oneBoro Forum

Bristol City vs Middlesbrough 2-1 (Crooks)

2 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

wilder giving it big talk when he got here about players that dont play for the team will be out. will he give balogun and connolly more time because all i see is two very selfish players playing for themselves. 

Connolly was excellent last week and he was one of our better players today.

You've been unrelentingly negative about him from before we signed him.

I can understand the criticism Balogun is getting after today, but it's people buying in to their own prejudices for Connolly.

The one opportunity you could maybe argue he should have done better with was when he hit the side netting, but even that would have involved him squaring it to players who were behind him and he probably didn't realise were in better positions, the actual shot he took wasn't particularly poor considering the angle he was at.

• Like 4
  • Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Safe travels, lads.  

Scene 1: Int (Day) [The Middlesbrough team coach, en route to Bristol. A group of players are sitting around a table holding brown playing cards. Chris Wilder wanders up from his seat at the fron

It’s calm and clear here to (WSM) wind and rain picking up over lunchtime but then easing off in time for kick off.  Safe travels to all making the journey and if you happen to see a couple of fe

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Connolly was excellent last week and he was one of our better players today.

You've been unrelentingly negative about him from before we signed him.

I can understand the criticism Balogun is getting after today, but it's people buying in to their own prejudices for Connolly.

The one opportunity you could maybe argue he should have done better with was when he hit the side netting, but even that would have involved him squaring it to players who were behind him and he probably didn't realise were in better positions, the actual shot he took wasn't particularly poor considering the angle he was at.

i praised him for last week and he did well today connolly. but that doesnt make him a prolific striker does it. he just isnt and never will be. signing balogun and connolly was a massive risk from wilder. sporar watmore uche and hernandez offer more than both of them. 

anyone can defend poor players thats fine. i want to get promoted and i questioned connolly from that start and balogun was an unknown. they should be back up options for us. they wont fire us to the premier league on what we have seen from them. 

connolly wasnt excellent last week either. he just improved a hell of a lot. he was actually miles better today than last week imo. just dont see goals in him. because others are not scoring either. its just adding to the obvious and annoyed me today especially with how ineffectual balogun was, i was expecting him to do what Connolly has done (improve every game)

hopefully connolly stops with this head down go thing he does. there might actually be a decent player in there somewhere. i'm still waiting to be convinced he can be a striker that scores goals though.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
44 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

wilder giving it big talk when he got here about players that dont play for the team will be out. will he give balogun and connolly more time because all i see is two very selfish players playing for themselves. 

Yeah Baloguns assist last week in the last min when we were leading 3-1 did look like a guy playing for himself. 

Are you wanting them dropped because of today? Is that how it works? Because then we might as well make 11 changes for Tuesday as no one performed that well today.

I mean we could just be sensible and calm and just put it down to a bad day at the office which I think it was.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Dynamo Kev said:

🥱 

2 hours ago, Dynamo Kev said:

this right!

multiple moments during the game both of them had the ball and were taking impossible shots instead of just playing in another man in space for an almost certain goal. 

wilder will 100% be miffed because its just pure selfish gameplay from players who so far are not good enough to go at it alone.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Yeah Baloguns assist last week in the last min when we were leading 3-1 did look like a guy playing for himself. 

Are you wanting them dropped because of today? Is that how it works? Because then we might as well make 11 changes for Tuesday as no one performed that well today.

I mean we could just be sensible and calm and just put it down to a bad day at the office which I think it was.

yes its a bad day at the office, we'll see more of them if those two keep starting. but like i've said not been happy with connolly and balogun coming in and replacing uche and hernandez. never mind replacing watmore and now sporar in the first 11.

its only going to be gotten away with if we win. because its a rank bad move from wilder. and has cost us points here.

was sporar ill or did he have something to say to wilder when he was on the bench again so was dropped from squad? watmore might be the model pro and just sit and say nothing but i have always seen sporar as someone who will not be afraid from speaking his mind. hopefully i'm wrong in saying this. but it wouldnt surprise me, if i was correct.

2 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

yes its a bad day at the office, we'll see more of them if those two keep starting. but like i've said not been happy with connolly and balogun coming in and replacing uche and hernandez. never mind replacing watmore and now sporar in the first 11.

its only going to be gotten away with if we win. because its a rank bad move from wilder. and has cost us points here.

was sporar ill or did he have something to say to wilder when he was on the bench again so was dropped from squad? watmore might be the model pro and just sit and say nothing but i have always seen sporar as someone who will not be afraid from speaking his mind. hopefully i'm wrong in saying this. but it wouldnt surprise me, if i was correct.

Ah yes those class goalscorers uche (2 in 20) and hernandez (1 in 17). Your whole comment earlier was that you thought Connolly did well but will never be a goalscorer and now you're saying that those two, who are far further along in their development (connolly only just turned 22 - he's younger than Jones), were better options despite also not being goalscorers. 

It's all just confirmation bias with you - you had these preconceived notions that you will not shake. Connolly has been our best striker the last few weeks - watmore did nothing when he came on today and sporar has been off the boil too. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

But as you well know stats don't tell the whole story.

Did you actually watch the game?

Your apparent blindness or inability to recall certain parts of it make me wonder.

Yes we had a lot of shots at goal. About half were off target. All but one of the ones that were on target were a mix of great or easy saves.

They also came during spells of pressure in front of goal...which wasn't something that happened for the whole 90 minutes.

There were large spells of the game where we weren't doing very much at all (and in some cases neither were Bristol).

I don't know why you're waffling on about getting lucky with own goals and other stuff in other games. Thats irrelevant. I'm talking purely about this game.

You're writing an awful lot but not making much sense or putting up much of an argument.

If you read my original after match comment, you'll note I did say Boro did a lot of good things today, but were let down by our inability to convert the chances we created, coupled with poor defending.

We could and should have won this game, but the Bristol keeper played a blinder and we lost our way after conceding the first goal, for most of the first half. Second half we tried to make up for that and could have scored 3-4 goals with better finishing (or worse keeping). But we also were annoyingly pedestrian at times and spent too much time playing safety first in front of Bristol.

I really don't know why you're getting so riled up about this.

Of course I watched the game mate, and no I'm not riled up, I'm simply confused about what you're saying or trying to say as you are contradicting yourself.

"It's no wonder we struggle to break down well organised teams"

but then:

"We could and should have won the game, the Bristol keeper played a blinder...could have scored 3-4 goals with better finishing (or worse keeping)"

So we didn't in fact struggle to break them down then? 🤷‍♂️

"but we just passed from side to side and took ages to attempt a forward pass (which usually got intercepted or cleared)."

Except for the 21 times we had shots at goal presumably, including those 3-4 goals we could have scored with better finishing or worse keeping 🤷‍♂️  4 shots were off target today out of 21 by the way, so not half of them.

What I'm trying to understand is how we were so pedestrian, and struggled to break down Bristol City, and yet by your own admission we should have won comfortably?  I don't recall seeing any games where a team has struggled to break the other side down but should have also scored 3-4 goals. and the opposition goalkeeper played a blinder.  By definition, struggling to break teams down means not creating chances, or at least it certainly does to me.  Do you mean something different to that?

I wasn't waffling on about own goals or getting lucky, well I wasn't intending to waffle anyway.  I made a statement that we were better today than we were last week, but we didn't have the luck we got last week, when nobody, including yourself, thought we were pedestrian, struggling to break down Derby or anything else.  We created more today than we did last week was the point I was making, and nobody complained about last week.  I thought I had made that clear enough but obviously not.

The funny thing is that the "playing safety first in front of Bristol City" is exactly how we scored the one goal against Derby last week that Derby didn't give us a helping hand with.  We patiently moved the ball from left to right, then from right to the centre, then from the centre back to the right again, then Jones put the ball in for Crooks' goal.  A lot of what we were doing today was in a similar vein but the chances we created either weren't taken, or weren't actually made because somebody played the wrong pass, or we just didn't get the opening we were looking for.  It's not like we were playing really quickly for that goal either, we were patient, which apparently becomes pedestrian when it doesn't end up working out for you.  Every single pass for that goal was in front of Bristol City right up until Jones beat his man and put the cross in.  From what I can remember, people thought that was lovely football though. 

Edited by Changing Times
  • Like 3

Baffles me a bit that we still have people after games like today complaining about Lumley in the post match. Two goals conceded and he couldn't have done much about either.

There's really nowhere else to turn when it comes to keepers either. At least last season when it was Bettinelli in goal, we hadn't seen how bad Archer was (for us) until towards the end of the season. Both Lumley and Daniels have had spells in the side and neither have been outstanding. But they are who we have until the summer.

Personally, I've seen enough from Lumley since he came back into the side to suggest he should be the #1 for the rest of the season but we probably need to re-evaluate that position in the summer. We've got a lot of games to go and promotion to fight for until then so I think for now, got to suck it up and get behind him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

If Sporar is the kind of person who throws his toys out the pram by being told he's on the bench, he can get lost. I've not seen anything to suggest that at all though. Being unafraid to speak your mind doesn't mean you're going to sit there and lambast your fellow players and kick up a fuss every time you don't play either.

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

If Sporar is the kind of person who throws his toys out the pram by being told he's on the bench, he can get lost. I've not seen anything to suggest that at all though. Being unafraid to speak your mind doesn't mean you're going to sit there and lambast your fellow players and kick up a fuss every time you don't play either.

He was on the bench last week wasn't he?

30 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

Sporar didn't even travel so I think illness is far more likely than sulking.  We did win 4-1 last week, Sporar was on the bench for that one, and I think naming the same XI wouldn't be particularly controversial.