oneBoro Forum

Blackburn v Middlesbrough 1-0

6 minutes ago, Humpty said:

There's no doubting he's got talent but if you shoehorn him into the team you lose a bit of balance. Tough for Payero.

I don't think you'd have to shoehorn him in. No reason he can't take Howsons spot. Hell you could even give Tav a run in the middle with Payero going where Tav is. 

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Negativity on here is terrible. Playing 2nd place in the division away from home. A tough stop start game. Missed a couple of really good chances which on another day could have won us the game. They

We've missed some golden late chances and not been at our best - but why there is so much negativity on here is beyond me. We're on a great run and playing an away fixture against an extremely tough s

Disappointing result and performance, but nights like last night are standard in the Championship - even for promotion candidates. Even during our promotion under Karanka we had many of these types of

Posted Images

Going to put this in the bad day at the office category stupid error lost us the game should have been a draw as neither side were good.

How we face and the result we achieve against Coventry is the most important aspect.

Number of games being played tonight so we do need to recover quickly 

26 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

Difficult to disagree with much that Humpty has said but I do think the last time we went up we had Leadbitter.

His like is not in this team.  I always remember his attack on Barton at Burnley.  Barton looked - nothing much said.  It was a "are we playing or are we fighting ?" discussion without the words

Add his tactical naus and "backbone" and will to win.  He's not with us anymore nor do we have an adequate replacement.  It should be Howson of maybe McNair.

When its not going well maybe its get Sol on and move McNair into the midfield.  Sol has some of  Leadbitters qualities but not his athleticism any longer.

Maybe Wilder has to rectify this mental toughness/ leader/will to win "gap".  Once one leads others will follow

Good points Rish. Imagine implanting Leadbitter into this team!

5 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

I don't think you'd have to shoehorn him in. No reason he can't take Howsons spot. Hell you could even give Tav a run in the middle with Payero going where Tav is. 

Wilder/Knill like to have right footers on the right and left footers on the left, so i don't see him coming in for Tav. I'm not sure i trust Payero to be as tactically aware as is needed to play in Howson's role. He might get there eventually but he's still getting to grips with English football and it's a critical role. Howson has done well under Wilder on the balance of things. As i said earlier, i don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bath water. We just need to make a few minor tweaks.

• Like 3

I'd try Tav at LWB with Payero in Tav's role cutting in on his right foot. I'd then play Balogun as one of the two Strikers in front of them. I reckon that trio would liven up our flaccid left side and get the blood pumping again. 

Tav has ability but it's just not happening for him. He is left footed, has a great engine, isn't afraid to get a tackle in or take a man on but he has struggled to convince in a series of roles and positions. To me LWB is the obvious role for him to excel in and to nail down as it suits his skill set.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I'd try Tav at LWB with Payero in Tav's role cutting in on his right foot. I'd then play Balogun as one of the two Strikers in front of them. I reckon that trio would liven up our flaccid left side and get the blood pumping again. 

Tav has ability but it's just not happening for him. He is left footed, has a great engine, isn't afraid to get a tackle in or take a man on but he has struggled to convince in a series of roles and positions. To me LWB is the obvious role for him to excel in and to nail down as it suits his skill set.

He could learn a few wingback specials from James too, if he knew he would be playing in that position a lot

• Like 1

I don't get to see many matches so I may be way off but that first half performance was a disappointment to me and not only bordered on unprofessionalism but ran straight into it with those bookings.

Against a weakened opposition I had hoped for better and despite a better second half the match as a whole tells me Boro have some way to go and need to be better disciplined and need a more cutting edge. They may well make the playoffs but I think that says more about the quality of the league than Boro's readiness for promotion.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Seems a little bit of an unfair assessment to me given the run we've just had. 

I don't disagree that we're not at a level that's needed to be competing for the automatic places but the fact we're all disappointed with a narrow loss away at 2nd in the league in indicative of how far we've come. We are top 6 ready under Wilder in my book and ready for promotion.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Going to put this in the bad day at the office category stupid error lost us the game should have been a draw as neither side were good.

How we face and the result we achieve against Coventry is the most important aspect.

Number of games being played tonight so we do need to recover quickly 

I think what it revealed is how well we have over achieved in past games and the need for this squad to mature and adapt as players and a team. Chris covered it quite well when he indicated the team thought they would turn up, keep shape and quickly knock the ball around and come out winners. What happened was a slow start and aggressive response which could have seen us reduced to 10 men. The shape, press, passing and movement was poor and let’s not discuss finishing.  
I agree with Chris and think recent results had given them a false sense of belief. 
I don’t believe we have the quality or balance but with time the squad is capable of competing top table but not top two and certainly no where near premier status. 
Given the unpredictability of the championship this year we should win more then we loose and I believe we have a good chance of a play offs. 

Edited by sanddancer
  • Like 1

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-united/leistungsdaten/verein/350/plus/0?reldata=GB2%262018

Makes for interesting reading in the midfield debate.

There's no doubt who our three best options are to Wilder in that midfield area and if that's how he feels about them, that's who is going to play there pretty much all season long.

Looking at the midfield he had at Sheffield United, Duffy came off a lot during that season which is why his minutes are quite low in comparison to the other two. But Fleck and Norwood, between the 88 appearances they had, they were never subbed on once (so started if available) and only subbed off 5 times across the entire season. They both individually played over 98% of the minutes they were available for.

It would seem to me that Wilder either didn't feel like he had the options at Sheffield United or just really doesn't like changing his midfield for anything if he can avoid it.

• Like 2

It’s a curious one with Payero. He isn’t up to speed with the Championship after being out for so long, but then won’t come on and get minutes to get that experience. 

I’d like to think that the midfield 3 isn’t unstoppable, but we need a long term think about the next person to fill the Howson role. He wasn’t at the races last night, but Payero seemingly isn’t the answer. 

Tricky as well to move Crooks when the right hand side is so solid with Jones so I get not putting Crooks into Howsons slot. In an ideal world is McNair the answer for that position with a BPD replacing McNair? Or are we all in agreement that McNairs best position is CB? 

We desperately need an outlet on the left hand side, arguably more than the striking options. We are too reliant on Jones and become predicable as many have said. I really do think we could have Tav there and bring McGree into the CM spot to accommodate Tav. 

1 hour ago, Woof Woof said:

I don't get to see many matches so I may be way off but that first half performance was a disappointment to me and not only bordered on unprofessionalism but ran straight into it with those bookings.

Against a weakened opposition I had hoped for better and despite a better second half the match as a whole tells me Boro have some way to go and need to be better disciplined and need a more cutting edge. They may well make the playoffs but I think that says more about the quality of the league than Boro's readiness for promotion.

I wouldn't say they were particularly weakened they were without their top scorer but they were pretty healthy everywhere else. They got the lucky break in the match that seemed destined for a draw. Blackburn are pretty similar to us where they struggle to create chances when they have more of the ball (like they struggled against Hull), they much prefer to play patiently and win the ball back in dangerous areas to create chances.

Wilder is trying to give us a framework to create chances when we're dominating the ball but it will take a while for players to snap out of the last few years of hoofball. Either way the sky isn't falling just because we lost one close game away from home against a team that's second...

• Like 1
Just now, Foogle said:

I wouldn't say they were particularly weakened they were without their top scorer but they were pretty healthy everywhere else....

They were missing the player who had scored 45% of their league goals and one of their key midfielders.

They were weakened.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

They were missing the player who had scored 45% of their league goals and one of their key midfielders.

They were weakened.

They're not challenging for the automatics just because of two players though is what I'm saying, football is a weak link sport and the players they bought in weren't weak links in my eyes, it's not like they were putting the reserves out.

I'd have preferred to play the match with Brereton and Rothwell on the pitch and Bola (who I don't even rate that highly) in for Taylor on our team because we look one dimensional going forward at the moment.