oneBoro Forum

Next seasons kit

3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

You just catastrophised a point I made about comparing the level of commercial income being more significantly based on where we're placed in the football pyramid over our brand identity. Let's not forget that you're talking about competing with the top clubs, the elite. We're not competing with them. The real elite clubs could wear shirts with a turd emoji as a badge for a laugh and they'd still have no trouble challenging us for commercial opportunities.

So yeah, in my eyes, you're definitely blowing it out of proportion. Nobody is 'accepting second class status' by saying we're fine to take the white band off our shirt, it's just not important when comparing it to other factors, other factors which you have to take into consideration when you're talking about competing with the top clubs in the game. Nobody is weighing up their options of who to get into sponsorship/commercial deals based entirely on brand identity and nobody is going to recognise us as 'the club with the red shirt and white chest band' unless we're using it consistently at the top level. Lets get to the Premier League before we start making comments like 'PR disaster'.

All Businesses great and small try to differentiate, they try to establish a brand and usually do so with imagery. There have been discussions on here before about McDonalds and their golden arches, Mercedes and their three pointed star, Audi's four rings etc. and that only Stuttgart, Chicago and Boro have a band in world football (I'm sure there are others out there somewhere). The Championship is one of the biggest Leagues in Europe (4th or something?).

All I want is a white band, you don't. You need to stop looking for arguments and calm yourself down, its just a bloody white band on a football shirt. 

I'm leaving this here before you do yourself a mischief.

• Like 1
  • Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spot on that man, The band is the sole reason i started supporting Boro. When i was about 7 or 8 when everyone in school was a Liverpool, Man Utd or Leeds fan, I got a Cork Gaelic  Jersey, Got my mam

I am shocked that you hold such an opinion!

Boro kits will be revealed on Tuesday 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

All Businesses great and small try to differentiate, they try to establish a brand and usually do so with imagery. There have been discussions on here before about McDonalds and their golden arches, Mercedes and their three pointed star, Audi's four rings etc. and that only Stuttgart, Chicago and Boro have a band in world football (I'm sure there are others out there somewhere). The Championship is one of the biggest Leagues in Europe (4th or something?).

All I want is a white band, you don't. You need to stop looking for arguments and calm yourself down, its just a bloody white band on a football shirt. 

It shouldn't even be up for discussion the band is part of our identity and should be on every home kit end of,as the the above said are one of only a handful of clubs who wear it, we should embrace it fully and use it at every given opportunity. To not incorporate it on the home top dosnt make sense.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

It shouldn't even be up for discussion the band is part of our identity and should be on every home kit end of,as the the above said are one of only a handful of clubs who wear it, we should embrace it fully and use it at every given opportunity. To not incorporate it on the home top dosnt make sense.

I agree.

Newcastle have had black and white stripes since 1894, it's iconic and synonymous with Newcastle.

Since introducing it, they've never not used it for their home kit.

There's a much shorter history of Middlesbrougu using the band, but it was a master stroke by Jack Charlton and it's something that is virtually unique to Middlesbrough in England and should be embraced.

There's plenty of variety to be had without removing the band from the equation.

For me, it's been a poor decision every time the club has decided to go for plain red.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

But is it? We've had just as many no band kits as we have band ones in the last couple decades. 

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

But is it? We've had just as many no band kits as we have band ones in the last couple decades. 

Since it was introduced, we've had 26 kits with a band or band adjacent.

We've had 17 kits without it.

Largely because each time it was dropped, we seemed to drop it for years on end, barring the weird pinstripe effort under Karanka.

27 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

😅 I'm not looking for an argument, you made a point and I've made a counter point. It's just a discussion.

I've got no beef with anybody who wants to keep the white band. All I've said is you're overplaying this brand identity thing by suggesting it is a 'PR disaster' to not use a specific design on our home shirt. I just don't agree it's going to make a big difference from this season to the next. Like you've just said yourself, it's just a bloody white band on a shirt.

It is quite funny that you've managed to make it out like I'm the one getting my knickers in a twist though.

The White band debate will always be a thing, mainly among the older generation who obviously tie it to the Jack Charlton era. 

I'm under 40 (just) so I've personally experienced plenty of seasons without and with the band and to be honest, I don't have strong feelings either way.

I can see why some people do though and that's fine.

• Like 3

The white band is instantly recognisable as our kit. Not Liverpool's, not Forest's, not Northampton's, but ours.  Without a band, it isn't really a Boro top to me - it's just another generic red top that half the teams in the country seem to play in.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, White Band said:

The white band is instantly recognisable as our kit. Not Liverpool's, not Forest's, not Northampton's, but ours.  Without a band, it isn't really a Boro top to me - it's just another generic red top that half the teams in the country seem to play in.

• Haha 10
17 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I'm actually embarrassed that I needed this post to make me realise why that's their username.

• Haha 2

Other teams fans associate the white band with Boro, Charlton brought it in to make the players more visible to each other, if that still stands then we should keep it as an aid to passing football and a marketing device.

20 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

Other teams fans associate the white band with Boro, Charlton brought it in to make the players more visible to each other, if that still stands then we should keep it as an aid to passing football and a marketing device.

Next year is the 50th anniversary of the arrival of Jack Charlton!

One of his first requests was to give Ayresome Park a lick of paint and to start advertising the upcoming season to promote ticket sales. It marked the end of a dull and mediocre second division era of Boro always being there or thereabouts but never ever convincing or being close (despite Stan Anderson's undoubted best efforts) to being  promoted with seven games still left to play.

• Like 2

I like the band but it dont bother me if its on the shirt or not, I like the mix up instead of having very similar kit every season, only time not been a fan of the band was the weird diaganol version in premier league, although it grew on me, but the following seasons was perfect for me. But love the promotion one without the band, thats one my favourites for a long time.