oneBoro Forum

Manchester United vs Middlesbrough (FA Cup 4th Round) 1-1 aet (Crooks) 7-8 penalties

Well I'm in unknown territory a 2nd match day thread on the bounce. After a very hard fought win against a decent Coventry team. We now have our biggest game since 29th January 2022. With a very good chance of a cup and promotion double on the cards. 

After a low key end to a decent window on paper for us as well as our impressive form and comparing that to United's mixed form as well as the negative news that has come their way this week. There could be a potential shock (removes rose tinted glasses). 

You would assume United will go out with a strong team given its probably their best chance of winning something this season. 

Over the years we have had some very memorable moments with United such as, Bernie's bum on show after a 3-2, Morrisons challenge on Ronaldo, the penalty shootout win, United lifting the Premier League trophy at the Riverside in our first season. In the FA Cup there was the memorable 2-0 win when Fergie spat his dummy out and brought Yorke on to Cup tie him ahead of his move to us (it didn't happen in the end).

Talking points

1. Do you still love the FA Cup or has your love gone?

2. What is your most memorable moment in the Cup good and bad?

3. What changes should be made for Friday if any?

4. Is Lets Dance the greatest FA Cup song? 

5. If the game goes to penalties who are your penalty 5 takers?

AptFlawedJaeger-max-1mb.gif

• Like 8
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching Mark Goldbridge melt down over the game was pretty funny.

Watched the game with my girlfriend's brother .... We had 12 different aged rum bottles and hey ho hey ho here we go ...   Danish TV showed the game and it was fantastic!   I said early, tha

Still can't sleep. I said my bit before the game about how this could be another special moment, how this is everything football could be made for and I cannot say I was expecting anything like that t

Posted Images

Can never get too enthused about it in recent years, even though I still enjoy the draws.

But part of that will be because we're a Championship team and we have virtually no chance of actually winning it with our current squad.

2. What is your most memorable moment in the Cup good and bad?

Toss up between the Man City win and the Newport debacle.

Strongest team possible, try to win but there's no shame if we don't.

I'd say so, glad that they blast it out before every home match right now.

Sporar, McNair, Watmore, Tavernier, Crooks.

• Like 2

1. I do. Especially the final as I enjoy the build up as it was a sign it was the last bit of football for a few months. Hence why I dont like fact final is played before domestic season is over now AND the 5pm kick off. Them two aspects need to change back.

2. Even though there been more memorable moments, the one that sticks in my mind is when we beat these lot 2 nil thanks to Whelan ans Campbell just sticks. That time felt like a new era for our club and I was young and without a care in world. So all things combined its a very happy memorable moment

Lumley

Dijk Fry Paddy

Jones Payero Howson Tav Taylor

Balogun Watmore

4. 100.%

5. Same as @TeaCider24. Crooks will come on for Howson.

• Like 1

What was the video, because well done, you've got it dinged!

1. Do you still love the FA Cup or has your love gone?

I'd obviously love for Boro to win it, but the magic was gone the year the biggest team in the country were persuaded by the FA to play in the Club World Cup Tournament instead. For years I thought it was Man Utd's decision because of all the press criticism at the time, so when I found out it was actually because of the FA then the fact such a prestigious competition was deemed to not require the defending champions to play in it some of that magic has indeed gone.

Good - Beating Man City 2-0, sadly slightly overshadowed by Bradford beating Chelsea on the same day.

Bad - Di Matteo, 1997. Or Cardiff. Probably Cardiff, if we'd won that game like we should have then we more than likely would have gone on to lift the FA Cup. Ah well.

Strongest team possible, please. Balogun and Payero to start.

Phil Stamp, Berwick Hills, Boro says.....yerjokinarnya?

5. If the game goes to penalties who are your penalty 5 takers?

Sporar, McNair, Crooks, Watmore, Payero

Edited by Denzel Zanzibar
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

What was the video, because well done, you've got it dinged!

1. Do you still love the FA Cup or has your love gone?

I'd obviously love for Boro to win it, but the magic was gone the year the biggest team in the country were persuaded by the FA to play in the Club World Cup Tournament instead. For years I thought it was Man Utd's decision because of all the press criticism at the time, so when I found out it was actually because of the FA then the fact such a prestigious competition was deemed to not require the defending champions to play in it some of that magic has indeed gone.

Good - Beating Man City 2-0, sadly slightly overshadowed by Bradford beating Chelsea on the same day.

Bad - Di Matteo, 1997. Or Cardiff. Probably Cardiff, if we'd won that game like we should have then we more than likely would have gone on to lift the FA Cup. Ah well.

Strongest team possible, please. Balogun and Payero to start.

Phil Stamp, Berwick Hills, Boro says.....yerjokinarnya?

5. If the game goes to penalties who are your penalty 5 takers?

Sporar, McNair, Crooks, Watmore, Payero

Hopefully sorted the video out now 🙏

Still love it! 

Losing the final to Chelski

Start Payero, Balogun and then Sol Brynn in goal

No comment

Paddy, Sporar, Watmore, Payero, Crooks

I'm mixed. It depends on the draw. I quite like the big draws where the pressure is on the other side. Away from Boro, the best ties are the 3rd and 4th rounds where the big boys enter the tournament and when the upsets start to really stand out. The FA Cup magic is all about big teams faltering at the plucky lower league side. By the time you reach the final, it's too often the two big sides who stumbled their way to the end.

With Boro, hard to think beyond City away. I watched it in a sports bar in London with MSS, was my first time out with them. I'd invited my team lead along who was a Stockport fan and he was blown away by the support. We all went absolutely mental as you can imagine.

An odd great memory was Nuneaton Borough in a replay at home. I remember Gez Murphy(?) finished his hat trick if you count the original game, I'm pretty sure he lobbed our keeper that day. But their keeper, lovingly referred to by the North Stand as 'Fatty', was absolutely loving it. Chants of "Swap him for Schwarzer" and "Fatty for England" kept him going as we smashed 5 goals past him.

Bad, there's a few isn't there? Chris Riggott and Marlon Harewood should tell you enough. Peter Whittingham may be gone but he'll never be forgotten by Boro fans, God rest his soul.

I think strongest team available, for me. So Balogun in for Connolly and go from there. Let's go all out and give them a game.

Still dance to it on matchdays!

I guess it depends who goes the distance but if my starting 11 lasted 120 minutes:

McNair, Sporar, Balogun, Howson, Crooks

I don’t expect United putting out a full first team to be fair. Even with the younger players I think United will have to much space and pace but the BORO army should lift the team. 

It will be a good day out but I don’t expect a surprise which I am basing on our past 4 to 5 games and our inability to create and put the ball away.  My thoughts being it’s a step to far but shocks have happened quite regularly. 
If we show up, give a good account of ourselves I’ll be happy enough. 

Edited by sanddancer

I still love it. I really enjoy watching teams like Cambridge United progressing to the fourth round, and who doesn't feel a warm glow as a giant killing takes place?

Kike's celebrations after scoring against Man City, and the fact his face reflected every fan's emotions. Though as a boyhood Bradford City fan, I was very happy to see their win against the 'orrible scumbags of Chelsea (that's my worst memory, BTW) knock our win off top slot on Match of the Day.

Start Payero. Otherwise, keep the same team that beat Coventry.

I try to avoid novelty songs as far as possible. But given who was involved, probably.

Crooks, Jones, Howson, Sporar, Balogun to finish and send the away fans into raptures after Lumley easily saves an attempted Panenka by Ronaldo, who finishes the match sat on the turf inconsolable at his idiocy.

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Talking points

1. I still love it. The lower league teams vs Premier league team games, the upsets, the fact they still have the games on normal telly.

2. Good - The 1997 FA Cup final build up. I remember as a kid being dead excited, watching what felt like 10 hours of build up - all the FA Cup songs etc...

Bad - 42 seconds into the 1997 FA Cup final. Dreams shattered. 

3. I'd start:

---------------Daniels-------------

------Dijk----Fry---Mcnair------

-Jones----------------------Taylor--

---------------Howson---------------

-----Payero--------------Crooks-----

---------Balogun--- Watmore----

4. Obviously ours is the best. I actuality quite like the man u one by status quo. Not sure if it was an FA cup song, but it was catchy.

5.  Sporar, Howson, Taverner, Balogun, Leadbitter (can we re-sign him just to take one?)

• Downsouth changed the title to Manchester United vs Middlesbrough (FA Cup 4th Round) 1-1 aet (Crooks) 7-8 penalties