oneBoro Forum

Middlesbrough vs Derby 4-1 (Buchanan og, Connolly, Crooks, Watmore)

20 minutes ago, LBP said:

Definitely, having said that I thought there was a lot more fluid attacking play from our left today compared to recent weeks especially when McGree came on. Balogun seems to like drifting to the left as well

Might have just been how bad Derby were though tbh 

I thought Derby played well first half but our defence and midfield were outstanding defensively and limited them to one shot which was the goal from outside the area even though they worked themselves into some dangerous positions. Defensively we looked very comfortable today and keeping Lawrence quiet was very important so well done to Dijksteel. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feel like this has been lost in the noise a bit... But Balogun's assist was outrageous. 

Deserved win for you. Jones was excellent. You need some luck in any game. First goal own goal, 2nd goal a vicious deflection, I think Allsop had the initial shot covered, Lovely play from Jones to se

We loan him to Nottingham and his price goes up?

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

I thought Derby played well first half but our defence and midfield were outstanding defensively and limited them to one shot which was the goal from outside the area even though they worked themselves into some dangerous positions. Defensively we looked very comfortable today and keeping Lawrence quiet was very important so well done to Dijksteel. 

Yeah I thought similar.  Certainly Derby started the better, had some decent possession but couldn't really get anywhere with it, partly down to them, but partly down to us as well.  The two goals before half time ended it as a contest though.  Second half Derby didn't really do anything, and either they tired or they kinda gave up a bit I thought.  The second 45 mins for me was just wondering if we'd get a couple more, I wasn't really concerned about Derby getting back into it.  They're a decent lower midtable side, which is probably to their credit, and I'd be surprised if they didn't stay up but they lack quality as you'd expect, a cutting edge up front, and aren't solid enough to make up for it.  A comfortable win ultimately although I think Crooks got very lucky today as I think he could have gone off quite easily.

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, notjade said:

I think our opposition are well aware that he's our outlet. Luckily he's unstoppable

Yeah, every opposition manager knows Jones is the danger, but stopping him is not so simple.

Obviously extreme example but it's like saying yeah Salah is pretty handy, let's shut that guy down 👌🏻

Yeh second half was a cruise. We didn't really need to play at the same pace but then that suited us a bit better as far as creating chances went. I think the fact crooks never went in with too much momentum saved him it looked worse at first view but on the replay there was contact but he didnt wallop him. Imo it was a good decision the yellow as it wasn't a dangerous challenge but you have certainly seen them given and I was worried when it first happened.

2 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Yeah, every opposition manager knows Jones is the danger, but stopping him is not so simple.

Obviously extreme example but it's like saying yeah Salah is pretty handy, let's shut that guy down 👌🏻

I feel Mcgree is going to be a big problem for opposition teams among the others coming into their own now. Will be very hard to neutralise the team just off Jones i think now

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

Dijksteel is quietly one of our best players. He is so good

I feel like Dijksteel is about as hit and miss as Tav was in his position until about a month ago.

He does a fair bit of good stuff. He can play a little going forward, makes runs inside and outside when he gets his head up. I think the best thing from today is he basically allowed us not to worry about Ebosele on the counter in the second half because he matches him stride for stride in a straight run.

But sometimes he looks a shadow of himself too. In possession at the back, under pressure, it feels like he dawdles a little then has to hastily make a decision he didn't want to make. I'd say he's the weak link of that back 3. If there's one player in the defence I'd consider improving on at this level, it's him.

Hopefully, like Tav, he keeps improving though. He's better than when Wilder first came in, at least.

• Like 2

we just keep getting better, we had a dip in form performance wise and still won all of them games except for the narrow loss at Blackburn. if we are playing well dont see us losing or drawing many. we've gone up another level again. 

Also, I've no idea why Derby fans watching the replay think Crooks should have been sent off.

It's a foul, his left knee slides into Bird's privates. But his right leg just lands on top of Bird, doesn't make any contact with studs or anything. I'm not overly sure if that's a booking for the knee but it seemed the right call to me.

Needless to say, Derby continue to want to blame somebody or something else for the problems they have.

• Like 3

I'd say it was mcnair who is the weak link. His mistakes have led to several goals this season he's cost us alot more than dijksteel. He played well today mcnair but again it was his soft defensive header that fell straight on to birds foot. That might be a bit harsh but for me I think dijksteel is a more accomplished defender.

7 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

I'd say it was mcnair who is the weak link. His mistakes have led to several goals this season he's cost us alot more than dijksteel. He played well today mcnair but again it was his soft defensive header that fell straight on to birds foot. That might be a bit harsh but for me I think dijksteel is a more accomplished defender.

Very harsh in my opinion as I think he has been superb.

12 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Also, I've no idea why Derby fans watching the replay think Crooks should have been sent off.

It's a foul, his left knee slides into Bird's privates. But his right leg just lands on top of Bird, doesn't make any contact with studs or anything. I'm not overly sure if that's a booking for the knee but it seemed the right call to me.

Needless to say, Derby continue to want to blame somebody or something else for the problems they have.

In real time I thought it was a foul by Bird initially. Then crooks ended up crumpling into Bird. I'll have to see it again. Certainly not a red though. 

Their player (possibly Ravel?) who was diving in to two footed tackles late in the game on the other hand...