oneBoro Forum

7 minutes ago, Boro Badger said:

I’m getting this feeling too… If Connolly starts the next match then there must be something to this as I think we definitely have better options.

If that is the situation then I'm worried that Wilder is now being compromised and as a direct consequence our performances are suffering from it.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been 3 games lads. Suggesting hes being forced to play Connolly is a bit insane. He gave him a few games to see if he could get up to speed, that's it. 

10 games is plenty though isn’t it? We should be the finished article by now. Wilder out I say. It’s no better than Warnock to be honest (apart from all the  points)

i reckon another loss today to match another terrible team selection. new manager bounce well and truly over. hope i'm wrong but being a boro fan this long i think i'm afraid to be optimistic. after a

Posted Images

I have to say I think there is a bit of confirmation bias going on with Connolly. He hasn't had the best of starts and has looked a bit rusty granted, but Balogun hasn't looked much better either, albeit with far fewer minutes. People were already dubious of Connolly due to reports of attitude problems etc and it seems people are willing to disregard him easily. Not even played minutes that equate to 3 games yet. 

Balogun did well for the goal today but other than that he looked like what he is, a very raw and untested player, he lost the ball easily a few times and was getting marshalled with relative ease. He did track back well a couple of times, but if we're being fair, Connolly also put some yards in defensively. 

Hopefully one or both of them put their stamp on the side if they keep playing. Watmore must be a bit gutted because as others have mentioned, him and Sporar seemed to have a good thing going and he regularly pops up with a goal out of nothing. 

Lets see what United brings. 

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Yeah I can see why fans are writing off Connolly so far. Personally I see him as in impact player and I think he will score a few goals between now and the end of the season but they will come from the bench.

Just disappointed in Uche as I think he's a incredible option to have when your backs are against the walls especially in the last 3rd of the game .

Cant understand why we are letting  Uche  go. He is a better footballer than he is given credit for  & gives us something completely different off the bench. I hope  Connolly comes good but i did say before we signed him,he was not the player to score the goals we need.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

It's been 3 games lads. Suggesting hes being forced to play Connolly is a bit insane. He gave him a few games to see if he could get up to speed, that's it. 

If a Premiership Player arrives that isn't up to speed then why did we bring him in? Has he shown that he adds more than we already had at the club?

Watmore has shown far more in competitive games so whatever Connolly is presumably showing in training he certainly isn't delivering it on the pitch. .

Coburn has shown more in his few cameo minutes, Ikpeazu has shown more and Balogun can beat a man and offers something from the left hand side which as a side is where we are weak. Connolly looks overweight and unfit, lacks ball control and composure. How many more games do we carry him until he comes good if at all. It is starting to look like Wilder has repeated what he done at Sheffield and bringing in Strikers that don't improve his team. Ultimately all Players are judged on what they deliver on the pitch or don't. 

Whatever the reason Wilder is picking Connolly for it certainly isn't his ability based on what we have witnessed so far. It's looking to me that Wilder is reluctant to admit that he has signed a dud so keeps persevering with him. If he scores goals galore he will win over all the fans including his doubters. As it is those who questioned his attitude are the ones who are looking to be justified in their initial concerns. It is up to the lad and to Wilder to prove them wrong not the other way around.

18 minutes ago, ABH said:

Connolly was playing better than Sporar until the substitution 

Not so sure I agree with that but then I don't think there was that much between them at all. We simply couldn't get either involved in the game. They were both trying to benefit from percentage balls the likes of which Pulis would have been proud of for too long in the game.

• Like 1

Where are the overlapping center backs? It doesn’t look like we are trying to create a dominance in the opponents half by having McNair and Dijksteel come forward. We just hoof it too much instead. Looks like we’ve gone backwards a bit in the last few matches. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Where are the overlapping center backs? It doesn’t look like we are trying to create a dominance in the opponents half by having McNair and Dijksteel come forward. We just hoof it too much instead. Looks like we’ve gone backwards a bit in the last few matches. 

That is also my sense in the last two games. On too many occasions Lumley hoofed it up missing out the midfield and as a result there was little building from the back though the midfield.

28 minutes ago, expat-acklam said:

That is also my sense in the last two games. On too many occasions Lumley hoofed it up missing out the midfield and as a result there was little building from the back though the midfield.

Agree with both above posts. I think there's a few reasons for it. One being the midfield not doing a great job at showing for the ball. The 3 CB's are definitely less patient aswell, seemingly wanting to get it forward asap like under Warnock. 

I can't imagine Wilder is promoting this style of play? I bloody hope not anyways.

• Like 1

Cov looked dangerous but as mentioned our defenders were brilliant today. Shoutout to the Cov fans they packed out the away end not many teams have brought those numbers to the Riverside this season.

• Like 3

Well back from the game and post drinks. Was my 1st game i managed to get to this season. Firstly its a fantastic  win considering results around us this weekend. Although it wasn't pretty for a fair bit of the game.

I know it was very windy which could be a valid excuse but we really struggled to control and remain composed with balls over head height. I also feel Coventry on occasions made the wrong decision in the final 3rd with players free in the box. On the other hand I felt that we should have had a penalty it looked like (i think it was Crooks) was manhandled in the box and the ref watched it happen. Although I think the referee wasn't that bad bar the penalty and an incident that I didn't see in the last 10 minutes where some around me thought the Coventry player should have been sent off. I think things could have got a bit dirty after that. 

I think Tav was man of the match for me he had a much improved set piece and first time in a while I got to appreciate the graft he puts in, in tracking back and getting the ball back. The defence were also pretty solid overall. It was nice to see Payero get a bit of time on the pitch he looked good when he came on but faded towards the end but think he did enough to deserve more time on the pitch. 

Overall this week I think we probably deserved 2 draws against Blackburn and Coventry and ended up 1 point better off with 1 win and a defeat.

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Boro vs Coventry 1-0 (Sporar)