oneBoro Forum

Middlesbrough vs Derby 4-1 (Buchanan og, Connolly, Crooks, Watmore)

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feel like this has been lost in the noise a bit... But Balogun's assist was outrageous. 

Deserved win for you. Jones was excellent. You need some luck in any game. First goal own goal, 2nd goal a vicious deflection, I think Allsop had the initial shot covered, Lovely play from Jones to se

We loan him to Nottingham and his price goes up?

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Will said:

I'm not sure it's putting a negative spin, more just acknowledging what we're seeing. Against QPR I said to Brunners and Wilson that Jones was starting to get the "Adama Treatment" that he used to get of 2 and sometimes 3 men being devoted to stopping him from impacting the game. We need a plan for when teams do that and Neil Taylor on the opposite side ain't it.

It’s noticeable though that Jones doesn’t try to beat his man all the time - or indeed a lot of the time. Most times they recycle the ball inside to Crooks/Tav/Howson/Dijksteel. It makes it more difficult for the opposition to gang up on Jones as they leave too much room inside when they do, for the attack to develop further infield. Seem to remember the Crooks goal came after they did this and the Derby defence moved to cover this and left Jones on his own to take on the defender when the ball was quickly passed back out to him. I’m sure this is no accident, Wilder and coaching staff have been instilling to into players.
I think with Balogun playing this will also mean ball pushed across to left more, again stretching out the opposition defence. Taylor even seemed to be getting further forward yesterday - and he definitely did at QPR.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

It’s noticeable though that Jones doesn’t try to beat his man all the time - or indeed a lot of the time. Most times they recycle the ball inside to Crooks/Tav/Howson/Dijksteel. It makes it more difficult for the opposition to gang up on Jones as they leave too much room inside when they do, for the attack to develop further infield. Seem to remember the Crooks goal came after they did this and the Derby defence moved to cover this and left Jones on his own to take on the defender when the ball was quickly passed back out to him. I’m sure this is no accident, Wilder and coaching staff have been instilling to into players.
I think with Balogun playing this will also mean ball pushed across to left more, again stretching out the opposition defence. Taylor even seemed to be getting further forward yesterday - and he definitely did at QPR.

It is mad watching the Crooks goal back. Jones first receives the ball with 3 players in front of him and a couple of passes later when it comes back to him, there's only 1 player on him as they've all shifted away from him. And yet still, there's nobody in the middle watching Crooks' run as the ball comes across. Criminal to switch off so badly when Jones is involved.

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

It's an English language thing sand man. You have surnames like Featherstonaugh which is pronounced, for some reason, as FANSHAW. Other anomalies with places like Leicester and Worcester. You also have place names that end in BROUGH but get pronounced with an O between the B and the R....  nothing more than quirks. Here's the etymology of the pronunciation... It's the result of the same process (that is, erroneous pronunciation) whereby "learn" becomes "larn" in some (very) nonstandard American dialects. One feature of uneducated speech in England around the 1800's was a tendency to pronounce the "er" sound of words like "clerk" as the "ar" sound of "clark". The phenomenon was sufficiently widespread that the English novelist Henry Fielding used pronunciations like "sarvis" for "service", "sartain" for "certain", and "parson" for "person". These previously unacceptable pronunciations eventually became standard for some words, like Derby, Berkeley, and clerk...
Source: J.C. Wells, Accents of English

Standardised and codified pronunciations and spellings during the 19th century were common.

American English and its constructs was a clear and purposeful action by a man to create a new official language that wasn’t called English.

Add to this the fact that at the time American citizens were a very patriotic towards their new nation and came speaking and spelling words in many ways and hey presto add a great dollop of anti Englishness and you get American English.

https://litreactor.com/columns/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-noah-webster-the-inventor-of-american-english

I'm not suggesting ,but watched Boro game then Man Cities and seen similarities in how we have changed, we are now working the ball around the box into areas that drags the defence around on both sides untill we get it to Jones, if we can get someone on the left doing the same , more domination.we are also being patient .

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't know what everyone is on about. Jones is awful, if Prem teams really want to improve their side they should be looking at Spence in the summer, not Jones.

wilderlaugh_emoji.png.65b7469bc29bc6f098ec803b69ff00b5.png

To be honest I think if we dont go up we wont have either of them next season. Should pocket us 30-40m for the pair though, which is insane considering where they were at the start of this season.

4 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Correct.

They cheated, they should have went down last season, they deserve to go down this season.

Nothing to do with maturity, Derby rightly belong in League One next season.

It's PR spin to portray them as plucky underdogs who people should be rooting for, they've brought the whole situation on themselves.

Thats your opinion and you're entitled to it.

My opinion is that to continue that sort of attitude is reverting to childish playground taunting that you really should have grown out of long ago.

I mean it doesn't achieve anything other than to antagonise supporters of a club thats already been heavily punished and may yet get relegated, while the real culprit has got off extremely lightly, to say the least.

MadAmster has been very polite and articulate in his posts on here and is deserving of reciprocal behaviour.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Thats your opinion and you're entitled to it.

My opinion is that to continue that sort of attitude is reverting to childish playground taunting that you really should have grown out of long ago.

I mean it doesn't achieve anything other than to antagonise supporters of a club thats already been heavily punished and may yet get relegated, while the real culprit has got off extremely lightly, to say the least.

MadAmster has been very polite and articulate in his posts on here and is deserving of reciprocal behaviour.

I've got nothing against him, he seems a nice poster, but that doesn't mean I should want his cheating club to stay up.

I'm not taunting him as a person, I'm just reiterating the fact that I want Derby to go down for their sins.

I've met plenty of Newcastle fans that are lovely, Sunderland too, I still don't wish their clubs well on the pitch.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dan1234 said:

To be honest I think if we dont go up we wont have either of them next season. Should pocket us 30-40m for the pair though, which is insane considering where they were at the start of this season.

Depends on Jones' attitude, which seems exemplary so far.

He's on a new long term contract, if we want to keep him, we're under no pressure to sell.

Especially with the rumoured big money moves for Spence.

43 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Depends on Jones' attitude, which seems exemplary so far.

He's on a new long term contract, if we want to keep him, we're under no pressure to sell.

Especially with the rumoured big money moves for Spence.

Not doubting his attitude but you are living in cuckoo land if say a Tottenham or West Ham come in with 20m he wont be off. Those sort of clubs would be stupid not to go for him if he continues this form. Remember like Spence he is a London lad. 

2 hours ago, Dan1234 said:

I'd like to see Boro keep both. I know some here wouldn't miss Spence but I remember his good games and think he'd come in handy... and how much would Boro need to spend to get anyone better?

Anyway. I hope both stay.

6 minutes ago, Woof Woof said:

I'd like to see Boro keep both. I know some here wouldn't miss Spence but I remember his good games and think he'd come in handy... and how much would Boro need to spend to get anyone better?

Anyway. I hope both stay.

I'd want to keep Jones I honestly don't believe Spence wants to stay and if that is the case then an unhappy player is no good to us regardless of how good he is. 

2 hours ago, Dan1234 said:

How much would we pay for replacements given the aim is promotion. That to me is false economics. 

• Like 1