• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve seen a lot of people on social media both recently and in the past be very keen on changing our club crest. The one I have attached I really like personally. I would like to know… 1. Does an

I'd love something like this. Feel the current one is very bland  

I hate the current badge, always have. I'd like the round badge back with 1876 on it instead of 1986, simple.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Rishworthian said:

Thats interesting Rioja as I thought it was Ironopolis who played in Blue with a white lightening flash on it.  I never realised that the Boro had played in a colour other than red

Ironopolis I think had a Red Shirt with a White diagonal stripe. I don't know why Middlesbrough changed to Red Shirts unless it was related to the demise of Ironopolis and a nod to them although I thought that there was bad blood between them at the time.

Interesting extract on the Historical Kits site:

In January 1891 "No-Side" wrote in the Northern Echo that prior to a match with Cambuslang, "Alderman R Weighill, a well known owner of racehorses, and proprietor of the Cleveland Bay Inn and Oxford Music Hall, presented the team with jerseys of his racing colours (cherry with white stripes)". The old maroon and green tops were retained as an alternative.

• Like 1

Having had a look at the link I'm going to have to admit that I did know the Boro had played in other colours.  I remember Frank Dennis scoring the only goal to win the Club's first trophy.  If I remember rightly it was the North Riding Cup.  They had white shirts on that day

I might add that I wasn't there.  Even I am not quite that old !

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, Naisby said:

Until 86 it wasn’t a red lion on the badge, for 110 years it was a blue lion. 🤔

That’s not entirely correct. A badge on the shirt wasn’t really a thing until around about the 60’s for starters. Plus there’s been no real association with a blue lion for about 50 years. 

Regarding kits im always intrigued with the alleged red and black stripes one we had at the very start and whether we actually had a kit like that. It almost seems logical the 3 big North East teams having the stripes. Newcastle black and white, Sunderland red and white and us red and black. 

Regarding the badge I'd be happy with the very basic lion either red or gold  but designed similar to the kits during the 70s. Either that or an updated round badge.Middlesbro.thumb.png.0611d7d07f91a9c34d23b6e4d196115c.png

I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but we need to differentiate between the roles of a Crest, Badge and Emblem. All three have different rolls and functions, it’s why they called different names.

Currently we have a crest that try’s to act the roll of a badge and Emblem. As a crest it’s passable but it’s not suited to fulfill the rolls of the other 2.

If Steve Gibson likes the current crest then that’s cool, he can have it on the letter heads of the club stationary and blazer badges of club officials where it belongs. The fans who buy lots of club merchandise need a badge that they identify with, so a competition to choose one or whatever but a club badge separate from the club crest is needed.

finally we come to the emblem, this is the very small discrete bit that is used to denote identity without having to emblazon something. The old usage was on a knights shield, in football kit terms it’s the small lion on the front.

All 3 have different uses and we have a need for 3 at Boro. A formal crest, a club badge, and a shirt emblem.

23 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Regarding kits im always intrigued with the alleged red and black stripes one we had at the very start and whether we actually had a kit like that. It almost seems logical the 3 big North East teams having the stripes. Newcastle black and white, Sunderland red and white and us red and black. 

Regarding the badge I'd be happy with the very basic lion either red or gold  but designed similar to the kits during the 70s. Either that or an updated round badge.Middlesbro.thumb.png.0611d7d07f91a9c34d23b6e4d196115c.png

The old story about stripped jerseys in football was to differentiate them from rugby shirts. Rugby tended to use hoops. With rugby being the older of the codified football codes towns and cities had rugby clubs first so when football came along stripes were a popular visual way to differentiate them, especially if the football club emerged from the rugby club which was a frequent occurrence. 

• Like 1