oneBoro Forum

Middlesbrough vs Derby 4-1 (Buchanan og, Connolly, Crooks, Watmore)

43 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Interesting to read Rooney's comments about the tactics of the game. He admitted they had a tactic to hit it long and have two runners chase in behind our defence, which didn't work. It seemed to happen 3/4 times in the game and each time a CB got back in time or Lumley rushed out to sweep.

He also said that they had come up with plans to neutralise Jones which completely failed as well. Encouraging to me that teams are struggling to come up with ways to disrupt our system!

It’s a tactic a few teams have used now and one more will use. I think Djik was more disciplined (or switched on) against Derby which helped. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feel like this has been lost in the noise a bit... But Balogun's assist was outrageous. 

Deserved win for you. Jones was excellent. You need some luck in any game. First goal own goal, 2nd goal a vicious deflection, I think Allsop had the initial shot covered, Lovely play from Jones to se

We loan him to Nottingham and his price goes up?

Posted Images

I've been one of Tav's bigger critics, but the last three games he has been immense and MOTM contender in each.

I'll also hold my hands up and say Connolly massively impressed me with his attitude on Saturday. When he didn't have the ball he was chasing it, he was always putting pressure on their keeper and looking to make stuff happen. I hope it continues.

We really are spoilt for choice with our forwards, I still don't think Wilder knows which combination works best.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I've been one of Tav's bigger critics, but the last three games he has been immense and MOTM contender in each.

I'll also hold my hands up and say Connolly massively impressed me with his attitude on Saturday. When he didn't have the ball he was chasing it, he was always putting pressure on their keeper and looking to make stuff happen. I hope it continues.

We really are spoilt for choice with our forwards, I still don't think Wilder knows which combination works best.

I suspect Connolly arrived not really match fit - he hardly played before Christmas. He probably also didn’t realise quite how hard the championship is. A few choice words from Wilder probably helped as well. I think Balogun is also still getting to grips with the competitiveness and physicality of the championship.
Being spoilt for choice tends to make each player try more to make sure they are the ones missing out. All in all , a win-win for us. I think both the new lads have more to give when they are fully up to speed with the league.

• Like 2

Tav has changed his game over the last 3 games. I have consistently criticised his approach and end product for months. His recent performances have been a revelation, it's like getting a new player in the squad. KEEP it up Tav.  

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

i remember brian dean getting pelters, but i couldnt ever slag a player off like him. who gave everything in the shirt. he did his best at what he was asked to do, which wasnt exactly suiting him half the time. getting abuse for it in the crowd. i was always telling the knobheads slating him to shut up. 

connolly though terrible initially and still not exactly looking like a talent. i dont care to much if he puts in shifts like that. was it paul dickov? that little busy forward. never stop running or harassing defenders. absolute nuisance he was. not the best striker but must have been a pain to play against.  That's what Connolly can be, wilder should be showing him videos of him lol

On 2/12/2022 at 10:33 PM, p_mards said:

457D3C2B-F229-473C-93A2-A12625550E31.jpeg

That graphic again shows how ridiculous expected goals assists are. Balogun is rated as 0.7 assists which is obviously referring to the Watmore goal. That ultimately says that Duncan Watmore will only score 7 times out of 10 from 6 yards out, in the centre of the goal with no goalkeeper and one defender covering across. Bat *** crazy. 

3 minutes ago, Humpty said:

That graphic again shows how ridiculous expected goals assists are. Balogun is rated as 0.7 assists which is obviously referring to the Watmore goal. That ultimately says that Duncan Watmore will only score 7 times out of 10 from 6 yards out, in the centre of the goal with no goalkeeper and one defender covering across. Bat *** crazy. 

As far as I'm aware xG does not take into account the position of any opposition players.