oneBoro Forum

Manchester United vs Middlesbrough (FA Cup 4th Round) 1-1 aet (Crooks) 7-8 penalties

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching Mark Goldbridge melt down over the game was pretty funny.

Watched the game with my girlfriend's brother .... We had 12 different aged rum bottles and hey ho hey ho here we go ...   Danish TV showed the game and it was fantastic!   I said early, tha

Still can't sleep. I said my bit before the game about how this could be another special moment, how this is everything football could be made for and I cannot say I was expecting anything like that t

Posted Images

Watching on TV I saw the clear bounce off the hand and thought it was nailed on to be ruled out by VAR.

I didn't even celebrate! Was thinking 'Ah I'm gutted for Crooksy when this gets ruled out in 10 seconds.' 

Had no idea about that rule. And am even more surprised it actually got applied against United at Old Trafford... 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Yeah, it's a strange one, there looked to be intent from my point of view.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tweak the rules yet again next season to try and prevent this happening again.

Really? Looks completely accidental to me. He's got his arms out for balance as he tries to bring the ball down and it just accidentally clips it as he tries to control it. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Naisby said:

It’s the problem with tweaking things, once you change them something unforeseen occurs which suddenly needs to be dealt with as well.

A clear simple rule which everyone understands is all that is needed.

if it hits a hand it’s hand ball, not ball to hand, once you start introducing the ability for interpretation you run the risk of the interpretation being mis-interpreted.

its the same with off sides and other rules.

If there is no intent I don’t believe ball to hand should be a foul, it’s just accidental, unavoidable in my opinion. I also think they did think it through and added the part where it states a player can’t score from the incident. If I was playing I would not expect a penalty if I took a shot or made a pass and I hit someone’s hand. We all use arms as balance and we look pretty hideous walking or running around the box with arms behind our back. Not many rules can be clear cut as there is the factor of interpretation to consider. I was as surprised as many it stood to be fair, but now knowing the rule I find it acceptable. 

Just now, sanddancer said:

If there is no intent I don’t believe ball to hand should be a foul, it’s just accidental, unavoidable in my opinion. I also think they did think it through and added the part where it states a player can’t score from the incident. If I was playing I would not expect a penalty if I took a shot or made a pass and I hit someone’s hand. We all use arms as balance and we look pretty hideous walking or running around the box with arms behind our back. Not many rules can be clear cut as there is the factor of interpretation to consider. I was as surprised as many it stood to be fair, but now knowing the rule I find it acceptable. 

Watmore, Crooks et al must have known the rule cos they certainly didn't hold back their celebrations.

Unless they were hoping the ref. would feel too sorry for them to disallow it.

Or maybe they forgot all about VAR and thought they'd gotten away with one.

• Like 2

Well change the rule next season am sure Boro will be the bench mark but as it stands, the goal stands hooorah!

Does anyone know what number we will be in the 5h round draw?

You just know it will be Chelsea away for karma purposes

Had to have a quick edit in case @Leesider spotted it.

He is out get me you know!

• Haha 2

What a fantastic night. It was my first time at Old Trafford for a first team game, and it didn't disappoint.

Firstly, the bad stuff. Man Utd's finishing was absolutely horrific and they could quite easily have scored 5 goals as we really struggled to cope with their pressing and quality in possession - especially Pogba who was dominating midfield. We looked defensively really shaky, especially in the first 60 minutes or so - after which we grew into the game and took our chance when it came. Dijksteel really struggled and seemed completely out of sort. Jones looked vulnerable defensively also; Sancho was causing them two all sorts of problems when he was on the pitch so I was glad to see the back of him. However, both of them thankfully found their feet as the game developed. Lumley was, well, typically Lumley. His distribution and decision-making terrifies me - It's like watching an arsonist with a box of matches and can of petrol.

Now the positives. Fry and McNair were phenomenal. It felt like a real coming of age performance by Fry. As I said in the build up to the match, their stocks will have risen significantly after their impressive performances last night. It's them sort of performances last night that firm up interest in them and increase their value. Howson was fantastic throughout. Playing for 120 minutes was less than ideal given our important game against QPR on Wednesday night, but aside from fatigue and cramp, we seem to have came through it injury free. Another positive is that we've managed to get some good minutes into players who need it like Balogun, Payero, Peltier, Connolly and Watmore. The result will surely boost our players confidence and also improve individual players "big game" experience in the likes of Dijksteel and Jones who struggled with it before they found their feet. It's better for them two to learn this against Man Utd than in future big games such as if we reach the play offs. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

Really? Looks completely accidental to me. He's got his arms out for balance as he tries to bring the ball down and it just accidentally clips it as he tries to control it. 🤷‍♂️

Looks like he miscontrols the ball and lightly slaps it back in to his path to me.

I'd sooner it was accidental, so I'll happily be wrong on it, only Watmore will know whether he meant it.

1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

Well change the rule next season am sure Boro will be the bench mark but as it stands, the goal stands hooorah!

Does anyone know what number we will be in the 5h round draw?

You just know it will be Chelsea away for karma purposes

Had to have a quick edit in case @Leesider spotted it.

He is out get me you know!

Ball number 10. Draw at 11.40am tomorrow

• Like 1