oneBoro Forum

Play-Off Rivals/Contenders

8 minutes ago, JonnyMFC said:

My daughter is 15 and a competitive swimmer and track n field athlete, shes not good enough to be the next olympian, but she does compete for the county so she is at a reasonable level.  
Last week she finished a race and I told her that she just wasnt fast enough, she then told me that I couldnt say that and that she was quite offended by my comments, I then had to have argument with her that resulted in me telling her thats she needs to toughen up when it comes to criticism and to stop being a snowflake.

Perhaps I should have just beaten her instead?

Nah - what you need to do is train secretly until you can beat her in the pool...at swimming (just to clarify). 😜

On a more serious note it does sound like she needs to learn to take criticism and either learn from it, provided its constructive, or shrug it off if its from a silly know-nothing parent. 😁

Adversity and criticism are part of life...there is always someone ready to give you *** for something. Helps if you can learn to deal with it calmly, without going off the rails. The younger they learn the better IMHO. 

• Haha 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everything's going a bit too well 

Ever since the Pally fanny incident our luck has turned.

Ah those infamous Russian honey traps 😉

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Out of control kids and crimes committed by teenagers / adolescents do seem to have been on an upward curve for the last couple of decades. Knife crime and general anti-social behaviour in particular.

Do seem and actually are are quite different. The numbers suggest these things aren't on an upward curve. Perhaps it's an effect of everyone being more connected in every way than we ever have before?

As far as I'm concerned we're reaping the whirlwind for giving in to stupid bleeding heart liberals who don't believe in punishing kids. Because of a small proportion of adults who did actually abuse children, it was decided to use a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

But guess what - if you've been following the news, you'll have noticed there is still a small proportion of unfit parents who abuse (and in extreme cases even kill) children they are supposed to be caring for. So that really worked out well...

I think when you say punishing kids you mean physically punishing kids here, because there isn't any political leaning that suggests kids shouldn't be punished if they do wrong. Physically punishing children for doing wrong doesn't work, there are plenty of studies you can look at that show this, it had very little to do with parents who did abuse children and much more to do with physical punishment just being a load of ***.

Don't know if its related but there also seems to have been a corresponding rise in "snowflakiness" among kids, who can't face going going to school, exam stress, doing sports, bullying and other things we used to consider as just part of normal life (not condoning bullying at all - just saying we used to find ways to deal with it - including fighting back). I mean even just using the internet / social media can apparently be incredibly traumatic now... 

Aaaaand we're back in to old man shouts at clouds territory.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, JonnyMFC said:

I have never found that being told someone is disappointed in my actions much of a deterrent.

I'd say you have a lack of respect for the people who have said it to you then. 

11 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Nah - what you need to do is train secretly until you can beat her in the pool...at swimming (just to clarify). 😜

On a more serious note it does sound like she needs to learn to take criticism and either learn from it, provided its constructive, or shrug it off if its from a silly know-nothing parent. 😁

Adversity and criticism are part of life...there is always someone ready to give you *** for something. Helps if you can learn to deal with it calmly, without going off the rails. The younger they learn the better IMHO. 

Ive been working on that for years and I am pleased to report that I have now amounted enough mass to beat her to the bottom of the pool 😉

That was my point, she needs to face the reality that not everyone sugar coats things and sometimes she will needs to face this as a harsh realities of life.  What also makes them a better person is what they choose to do with critique and how they react to it.

I still think I should beat her the next time she fails though!

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

Following on from @AnglianRedwho i think summed it up perfectly.

As someone who left teaching about 12 years back, for me it started with things as simple as "No winners" sports days. Those kids are now in/hitting their twenties and have grew up shielded from being bad/good at anything. It's amazing they aren't all basket cases which goes to show there are some good parents out there. 

Or it goes to show that No winners sports days aren't as bad as you believe...

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Will said:

Just going to leave this here. Apologies that the figures don't quite stretch to today.

image.png.64a28730a2763bac9e3508308410f8b7.png

Well I for one am delighted that crime is decreasing by so much 🙌

It does make me wonder why so many people whine about policing budget cuts though, when it's clear that there is simply much less for them to do now 🤔

• Haha 4
46 minutes ago, Will said:

Or it goes to show that No winners sports days aren't as bad as you believe...

More likely the parents tell their kids that this isn't how the real world is. 😉

5 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

More likely the parents tell their kids that this isn't how the real world is. 😉

I think the kids probably realise that Sports days aren't an important part of life

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Oh god, we're on the snowflake stuff now are we.

I stop listening as soon as anyone intentionally uses that in a discussion, what a waste of time.

What happens if it's a discussion about actual snow?

Just now, Changing Times said:

Someone wasn't very good at sport at school 😏

Many people weren't, but not me. I still bring out my Year 4 100m sprint title in job interviews.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Will said:

Many people weren't, but not me. I still bring out my Year 4 100m sprint title in job interviews.

This would be the bit in the documentary where something like 'Will has been unemployed for 4 years but is still hopeful of finding work soon' would appear on the screen as it fades to black.

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

This would be the bit in the documentary where something like 'Will has been unemployed for 4 years but is still hopeful of finding work soon' would appear on the screen as it fades to black.

If only No Winner sports days had been a thing when I was at school, I might not still be relying on my supreme 9 year old athleticism to try and impress people.

• Haha 1