•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some good news on Payero, his Missus who posted it. So happy

Marcus Browne in the away end supporting the lads 👍🏻

I'll just take it as a good performance where we should have won but let ourselves down with mistakes... I'd have snatched your hand off for 2-2 before the game and the fact we probably deserved more

Posted Images

On the goal , I think Wilder is correct that whilst Lumley made a balls up of his effort , the rest of the team (especially Dijksteel) have to take a fair share of the blame. The fact of the matter is that Wilder wants his keeper to play out from the back so we will no doubt have a few more heart in the mouth moments in the coming weeks. 

Proud of the team last night though, more so than against Manure as this had all the hallmarks of after the lord mayor’s show but we played them off the park. I agree we need a top keeper who can play Wilder football   a 25 goal striker but that is for next season.

Can’t wait for Dirty Derby on Saturday 

• Like 2

Wilder is stuck with Lumley until the Summer and he knows it. Coming out and slaughtering him isn't going to change that so he may as well say what he needs to say for the sake of the team and to try and give his Keeper as much confidence as he can in the mean time.  

We were great at times last night but I do have a major criticism and that is all the faffing about at times. Playing it out from the back when you are being compressed and closed down is dangerous. It's what we done to Forest to force a mistake and we should recognise the signs when the opposition is doing it to us. That means we need to have a Plan B otherwise when teams like Blackburn and QPR can recognise our weakness it won't take long for others. I'm not saying ditch it as it can be very effective but when opposition Managers suss it out and use it against us then we need to have an alternative which at the moment seems to be launch it to Crooksy, usually after we have already been punished.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Wilder is stuck with Lumley until the Summer and he knows it. Coming out and slaughtering him isn't going to change that so he may as well say what he needs to say for the sake of the team and to try and give his Keeper as much confidence as he can in the mean time.  

We were great at times last night but I do have a major criticism and that is all the faffing about at times. Playing it out from the back when you are being compressed and closed down is dangerous. It's what we done to Forest to force a mistake and we should recognise the signs when the opposition is doing it to us. That means we need to have a Plan B otherwise when teams like Blackburn and QPR can recognise our weakness it won't take long for others. I'm not saying ditch it as it can be very effective but when opposition Managers suss it out and use it against us then we need to have an alternative which at the moment seems to be launch it to Crooksy, usually after we have already been punished.

Good post. 
I believe our greatest weakness is finishing. Other teams are polished and need but a few chances but we seen to struggle, a constant bar fight try to get the ball over the line. If we scored more from the chances we create we would put most teams to bed early. Last night was a good example.  

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

The faffing about at the back is definitely by design, I think we try to draw teams out of position and work the ball into an area of the pitch where we can create overloads. 

It might be nervewracking at times but I think Wilder and Knill would accept the occasional goal conceded for the longer term good. 

I think we do have a plan B and alternatives but you're obviously relying on the players making good decisions and having decent technique under pressure. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

We were great at times last night but I do have a major criticism and that is all the faffing about at times. Playing it out from the back when you are being compressed and closed down is dangerous. It's what we done to Forest to force a mistake and we should recognise the signs when the opposition is doing it to us. That means we need to have a Plan B otherwise when teams like Blackburn and QPR can recognise our weakness it won't take long for others.

Thing is, we do. We mix up going long and short and are more likely to go long when being pressed to the extent that I've seen posters complaining about us reverting to Warnock Ball over the last few games.

I would go further and say that we're not yet very good at playing it out from the back so we tend to retreat to Lumley for a punt down field when we're pressed. Look at how good QPR are playing from the back; we did almost catch QPR a few times when Watmore was on the pitch and it is notable that they started going longer during the second half as they panicked. We're nowhere near the standard of playing it out that they are but we've only been doing it for 3 months and we make 2-3 dangerous mistakes every game with Howson, Dijksteel and Lumley being the repeat offenders.

I don't want to overstate it but Wilderball shares about 70% of its DNA with Warnockball. He likes us to play high up the pitch in the wide areas. Wilder focuses more on keeping possession high up and a structured 5 at the back when defending. During the BC period (Before Chris), Warnock would occasionally get 30 minute spells from the players when they played on the front foot, kept the ball and attacked with speed out wide but he wasn't able to sustain that or come up with a system that played to its strengths.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Duvel said:

The faffing about at the back is definitely by design, I think we try to draw teams out of position and work the ball into an area of the pitch where we can create overloads. 

It might be nervewracking at times but I think Wilder and Knill would accept the occasional goal conceded for the longer term good. 

I think we do have a plan B and alternatives but you're obviously relying on the players making good decisions and having decent technique under pressure. 

He’s embedding his philosophy and it’s so refreshing. When he has his own players to suit this system it will be so much better. 
To be fair to the players, I think they’ve adapted really well. But, not everyone is a perfect fit, which is the nature of the beast. 

I know for a fact that I would happily sacrifice going up this season and coming back down, to going up next season and staying up long term with all of the right parts in the right place. 

Any of the stats guys here that can find something about xG for the season ... ?

And how we fare against other top teams .. 

That would tell us something about where we COULD be, if we didn't miss all those chances .. 

Thanks in advance 👍

48 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Good post. 
I believe our greatest weakness is finishing. Other teams are polished and need but a few chances but we seen to struggle, a constant bar fight try to get the ball over the line. If we scored more from the chances we create we would put most teams to bed early. Last night was a good example.  

Yep that's the difference between our level and the likes of Fulham. They would have been 2-0 up and game over in the first 10 minutes if they'd created as many chances as we did. 

• Like 2

Just seen the highlights.

1. What an awful pitch that was. The ball bubbling all over the place.

2. What the hell was Howson doing for their first goal. Why is he dallying around in the box and leaving the edge of the box totally unmarked. McNair had to try and step out and close down Chair when it's Howsons position as a DM. Poor placement by Howson who had a decent game.

3. 100% all on Lumley. His passing is atrocious yet he is so arrogant and slow on the ball.

4. We should have won.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Yep that's the difference between our level and the likes of Fulham. They would have been 2-0 up and game over in the first 10 minutes if they'd created as many chances as we did. 

Mitrovic has scored 31 goals, we've scored 34.

Fulham are a freak of nature when it comes to goalscoring this season.

22 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Any of the stats guys here that can find something about xG for the season ... ?

That would tell us something about where we COULD be, if we didn't miss all those chances .. 

Thanks in advance 👍

I posted something like that in the Rivals thread. We're looking good while a team like Blackburn should be closer to mid table.

21 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Thanks in advance 👍

This is a week old now but:

We're 2nd when it comes to underperforming on our xG

pFSHBZfv.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Aphex_Boro said:

We were collectively poor against Blackburn though, it's not like he can make 11 changes.

1 player stands out as needing to be taken out of the firing line after two poor performances in a row (potentially several more but the last two stand out), and I'd be shocked if he didn't make the change. 

Who, Dijksteel? 😄

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

I'm sick of Lumley too and can't wait till summer to get who wilder wants in. But he's still the best option at the club I think - definitely far better than Daniels.

Yes, I'd be inclined to let Daniels go in the summer, hang on to Sol  -  whose efforts seem to be greatly appreciated elsewhere  -  and let Lumley stay as number two keeper.  Whoever comes in as first choice GK will probably depend on which league we'll be playing in...