oneBoro Forum

Manchester United vs Middlesbrough (FA Cup 4th Round) 1-1 aet (Crooks) 7-8 penalties

If I was a striker not taking a penalty on Friday I'd feel a bit embarrassed watching the likes of Bamba, Fry and Peltier stepping up. 

Fair enough if you don't feel confident but you are putting someone in the position where they have to step up and do something they are not comfortable with. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching Mark Goldbridge melt down over the game was pretty funny.

Watched the game with my girlfriend's brother .... We had 12 different aged rum bottles and hey ho hey ho here we go ...   Danish TV showed the game and it was fantastic!   I said early, tha

Still can't sleep. I said my bit before the game about how this could be another special moment, how this is everything football could be made for and I cannot say I was expecting anything like that t

Posted Images

Just now, Duvel said:

If I was a striker not taking a penalty on Friday I'd feel a bit embarrassed watching the likes of Bamba, Fry and Peltier stepping up. 

Fair enough if you don't feel confident but you are putting someone in the position where they have to step up and do something they are not comfortable with. 

A Premier League striker as well.  Allegedly.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Aphex_Boro said:

Would you rather he stepped up whilst clearly lacking in confidence and missed?

Takes just as big a fella to say he's not up to it as it does to want to take one.

I'm guessing he'll be due for a spell on the bench if his confidence is so low. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I'm guessing he'll be due for a spell on the bench if his confidence is so low. 

To be fair it would be difficult to justify him starting ahead of any of the others right now at least based on what we've seen so far.  I'd be surprised if his confidence had been hammered that much inside three games mind.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

How do you know about how the shoot outs in practice were going? In your opinion Bamba, Fry and Peltier are incapable of taking penalties? What kind of thought is that? I was a centre half when I played and I always took penalties. This is just another load of absolute crap 💩 to try and have a go at Connolly because his moth was on love island. Give your head a wobble 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 2
Just now, Blanco said:

How do you know about how the shoot outs in practice were going? In your opinion Bamba, Fry and Peltier are incapable of taking penalties? What kind of thought is that? I was a centre half when I played and I always took penalties. This is just another load of absolute crap 💩 to try and have a go at Connolly because his moth was on love island. Give your head a wobble 🤦‍♂️ 

His moth was on Love Island?  Wildlife Moth GIF

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, Blanco said:

What on earth are you going on about? 😂

I couldn't care less about what he does off the pitch, you won't find a single post of mine criticising Connolly for what he does in his own time because I don't care. 

I've given a personal opinion about what I'd feel like in his position. I've played football, took penalties and took them in shootouts. I've always felt that the strikers and players who are used to being in front of goal should take the penalties. Obviously there's exceptions where defenders are good penalty takers but generally strikers should be better in that situation.

I think all strikers should be practicing penalties every day in training, if you get a chance to get on them in games and can put them away then a huge proportion of your goals can come from there.

If his confidence was low then don't take one but how many other players would he have let step up before he did? If his confidence was completely shot then what is he even doing on the pitch? 

Its not a personal attack on him so don't take it that way, I'm always disappointed when a striker doesn't step up in a shootout and even more so when you are getting down to number 7. That doesn't mean I'm writing him off as a player here. 

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

What on earth are you going on about? 😂

I couldn't care less about what he does off the pitch, you won't find a single post of mine criticising Connolly for what he does in his own time because I don't care. 

I've given a personal opinion about what I'd feel like in his position. I've played football, took penalties and took them in shootouts. I've always felt that the strikers and players who are used to being in front of goal should take the penalties. Obviously there's exceptions where defenders are good penalty takers but generally strikers should be better in that situation.

I think all strikers should be practicing penalties every day in training, if you get a chance to get on them in games and can put them away then a huge proportion of your goals can come from there.

If his confidence was low then don't take one but how many other players would he have let step up before he did? If his confidence was completely shot then what is he even doing on the pitch? 

Its not a personal attack on him so don't take it that way, I'm always disappointed when a striker doesn't step up in a shootout and even more so when you are getting down to number 7. That doesn't mean I'm writing him off as a player here. 

One of the best players I ever played with was a striker and he scored his fair share of goals but he was absolutely useless at taking penalties. As as team we fully understood that and usually he was taken off in the last minute when it went to extra time. 

The position a player plays in should have nothing to do with the order of a penalty shoot out unless you want to use it for a different agenda 

• Like 2
Just now, Blanco said:

One of the best players I ever played with was a striker and he scored his fair share of goals but he was absolutely useless at taking penalties. As as team we fully understood that and usually he was taken off in the last minute when it went to extra time. 

The position a player plays in should have nothing to do with the order of a penalty shoot out unless you want to use it for a different agenda 

I can't be bothered with it anymore, the only agenda is in your head. 

Think I do know where Blanco is going. Some players are far better when they react instinctively and the longer they have to think about it, the less likely they are to succeed. Some players beat themselves in one-on-ones and others seem to be able to take as long as they want and still put it in the back of the net. If you view a penalty in that light, then it makes sense that if you know a player doesn't do well if he has time to think of different possibilities, you don't have him first in line for a spot kick. All hypothetical I know, but WE WON and that is all that matters 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I can't be bothered with it anymore, the only agenda is in your head. 

You were the one who decided to attack Connolly because he didn’t get to take a penalty. Not me….. but yea maybe it’s in my head 🙄

Transfermarkt suggests Connolly is not a penalty taker in general - last took one in 2018, has scored 1, missed 3.  

I'm fairly happy he didn't put his hand up based on a 1 in 4 record. Some strikers just aren't penalty takers.