oneBoro Forum

Bristol City vs Middlesbrough 2-1 (Crooks)

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Safe travels, lads.  

Scene 1: Int (Day) [The Middlesbrough team coach, en route to Bristol. A group of players are sitting around a table holding brown playing cards. Chris Wilder wanders up from his seat at the fron

It’s calm and clear here to (WSM) wind and rain picking up over lunchtime but then easing off in time for kick off.  Safe travels to all making the journey and if you happen to see a couple of fe

Posted Images

Just now, TeaCider24 said:

8 pages, and you could probably fit the relevant posts on 1.

All because somebody posted a photo from The IT Crowd.

I'm glad nobody referenced Harry Potter.

Bloody hell, what's Harry Potter done like? 😳

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Personally I think you have just categorised and labelled people that don’t support your views. I believe it discourages open discussions to better understand concerns and find solutions. As a project manager I come across a lot of personal who simply don’t fully understand why a decision was made and or can’t communicate what they actually oppose. I or we as a company learn nothing if we simply labelled and expelled them from discussions.  

I've categorised people who complain about the physical advantages a trans woman may have over a cis woman as primarily, from my own and the experience of trans people I know and care about, coming from those who also have a generally bigoted view of trans people and trans rights.

If you want to say that's me categorising them as people I don't share views with then you're very much on the money, I just don't understand what point you're trying to make by pointing that out to me.

• Confused 1

Allegedly responsible for giving a Hog warts while playing Piggy in the Middle..

Going for a Boro win, but might not be as easy as some anticipate, they have a couple of decent players 

42 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

8 pages, and you could probably fit the relevant posts on 1.

Win some, lose some. Some people only want relevant discussion in relevant threads, some want discussions to continue naturally occurring unfettered by anything. I think by and large we have a happy medium.

I do understand people being a bit peeved coming into a thread about a match and finding all the comments being completely unrelated though on the flip side, all it would likely mean is the thread would just be inactive anyway. It's either an interesting discussion on something unrelated or its crisps.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is... meh 😅

57 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

She Who Must Not Be Named is a non-person because of very ill-advised and public stance on trans-women.

Makes it all very awkward when so many of the younger generation who are active on the Internet are huge Harry Potter fans whilst also being opposed to the author's political views.

I've never agreed with the whole "death of the author" concept, so it's funny seeing the hoops people will jump through to both condemn JK Rowling and still obsess over Harry Potter.

4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

She Who Must Not Be Named is a non-person because of very ill-advised and public stance on trans-women.

Makes it all very awkward when so many of the younger generation who are active on the Internet are huge Harry Potter fans whilst also being opposed to the author's political views.

I've never agreed with the whole "death of the author" concept, so it's funny seeing the hoops people will jump through to both condemn JK Rowling and still obsess over Harry Potter.

Keep it on topic, jeeeeeez. 

Hopefully this storm won't impact team and fan travel too badly.

Good luck to all those who are living in the red alert areas and I hate the fact that the Boro game will be at risk we do not need cancellations.

Not that it will make any difference but is it possible that the request to keep the thread to the subject matter could be acknowledged and respected, Please!

• Like 1

Someone born as a man, who later in life identify as a woman, will always have a physical advantage when competing in women’s sports … 

Weight lifting 
MMA 
Handball 
Boxing 

The above mentioned are just a few, where the physical advantage would make it very unfair for the majority of the competitors, if a few women, born as men, could compete. 

People can be who they want to and feel like and identify as … But they shouldn’t have any advantages that other people don’t have … That’s NOT equality … 

Lady Spite’s example with the handball player (from woman to man - from national team to second division) shows perfectly the difference between women’s and men’s handball … To translate it to football, that would be a top premier league player now playing for a newly promoted league 2 team at best .. after the transition …

There was an example the other Way around, where a woman, who was born as a man, played for the  Australien women’s national handball team and it was like a teenager playing against toddlers …  That’s not equality … 

I respect people as they are and I don’t give a damn about race, religion or gender … But i cannot stand up for cases where a minority gets a huge physical advantage or disadvantage like in the two cases mentioned … 

Oh it’s the MDT … Back on topic .. 

I like Jones .. UTB

• Like 2
9 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm too big a HP fan to burn my book and DVD collections. 🤷‍♂️

Funny how often these things come to light after the person in question has enjoyed success, made their fortune and are likely set for life, regardless of what happens next.

I agree its a very tricky situation.

My philosophy is (usually) that everyone has their own views and is entitled to express them...ill-advised or not (provided they don't actively incite hatred and violence towards others). If it ends up having adverse impacts on their careers, then thats on them.

Based on my own life experiences I've known for a long time that some people just don't like or accept people who are different to them. Humans are still very primitive and tribal in their thinking in some ways and I don't think any amount of political correctness, "cancelling" or anything else will ever fully eradicate it.

Personally I'd rather people were honest about their views, rather than put up a front just to further their careers / avoid public condemnation. At least that way I can respect them for their honesty - even if I don't agree with their views, rather than fanboy over them, thinking they're this great person, when they are actually quite different in private.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

Someone born as a man, who later in life identify as a woman, will always have a physical advantage when competing in women’s sports … 

Weight lifting 
MMA 
Handball 
Boxing 

The above mentioned are just a few, where the physical advantage would make it very unfair for the majority of the competitors, if a few women, born as men, could compete. 

People can be who they want to and feel like and identify as … But they shouldn’t have any advantages that other people don’t have … That’s NOT equality … 

Lady Spite’s example with the handball player (from woman to man - from national team to second division) shows perfectly the difference between women’s and men’s handball … To translate it to football, that would be a top premier league player now playing for a newly promoted league 2 team at best .. after the transition …

There was an example the other Way around, where a woman, who was born as a man, played for the  Australien women’s national handball team and it was like a teenager playing against toddlers …  That’s not equality … 

I respect people as they are and I don’t give a damn about race, religion or gender … But i cannot stand up for cases where a minority gets a huge physical advantage or disadvantage like in the two cases mentioned … 

I like Jones .. UTB

There is just no data to back up the claim that they get a "huge physical advantage" though. You can spill out all these anecdotes all you want but if this was actually true, you'd see trans women dominating sports. You'd see more trans representation at the Olympics too, no trans person has ever won a medal. 

Even Laurel Hubbard, the trans weight lifter from the Olympics, who the GC & Anti Trans crowd were yelling about didn't even complete a lift in the Olympics, and was beat by many cis women.

This stance just isn't backed up by reality.

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

Weight lifting 
MMA 
Handball 
Boxing 

I like Jones .. UTB

I said something quite similar a while back.

While I fully agree that people should be free to be / identify as whatever they want, they also need to accept it could limit their future life choices in some areas - sports probably being the prime example.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Brunners said:

There is just no data to back up the claim that they get a "huge physical advantage" though. You can spill out all these anecdotes all you want but if this was actually true, you'd see trans women dominating sports. You'd see more trans representation at the Olympics too, no trans person has ever won a medal. 

Even Laurel Hubbard, the trans weight lifter from the Olympics, who the GC & Anti Trans crowd were yelling about didn't even complete a lift in the Olympics, and was beat by many cis women.

This stance just isn't backed up by reality.

What on earth are you talking about? There's a reason why men and women sports are separate and it's not to protect the men. There's a ton of videos out there of top level women getting absolutely smashed by no name males in their chosen sports, especially combat sports.

Sounds like you are denying physical facts. 

• Like 3
  • Downsouth changed the title to Bristol City vs Middlesbrough 2-1 (Crooks)