oneBoro Forum

33 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It wasn't targeted at anyone in particular. I've said my piece on the play yesterday myself and similarly was questioning it during the game. Not trying to shut down the discussion but for some, it's not far off throwing the baby out with the bathwater territory. We won a tough game, we won plenty of tough games that ought not to have been tough with our last successful manager, I don't see why anybody is keen on entering premonition territory right now.

I don’t believe people are and I think you are over reacting.  

• Like 2
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been 3 games lads. Suggesting hes being forced to play Connolly is a bit insane. He gave him a few games to see if he could get up to speed, that's it. 

10 games is plenty though isn’t it? We should be the finished article by now. Wilder out I say. It’s no better than Warnock to be honest (apart from all the  points)

i reckon another loss today to match another terrible team selection. new manager bounce well and truly over. hope i'm wrong but being a boro fan this long i think i'm afraid to be optimistic. after a

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Woof Woof said:

What's the old saying, no plan survives first contact with the enemy.

I'd love to see pretty football but there must be a plan B if the opposition stops plan A and if hoof the ball is plan B and gets 3 points I'll groan a bit but take the win 😄

Well hoof-ball can work if you have forwards who can actually hold the ball up.

Unfortunately ours don't seem able to (often because the ball gets hoofed nowhere near them) and all this does it give possession away and lets the opposition come right back at us.

Not saying Warnock-ball doesn't have its place, but I'd rather we come up with a different Plan B. 😉

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Woof Woof said:

What's the old saying, no plan survives first contact with the enemy.

I'd love to see pretty football but there must be a plan B if the opposition stops plan A and if hoof the ball is plan B and gets 3 points I'll groan a bit but take the win 😄

I agree but I’d like to think we rapidly working on plans C-E which involve winning and not having to resort to a formulaic hoof ball option. Even fans that only watch the odd match have plan b as the hoof ball option. A professional manager and staff really should have that as plan D or E.

• Like 4

Wilder has only managed for 11 games, there were plenty of matches before January where we weren't free-flowing.

For the great performances against Bournemouth and Forest, there was Blackpool and Swansea where we struggled.

Very few teams are consistently on it.

Viduka was the last player I saw in a Boro shirt that you could hoof the ball to and he knew whether to hold it, flic it on pass or even ignore it. We have had over a decade of having players that’s only option for the hoof ball was to jump with the outcome 65% give away a free kick, 22% knock it on and then realise they are the furthest man forward. The other % usually were a mixture that rarely did anything for us.

if you hoof the ball forward to the big man, he flicks it on or holds it and passes quickly, both these moves require support and a system to provide it. This is what we never seem to provide, just the hoof and flick on, almost used to get the defence and midfield reset rather than utilising it.

• Like 2

Only caught the second half yesterday. Thought we were alright, a bit better than at Blackburn at least. Seemed to really struggle with that Gyokeres, had the beating of Fry whenever he wanted. Wouldn't mind us popping a bid in for him come summer, quick/strong/skilful. 

Balogun impressed me but drifted out of the game as we got our backs to the wall a bit. Excellent work for our goal though. On that second half showing as well I can both see why Wilder wants Payero in his plans but isn't prepared to start him yet. Excellent vision to pick some good passes none of our other midfielders would spot or attempt, but off the ball seems to have no idea where he should be, who he should be marking or when he should press. Also very clearly used to having more time on the ball, some loose touches from him when he wasn't expecting a Cov defender to be flying at him sideways. 

Shout outs to Taylor/Tav/McNair who were infinitely better than their showings against Blackburn. Imbalance on our left side is still a concern but some good play (and the goal!) came from that flank yesterday. In a couple of the previous games it was like there was a dead end on that side of the pitch.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

Agreed, and just to add to this, wilder was furious after Blackburn. He made subs in the 56th minute yesterday, so clearly wasn't happy then either. This isn't how he wants us to play, but he's still working with someone else's squad so to be whinging at this stage would sort of only indicate one thing - you're a massive whinger

Ooh that's telling 'em! 😂

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Naisby said:

I agree but I’d like to think we rapidly working on plans C-E which involve winning and not having to resort to a formulaic hoof ball option. Even fans that only watch the odd match have plan b as the hoof ball option. A professional manager and staff really should have that as plan D or E.

15 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well hoof-ball can work if you have forwards who can actually hold the ball up.

Unfortunately ours don't seem able to (often because the ball gets hoofed nowhere near them) and all this does it give possession away and lets the opposition come right back at us.

Not saying Warnock-ball doesn't have its place, but I'd rather we come up with a different Plan B. 😉

I think that's the key, having players capable of being able to implement a good plan B that isn't hoof the ball. 

I am happy that Boro seem to be heading in a better direction despite the odd hiccup but at the moment I'm not getting too carried away. Hopefully in the coming weeks and months getting carried away wont be something I/we can resist 😄

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

i hope your right about this. i hope hes the next jamie vardy and i have to eat my words. at the minute he looks like hes a lad playing for a sunday league team who told all the lads hes a northern league player so everyone laughing how *** he is.

I’ve not had a chance to watch a match recently, my point was more general tho, if a player isn’t up to snuff it’s quickly apparent for folk to see, but you have to give them a few matches to prove it first tho.😀

I thought Connolly was OK yesterday, his movement is excellent if he had an extra yard of pace he'd get twenty goals a season I can't fault his effort but fans in the stadium are on his back already there's no denying it, after he blazed a shot over from a tight angle the whole stadium cried in rage at him for not firing it back across goal for his teammates. 

I think the criticisms of the long ball play yesterday need to factor in the high winds at yesterday's game we pretty clearly were trying to utilise the winds to our advantage and it worked a few times - particularly when Sporar was through from a goal kick! I've been a massive critic of Lumley but he's been much better in the past three games I still don't trust his kicking but he's been better.

We've got to remember also that Balogun has never played senior football before so I completely understand Wilder easing him in he has shown flashes of danger and he brings plenty of energy but he hasn't threatened to score yet he'll need another 3-4 games before he's up to speed I think.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Smoggy-in-VA said:

When you are playing a team that presses high up the pitch like Coventry, long balls can can catch them out.

True - and it almost-sorta-kinda worked a few times, but it was pretty much a coin toss. In our case they are frequently aimless, defensive hoofs, just trying to get the ball back up field.

Long ball tactics are only effective if firstly they are directed in the general vicinity of the forwards and secondly, if you have forwards who are used to that style of play (e.g. Ikpeazu, Assombalonga etc.)

Don't think it really suits guys like Sporar and Connolly.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

True - and it almost-sorta-kinda worked a few times, but it was pretty much a coin toss. In our case they are frequently aimless, defensive hoofs, just trying to get the ball back up field.

Long ball tactics are only effective if firstly they are directed in the general vicinity of the forwards and secondly, if you have forwards who are used to that style of play (e.g. Ikpeazu, Assombalonga etc.)

Don't think it really suits guys like Sporar and Connolly.

I agree that it doesn't suit our forwards, but I thought that Lumley played some good long balls yesterday that our forwards should have done better with. Conditions were also tough for long balls yesterday...looked a bit blustery 🌬️

• Like 1