oneBoro Forum

Play-Off Rivals/Contenders

13 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

They're 22nd in the form table over the last 6 and the last 10 games. The other teams in and near the play offs are all in the top 10 form wise. 

Plus Boro and Forest have a game or two in hand over them. 

It's obviously not mathematically over for them, but I can't see them making the play offs.

I hope they don't, it's obviously in our interest for them to keep struggling, but they've had their main goalscorer missing for 7 of their last 10 games.

Brereton Diaz only came back from injury in their last match and he started on the bench.

Even if both Middlesbrough and Forest won all their remaining games, Blackburn would still have a good chance of catching Luton, Huddersfield or Sheffield United.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everything's going a bit too well 

Ever since the Pally fanny incident our luck has turned.

Ah those infamous Russian honey traps 😉

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

I hope they don't, it's obviously in our interest for them to keep struggling, but they've had their main goalscorer missing for 7 of their last 10 games.

Brereton Diaz only came back from injury in their last match and he started on the bench.

Even if both Middlesbrough and Forest won all their remaining games, Blackburn would still have a good chance of catching Luton, Huddersfield or Sheffield United.

Yeah on paper Blackburn have an ok run in but then 2 of they last 6 are local derby games v Blackpool and Preston. So them two teams wont roll over easily for them. They also got to Bournemouth I think. 

They still in the race for me but they run in is not as easy as it first appears.

Hopefully Fulham aren't at the beach in their last 3-4 matches of the season and play better than they did last night.

Screenshot_20220407-152308_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e8d0a6b2e0253d30f2b4b9aa2ee054a7.jpg

They'll be confirmed promoted by then, and can't really break any records, but it would do us a world of good if they managed to beat the final 3.

15 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Yeah on paper Blackburn have an ok run in but then 2 of they last 6 are local derby games v Blackpool and Preston. So them two teams wont roll over easily for them. They also got to Bournemouth I think. 

They still in the race for me but they run in is not as easy as it first appears.

Nobody really rolls over for anyone in this division to be fair, mate. The point is more that this is very much still in their hands to make it. They can play the rest of their remaining games having the benefit of teams above them fighting one another whilst playing teams who have very little to play for. They don't really need to steamroll into the play-offs in spectacular form because they're the most disconnected from the rest of the pack in terms of fixtures, they just need to maintain a steady pace to have a chance of making it in.

The rest of the teams, including ourselves, have some very big individual games which teams have so much to gain and lose from in equal measure as well as most teams playing one or both of the top 2 as well. In terms of playing games against the rest of the top 8 teams, you have:

Bournemouth - 5
Fulham - 4
Luton - 3
Forest - 3
Huddersfield - 2
Sheffield United - 2
Middlesbrough - 2
Blackburn - 1

This is perhaps the only reason Bournemouth aren't entirely out of sight right now. I still think they'll finish 2nd but despite their games in hand, they play more than half their remaining games against other strong opposition.

1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

Hopefully Fulham aren't at the beach in their last 3-4 matches of the season and play better than they did last night.

Screenshot_20220407-152308_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e8d0a6b2e0253d30f2b4b9aa2ee054a7.jpg

They'll be confirmed promoted by then, and can't really break any records, but it would do us a world of good if they managed to beat the final 3.

I actually think these are the trickiest games. Kevin Phillips touched on it yesterday on sky. Dont underestimate the mental side of the game. Yes some teams could be on “beach” but more likely than not, as Phillips said, playing without that pressure can be a big advantage against teams under the pressure.

11 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I actually think these are the trickiest games. Kevin Phillips touched on it yesterday on sky. Don't underestimate the mental side of the game. Yes some teams could be on “beach” but more likely than not, as Phillips said, playing without that pressure can be a big advantage against teams under the pressure.

Those games could go either way. A desperate side exposing themselves to Fulham for a much needed win could be ripped apart by the Cottagers. A few squad players given game time may play out of their skins to make the cut for the Premiership squad next season. Then again they could all have their deckchairs out and knotted hankies at the ready. I can't picture Silva letting them go through the motions and will have his thoughts on maintaining standards in case any poor attitude carries on into next season.

2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Prior to the Hull thread going up just read this:

"Hull have picked up nine points from their last five away games, which almost makes up for a quarter of the side’s total points haul for this season.

This includes wins against Birmingham City and Coventry City, and draws with other play-off hopefuls QPR and Sheffield United."

I think it will be a hard fought game and certainly nothing to take for granted from our perspective,

All true, but the caveat is that they were still trying to get enough points to assure survival. They're pretty mcuh there now so have nothing really to play for.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

Nobody really rolls over for anyone in this division to be fair, mate.

Don't know if you've ever heard of a team called Middlesbrough??.... 😛 Charitable folk.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Wilder thinks we need 12pts from the last 21 available to get the play offs. Therefore total of 74pts.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/20055180.middlesbrough-boss-chris-wilders-view-championship-play-off-race/

I think that would depend on getting a result with at least Huddersfield if 12 points would be enough. I can't remember who said it but I agree that if we are in the top 6 come Easter Monday night we should make it. Although I think we need at least 5 points from the next 3 to at least keep it in our hands. 

• Like 2

Could really do with a comprehensive Bournemouth victory over Sheffield United thus afternoon.

Obviously we need to get a result whatever happens there, but a 3-0 Bournemouth win would set us up nicely if we win too.

19 hours ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

I think that would depend on getting a result with at least Huddersfield if 12 points would be enough. I can't remember who said it but I agree that if we are in the top 6 come Easter Monday night we should make it. Although I think we need at least 5 points from the next 3 to at least keep it in our hands. 

Think 6 or 7 would be minimum requirement

So who has dropped out after this weekends results?

I think its all over for QPR and West Brom. QPR in 10th need to overturn a 6 point deficit to Sheff Utd in 6th with 5 games left.

I think the 3 just outside the top 6 in iBlackburn us and maybe just Millwall who still got a chance of getting there so its 4 out of 7 for me now.

Forest are defo the team to avoid. The ascendency they have currently is very impressive but hopefully that runs out before play offs

Come on boro. Lets f**king get back in this.