• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spot on that man, The band is the sole reason i started supporting Boro. When i was about 7 or 8 when everyone in school was a Liverpool, Man Utd or Leeds fan, I got a Cork Gaelic  Jersey, Got my mam

I am shocked that you hold such an opinion!

Boro kits will be revealed on Tuesday 

Posted Images

11 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm actually embarrassed that I needed this post to make me realise why that's their username.

I always thought it was because he was a fan of the Average White Band... 😁

23 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

the 'Peru' band is a favorite of mine, though it does highlight the barrel 😠🍻

Anything with a Band but please nothing like the Premier League Sash, Truly awful Kit. Looked liked the band had slipped down. Mind you it probably reflected how the season was gonna pan out. Worst kit ever🙈🙈

• Like 2
13 hours ago, scotty189 said:

It shouldn't even be up for discussion the band is part of our identity and should be on every home kit end of,as the the above said are one of only a handful of clubs who wear it, we should embrace it fully and use it at every given opportunity. To not incorporate it on the home top dosnt make sense.

Actually, because I'm a nerdy stat freak I did some digging and found that out of the 82 kits Boro have had since 1876, (according to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Middlesbrough/Middlesbrough.htm )only 23 have had white bands...and 3 of those were diagonal, so you may want to discount those.

So technically only 24-28% of Boro kits have had a white band. Quite a few others have had white shoulders and various other designs, such as the stripy Dickens and Heritage Hampers kits and pinstripes of the 07-08 and 15-16 kits.

There have only been a few periods where we've consistently had a white band:

1973 - 78 (4 kits)

1984 - 87 (2 kits)

2004 - 07 (3 kits)

2016 - 19 (3 kits)

2020 - ? (2 and counting)

I suspect some folks of a certain vintage strongly associate Boro with the white band as they became fans around these periods. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Actually, because I'm a nerdy stat freak I did some digging and found that out of the 82 kits Boro have had since 1876, (according to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Middlesbrough/Middlesbrough.htm )only 23 have had white bands...and 3 of those were diagonal, so you may want to discount those.

So technically only 24-28% of Boro kits have had a white band. Quite a few others have had white shoulders and various other designs, such as the stripy Dickens and Heritage Hampers kits and pinstripes of the 07-08 and 15-16 kits.

1973 - 78 (4 kits)

1984 - 87 (2 kits)

2004 - 07 (3 kits)

2016 - 19 (3 kits)

I suspect some folks of a certain vintage strongly associate Boro with the white band as they became fans around these periods. 🤷‍♂️

It was only introduced in 1973, so you're guaranteed to have nearly a century of kits without it.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

It was only introduced in 1973, so you're guaranteed to have nearly a century of kits without it.

It still shows that the band hasn't been a strong theme throughout the club's history though.

And even if you just take the last 50-odd years since it was introduced, you're still only talking 50% of the kits (or 43% if you discount the diagonal designs).

That said I do agree with Redcar Rioja (was it?) that if we're trying to create a strong "brand identity" for the club then the white band is probably the way to go, as there are only 2 other clubs in the world we know of who have one.

I think part of the reason the white band disappears is to push up sales, if the kits look similar you don't get the clamour for the new shirts you do when the shirt is a large departure from the previous, so about half of them having bands seems about right and supports my theory 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

It still shows that the band hasn't been a strong theme throughout the club's history though.

And even if you just take the last 50-odd years since it was introduced, you're still only talking 50% of the kits (or 43% if you discount the diagonal designs).

That said I do agree with Redcar Rioja (was it?) that if we're trying to create a strong "brand identity" for the club then the white band is probably the way to go, as there are only 2 other clubs in the world we know of who have one.

I wouldn't discount the diagonal designs though.

Since 1973, there have been 45 kits.

19 have been definite bands.

2 have been diagonal, which is an homage to the band.

3 have been horizontal stripes that I'm fine classing as band adjacent.

5 have been white shoulders.

1 has been vertical white lines.

15 have been plain red.

So I'd have that as 24 that I'd have no problem classing as a band, or 53%.

Another 11% are white shoulders that I wouldn't class as a band but I think are trying to hint at that style.

Only 33% are indisputably not referencing it, most of them are ***.

Though I will admit that I like the 1995/96 shirt, even without the band, but that's because I like the collar.

3 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

I think part of the reason the white band disappears is to push up sales, if the kits look similar you don't get the clamour for the new shirts you do when the shirt is a large departure from the previous, so about half of them having bands seems about right and supports my theory 

yeah the hummel home ones are pretty close to each other and for me make it easier to skip a year or just get the away

• Like 1
Just now, thatoldchestnut said:

Surely if the kits were going to be revealed today, then there would have been an announcement saying so.

I thought they said it wouldn’t be announced until after the Killers concert?

13 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm actually embarrassed that I needed this post to make me realise why that's their username.

When I chose my username I wanted something Boro related which also reflected something about me.  White Band reflects our kit and my playing in a band (pre-covid - we didn't restart because a couple of key people had moved on).

1 hour ago, estonpidge said:

I tend to alternate between home and away, but went away again this year as I'm the one who loved the green kit 😄 

'the one' is the right working. it was horrible. me and the kids hated it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

1973 - 78 (4 kits)

1984 - 87 (2 kits)

2004 - 07 (3 kits)

2016 - 19 (3 kits)

The red top originated in 1899. 

1899-1910 (11 years) red top

1912-1966, 1974 (66 years) red top with white shoulders or white collar

1966-73 (8 years) red top

73-78 (6 years) red top white band

78-86 (9 years) red top with white shoulders or white collar

1995+ some combination of red top with white stripe or bib though several of those (2001-4 in particular) were almost totally red.

Over the last 120 years our home strip has been a red top with something white chosen from a collar, shoulder, chest bib, horizontal band or flashes for about 100 of those years. 

Out of all those, the one that is most associated with us is the white band from the Charlton era and the UEFA cup runs. The white band might be "only" 50 years old but most organisations would kill for a distinctive, easily identifiable symbol that was 50 years old. 

• Like 4