't have won the game if it wasn't for his blocks/saves 😁; and simply because he was a part of the first team ever to win something with us, it guarantees him immortality.

This one?

PAY-MAIN-Soccer-Carling-Cup-Final-Middlesbrough-v-Bolton-Wanderers.jpg

• Thanks 4