oneBoro Forum

Manchester United vs Middlesbrough (FA Cup 4th Round) 1-1 aet (Crooks) 7-8 penalties

Tough one for me, it happens so fast in real time so it's hard to say there was clear intent to overturn the decision. I like that VAR can only go back to the exact point of the goal to overturn handball etc. Otherwise where do you stop. 

Pretty funny that if Watmore had dinked the keeper and not squared then the goal would've been ruled out! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching Mark Goldbridge melt down over the game was pretty funny.

Watched the game with my girlfriend's brother .... We had 12 different aged rum bottles and hey ho hey ho here we go ...   Danish TV showed the game and it was fantastic!   I said early, tha

Still can't sleep. I said my bit before the game about how this could be another special moment, how this is everything football could be made for and I cannot say I was expecting anything like that t

Posted Images

It’s the problem with tweaking things, once you change them something unforeseen occurs which suddenly needs to be dealt with as well.

A clear simple rule which everyone understands is all that is needed.

if it hits a hand it’s hand ball, not ball to hand, once you start introducing the ability for interpretation you run the risk of the interpretation being mis-interpreted.

its the same with off sides and other rules.

• Like 1

Dear me didn't Matterface and Dixon go on about our goal they were still rabbiting about it half an hour after it had been given before finding out that the rules had changed in the Summer. Apart from one mistake I thought Dael Fry was excellent and Howson had a good game, Dijksteel was awful not just the penalty gave the ball away time and time again.

In all honesty Man U must be kicking themselves domiated the 1st half, I've never seen so many poor misses, and Ronaldo missing a penalty very rare you see that but thats the cup you take what's given to youand we did. 

Our penalties were like watching Gemany they were that good.

• Like 4

Was anyone aware that this rule had been changed? As from Managers fans pundits and players the general feeling was it was handball and no one aware of the new laws wording. Imo odd as it came in before the season started.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Dear me didn't Matterface and Dixon go on about our goal they were still rabbiting about it half an hour after it had been given before finding out that the rules had changed in the Summer. Apart from one mistake I thought Dael Fry was excellent and Howson had a good game, Dijksteel was awful not just the penalty gave the ball away time and time again.

In all honesty Man U must be kicking themselves domiated the 1st half, I've never seen so many poor misses, and Ronaldo missing a penalty very rare you see that but thats the cup you take what's given to youand we did. 

Our penalties were like watching Gemany they were that good.

It was an indication that teams do actually practice penalties as there wasn’t a duff one till the miss. 15/16 good penalties 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Naisby said:

Was anyone aware that this rule had been changed? As from Managers fans pundits and players the general feeling was it was handball and no one aware of the new laws wording. Imo odd as it came in before the season started.

Fortunately the refs were!

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Naisby said:

I had no idea, I was adamant to my wife that it was going to be chalked off, lol

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I had no idea, I was adamant to my wife that it was going to be chalked off, lol

It was refreshing to hear Wilder express that view too and publicly. Only the guy who wrote the rule change and was watching the match was going Good Goal. 😀

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Naisby said:

I certainly wasn't aware of it...I was fully expecting the goal to be ruled out. 

You have to wonder how well the change was communicated, given pundits and even some managers (Wilder included) expected the goal to be disallowed.

I agree it does seem a very convoluted re-write of the law.

That said I do like the fact there is room for deciding whether a handball is intentional or not. I think there is a big difference between a player clearly and deliberately sticking an arm up/out to make contact with the ball and what happened to Watmore. You can see him clearly raising his foot to control the ball and was just unlucky it clipped his hand on the way down.

But this business about it being okay as long as they aren't the goalscorer seems a bit daft. Either an accidental handball is okay or it isn't. 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I was aware, but I keep track of changes to the laws each season.

Kept trying to explain it to people in the pub, they were having none of it.

Are you Jeff Winter!? Quite a task to keep up with all that, fair play 😂

• Haha 1