oneBoro Forum

Welcome to the match day thread for Coventry. This arguably the biggest game of our season since Blackburn on 24th January 2022 I seem to have waited forever to do this one 

Its Been A Long Time Reaction GIF

Well after the end of a nice streak in positivity via results and transfer window things were abruptly halted after a defeat against Blackburn. It probably ended the slim chances of automatic promotion but at least we are still very much in contention for the play offs.  

Despite not a great show there were positives. I felt we were the better team in the second half and probably should have scored given the couple of chances we did eventually create. I also don't think (at least hope) we could play as poorly as we did in the first half.

Anyway onto Coventry along with Blackburn probably the big surprise this season. Historically our head to head record is pretty close with Boro edging it 18 to 17 with 15 draws. Coventry could also potentially do the double over us but I feel confident if we can keep Gary Mcallister quiet, Huckerby and Dion Dublin will struggle.

Talking points. 

1. Would you be satisfied if there were no more outgoings and incomings between now and the window closing? What would you like to see being done.

2. Should Payero add a Del before his surname to get noticed and be mistaken as an unlicensed Del Piero?

3. Should there be numerous changes to the 11 that played Blackburn? 

4. Has there ever been a time Boro haven't had a boo boy in the team (Tav and Connelly currently)

5. Who hates us more this January Derby fans or James Forrest and the Celtic fans?

• Like 6
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been 3 games lads. Suggesting hes being forced to play Connolly is a bit insane. He gave him a few games to see if he could get up to speed, that's it. 

10 games is plenty though isn’t it? We should be the finished article by now. Wilder out I say. It’s no better than Warnock to be honest (apart from all the  points)

i reckon another loss today to match another terrible team selection. new manager bounce well and truly over. hope i'm wrong but being a boro fan this long i think i'm afraid to be optimistic. after a

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Downsouth said:

I have another to add to the talking points will we get bad karma whilst DZ continues to use his liquidate Derby County avatar? just saying as I noticed it thi past week!

Yep - if we lose it will be DZ's fault! 

On the plus side, we'll get to dogpile him again... 😁

On form not much between the teams to be fair. 
If we continue to start the way we have over the past few game and or can’t find a cure for sloppy play and start creating and putting away chances we may well drop a few places.Strangely I’m not to concerned so much about coincided goals more about not scoring.

One bad game does not make a season so let’s put that to bed, but I am reflecting on several recent games and while the results were favourable there is evidence progress is not as pronounced as the results suggest. Not all is right which could be the arrival of signings upsetting balance and communication but that won’t account for the drop in standards, creativity, missed chances, movement or sloppy play. 
I hope I’m wrong but we may be at the storming stage before entering norming and performing towards the season end, which if correct is going to be a bum twitching run in. 

Edited by sanddancer

Was at the away fixture and yep a bad day for all Boro fans.

Simply we need to win plain and simple nothing worse that Coventry doing the double over us!

Their form has improved of late but ours needs to

It's a game we really have to win, in order to keep in/around the top-6. I'd like to see Howson dropped for Payero. Not because I think Payero is going to come on and set the pitch on fire but because Howson isn't a DM and I don't think he offers anything in our game with the ball. I often think why he is in our team. What is his job? It's not protecting the defence and it's not because of his passing ability or technique on the ball. If Payero has applied himself in training I think he deserves a chance to stake a claim. I'd also drop one of Sporar or Connolly to give Balogun or Watmore a chance depending on who looks sharpest in training.

Howson has done very well under Wilder in that role. Blackburn was a tough game for all concerned and few covered themselves in glory, having said that i don’t have the trust in Payero to play there just yet. It’s an important position that requires the player to look after the ball and Howson is experienced at this level in doing that. Payero is still coming to terms with the pace of the league. The deep lying midfield position isn’t one where you play someone to get them up to speed. I’m not even sure if that’s his best position is it? 

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Howson has done very well under Wilder in that role. Blackburn was a tough game for all concerned and few covered themselves in glory, having said that i don’t have the trust in Payero to play there just yet. It’s an important position that requires the player to look after the ball and Howson is experienced at this level in doing that. Payero is still coming to terms with the pace of the league. The deep lying midfield position isn’t one where you play someone to get them up to speed. I’m not even sure if that’s his best position is it? 

I would make a small twist to the lineup and try Crooks in that position. I appreciate that Crooks has been important around the box and has linked up well with Jones, but I would be willing to give it a go. He is big, strong and better on the ball than Howson, so it might be worth a shot. Or try Tav at lwb and put Payero in midfield insted of him.

1. Would you be satisfied if there were no more outgoings and incomings between now and the window closing? What would you like to see being done.

We need a new LCB - Taylor's deficiencies were cruelly exposed vs Blackburn. A first-choice goalkeeper would also improve us greatly, and I think another CB is required. Otherwise, a mixture of coaching, training and squad rotation should take care of everything else. There are several fringe players I won't miss when - as seems inevitable - they leave.

2. Should Payero add a Del before his surname to get noticed and be mistaken as an unlicensed Del Piero?

He'd need to grow his hair a bit first!

I'd certainly drop Howson and Taylor. Payero deserves a start, and I think Connolly ought to be benched for Balogun or Watmore, depending on who's looked sharper in training.

4. Has there ever been a time Boro haven't had a boo boy in the team (Tav and Connelly currently)

There probably have been periods, yes, but it does seem to be commonplace. Then again, when was the last time we had 11 players consistently performing to their best? Probably Aitor's promotion season, when there was less complaining and no obvious boo-boy from memory.

5. Who hates us more this January Derby fans or James Forrest and the Celtic fans?

Derby, by miles. Celtic fans are so consumed with their loathing for the Gers that they forget most other clubs even exist.

I think we've done some decent business. There's areas we could improve or make a better 24-25 with but only really LWB that seems to be a real issue right now. A keeper would be nice but not necessary.

I think Payero right now needs a break to get into the team and he needs to grab any opportunity with both hands. I think he showed enough potential to give us something to look forward to but when you're by and large winning games and dominating possession, it's hard to justify making changes. I would think he'd do much better playing for Wilder than Warnock, though.

In situations where we don't look like scoring, the choice has pretty much always been to change the system with an extra forward, I can't think of many like-for-like subs Wilder has made beyond his strikers. He's patient, which matches up to how he preaches with his style of play.

My guess would be that he might come in if Crooks hits the 10 card limit which will give him a 2-match suspension. Crooks, Paddy and Peltier are currently on 8, Jones 6, Howson 5, Tav 4... and the cut-off point is 10 matches away. I'd be shocked if Paddy and Crooks avoided that limit before the 19th March.

Of course, there are other ways around giving Payero time even if they both get suspended at the same time. McGree is here now, him and Taylor could reasonably both play in the same team alongside Tav and Howson, in which case Payero would still be benched. If that happens well... lad is looking less and less likely of having a chance isn't he?

Considering the performance, you'd think one or two maybe but I wouldn't be at all shocked to see the same 11 again.

Nah. Even when you're getting promoted there's a boo boy in our team. Adomah had it plenty of times.

Derby fans, little to no contest that one. James Forrest and other Celtic fans are bloody hilarious though.

Transfer window?

I think the squad is very shallow. McGree is the only signing where the player is match fit and experienced in the championship. Balogun and Connolly are gambles. I suspect though that we were not financially capable of bringing in 2-3 match-fit championship players during this window. What we need is a 25 year old George Friend who can play left centre-back or even wing-back or a 25 year old Ledbitter to dominate the centre of midfield. Without one or the other I think this window will prove to have been a failure. I don't think any keeper that we can afford will make a significant difference at this point.

Man from Del Monte?

He says "no." Got a feeling that we have blown our transfer chest on a vanity project. He was playing at League 1 or U23s standard in Argentina. Maybe he can make a step-up but, if so, it probably won't be this season.

Ch Ch Changes?

I doubt it. I think Wilder gave them a rocket instead of making changes. Aside from injuries or covid I don't see any sign of Wilder making changes. Maybe one or two of the strikers.

Great Boos up?

There's always someone plus there's always someone who would make the difference if only the manager would pick him (exhibit 1: Payero).

Overall, I think the Blackburn game was just the players going out flat. It happens to all teams to some extent or other: a game starts and one side just can't seem to get going. Blackburn did a number on us but mostly the loss was self-inflicted. Before the game, Blackburn fans were raging about the team selection: claiming it was ultra-defensive and would just invite us to attack. I think, or at least I hope, that against Coventry we'll be out of the blocks in a hurry to make up for last week.

• Downsouth changed the title to Boro vs Coventry 1-0 (Sporar)